HOBBIT figures pricing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One reason why I can look at Weta the other way is for 2 things:
1) The Hobbit == Weta, so I'm ok to pay a bit more premium for the brand name

By saying Hobbit=Weta is it safe for me to assume you are saying you don't mind paying more money for Weta collectibles because they are the same folks that worked on the movies? If so, no doubt there are people who share your sentiment though I think most collectors today are more concerned with quality than with the company logo on the bottom of the base, esp. given the prices collectors have to pay these days. I know Weta likes to promote the fact they are the people who worked on the movies, and it is a catchy marketing slogan, but in reality I can see little or no evidence that the Weta name on the bottom of a base has ever made that collectible more valuable. Being made by the people who worked on the movies certainly didn't help me when I sold off my SSW Gandalf and Legolas statues for $30 and $20 apiece respectively when I decided to upgrade to Sideshow's versions. And it didn't help my LCS when they lost their shirts selling off huge numbers of SSW LOTR and Weta Narnia collectibles at 25% of retail several years ago. So while they may be some "sentimental" value to owning statues produced by Weta I see no intrinsic or tangible value. Personally speaking, I am of the belief that the best place for my money is my pocket, and the day's of me paying extra for a company logo stamped on a product are long gone. In short, if I can't see it, I'm not paying for it. I'll buy anything and everything Sideshow and Weta produce based on quality and perceived value, but I will not spend one extra penny just because of who made it. Not that there is anything wrong with those who feel differently than I do, but that is something I am just not comfortable with.

2) We ask, and they produce, and cater to our needs.

It is true, and commendable, that Weta offers collectors the opportunity to share their opinions, and then act on those requests. In fairness to Sideshow, they are simply too large a company to do that which Weta has done within the realm of their environment line, but I do give credit to Weta for doing something they do not have to do. But there is a double-edged sword aspect to this business model. I think one would have to be incredibly naive to think Weta is doing this primarily out of the goodness of their heart. They are first and foremost a business, and as such, their prime objective is to make money and to their credit they have succesfully tapped into a method in which they can make money and meet the needs of their customer base. However, I have to wonder if sometimes "tipping your hand" the way collectors do in relation to these environment's is the smart thing to do, or if it always produces the expected results. I would use Barad Dur as an example of this, as there is not a doubt in my mind collectors paid a dear premium for the right to own this environment. I do not begrudge Weta one iota for charging $700 for this statue, but it would not surprise me in the least if they tacked an additional $200+ onto the retail price for no other reason than they knew how much collectors wanted it and they knew collectors would be willing to pay dearly to own one.

Admittedly, I have on rare occasion visited the Weta forum, the last time I believe, was during the big push/campaign to have Barad Dur produced. And it absolutely stunned me to read the comment's of so many people actually telling Weta they would buy it whatever the cost. I know I'm getting on in age, but am I out of touch or have IQ's dropped significantly in recent years? Telling a company you'll buy their product no matter what the cost is like slitting your wrist and jumping into shark-infested waters. It's like ringing the dinner bell only to discover you're the dinner! I knew from the second this statue was officially announced it would be the most expensive environment to date, based on it's popularity and the response/willingness of collectors to pay whatever they had to. Ironically, this stategy by collectors of telling Weta to "please take our money" seems to have backfired somewhat, with the subsequent result being that this environment is beyond the reach [financially] of many of those who campaigned for, and really wanted it for their collections.

It also all boils down to individual taste:
1) I happen to like Weta's generic bases
2) The limited, numbered line -- agreed that Sideshow does a better job

That is true, base preference does come down to personal taste and I only mentioned this to emphasize my belief that Sideshow is providing better value for collectors. The Weta bases do manage to successfully cut production costs allowing Weta to increase their profit ratio, but I really don't see any benefit for collectors. They do provide a function though I do not personally consider these mass produced, "one size/color fits all" bases to be anything remotely artistic in nature. I much prefer the bases Weta used on classic statues such as the original balrog and cave troll, or the bases Sideshow currently uses on their PF and maquette lines. I think I just appeciate the additional time, effort and creativity required to produce these individually designed bases, and the extra dimension they add to the Sideshow statues. But regardless of whether one prefers the Sideshow or Weta bases, I think it pretty obvious that Sideshow's production cost's, where the bases are concerned, are significantly higher than Weta's. And personally speaking, I would rather pay $250 for a statue with an individually designed base/environment than $250 for one with a plain black base and the name "Weta" stamped on the bottom.

Last edited:
By saying Hobbit=Weta is it safe for me to assume you are saying you don't mind paying more money for Weta collectibles because they are the same folks that worked on the movies? If so, no doubt there are people who share your sentiment though I think most collectors today are more concerned with quality than with the company logo on the bottom of the base, esp. given the prices collectors have to pay these days. I know Weta likes to promote the fact they are the people who worked on the movies, and it is a catchy marketing slogan, but in reality I can see little or no evidence that the Weta name on the bottom of a base has ever made that collectible more valuable. Being made by the people who worked on the movies certainly didn't help me when I sold off my SSW Gandalf and Legolas statues for $30 and $20 apiece respectively when I decided to upgrade to Sideshow's versions. And it didn't help my LCS when they lost their shirts selling off huge numbers of SSW LOTR and Weta Narnia collectibles at 25% of retail several years ago. So while they may be some "sentimental" value to owning statues produced by Weta I see no intrinsic or tangible value. Personally speaking, I am of the belief that the best place for my money is my pocket, and the day's of me paying extra for a company logo stamped on a product are long gone. In short, if I can't see it, I'm not paying for it. I'll buy anything and everything Sideshow and Weta produce based on quality and perceived value, but I will not spend one extra penny just because of who made it. Not that there is anything wrong with those who feel differently than I do, but that is something I am just not comfortable with.

It is true, and commendable, that Weta offers collectors the opportunity to share their opinions, and then act on those requests. In fairness to Sideshow, they are simply too large a company to do that which Weta has done within the realm of their environment line, but I do give credit to Weta for doing something they do not have to do. But there is a double-edged sword aspect to this business model. I think one would have to be incredibly naive to think Weta is doing this primarily out of the goodness of their heart. They are first and foremost a business, and as such, their prime objective is to make money and to their credit they have succesfully tapped into a method in which they can make money and meet the needs of their customer base. However, I have to wonder if sometimes "tipping your hand" the way collectors do in relation to these environment's is the smart thing to do, or if it always produces the expected results. I would use Barad Dur as an example of this, as there is not a doubt in my mind collectors paid a dear premium for the right to own this environment. I do not begrudge Weta one iota for charging $700 for this statue, but it would not surprise me in the least if they tacked an additional $200+ onto the retail price for no other reason than they knew how much collectors wanted it and they knew collectors would be willing to pay dearly to own one.

Admittedly, I have on rare occasion visited the Weta forum, the last time I believe, was during the big push/campaign to have Barad Dur produced. And it absolutely stunned me to read the comment's of so many people actually telling Weta they would buy it whatever the cost. I know I'm getting on in age, but am I out of touch or have IQ's dropped significantly in recent years? Telling a company you'll buy their product no matter what the cost is like slitting your wrist and jumping into shark-infested waters. It's like ringing the dinner bell only to discover you're the dinner! I knew from the second this statue was officially announced it would be the most expensive environment to date, based on it's popularity and the response/willingness of collectors to pay whatever they had to. Ironically, this stategy by collectors of telling Weta to "please take our money" seems to have backfired somewhat, with the subsequent result being that this environment is beyond the reach [financially] of many of those who campaigned for, and really wanted it for their collections.

That is true, base preference does come down to personal taste and I only mentioned this to emphasize my belief that Sideshow is providing better value for collectors. The Weta bases do manage to successfully cut production costs allowing Weta to increase their profit ratio, but I really don't see any benefit for collectors. They do provide a function though I do not personally consider these mass produced, "one size/color fits all" bases to be anything remotely artistic in nature. I much prefer the bases Weta used on classic statues such as the original balrog and cave troll, or the bases Sideshow currently uses on their PF and maquette lines. I think I just appeciate the additional time, effort and creativity required to produce these individually designed bases, and the extra dimension they add to the Sideshow statues. But regardless of whether one prefers the Sideshow or Weta bases, I think it pretty obvious that Sideshow's production cost's, where the bases are concerned, are significantly higher than Weta's. And personally speaking, I would rather pay $250 for a statue with an individually designed base/environment than $250 for one with a plain black base and the name "Weta" stamped on the bottom.

My answer is simple...Weta/Sideshow whoever is a business...If they think they can get the money out of folks they will whether you like it or not...no emotion or kindness, etc...it's only business...that's it...true we would like bargains but it's not realistic unless you get lucky on ebay say...I for one am only buying L/E now...I have time to catch up on the rest....sometimes sentiment,nostalgia,subject matter,etc outweigh value,paint apps,size,base type, etc...ps I do believe the Weta statues are easily 50 dollars over priced...Barad-dur over 100 overpriced...but I love em

Last edited:
JHobbit, a man I can relate to. I see your post count is only at 6 but you'll quickly learn that many are into "being smart" about what they collect. Passion comes first, money last. I am not saying that people are being dumb about it either, I think many just like the stuff and don't care about exit strategies, long term value, etc. I can't separate my joy of a piece from the feeling of overpaying for it so getting a deal is a huge deal to me. But I am what they call a maximizer, do it with books, shoes, everything, must get the best deal.

That said, as much as I like all the new Hobbit stuff there is no rush to buy. The Bridge Direct stuff will be in clearance bins soon enough and no one will care anymore. Sad but true. So I focus on quality now, or try to. Its very easy to get pulled into the excitement of it all I must admit.

Last edited:
JHobbit, a man I can relate to. I see your post count is only at 6 but you'll quickly learn that many are into "being smart" about what they collect. Passion comes first, money last. I am not saying that people are being dumb about it either, I think many just like the stuff and don't care about exit strategies, long term value, etc. I can't separate my joy of a piece from the feeling of overpaying for it so getting a deal is a huge deal to me. But I what they call a maximizer, do it with books, shoes, everything, must get the best deal.

To get the best deal...buy L/E Statues and for all open editions statues wait a few years(quite a few) till the Hobbit/LOTR hoopla dies down then buy em cheap on Ebay...that's it IMHO

By saying Hobbit=Weta is it safe for me to assume you are saying you don't mind paying more money for Weta collectibles because they are the same folks that worked on the movies? If so, no doubt there are people who share your sentiment though I think most collectors today are more concerned with quality than with the company logo on the bottom of the base, esp. given the prices collectors have to pay these days. I know Weta likes to promote the fact they are the people who worked on the movies, and it is a catchy marketing slogan, but in reality I can see little or no evidence that the Weta name on the bottom of a base has ever made that collectible more valuable. Being made by the people who worked on the movies certainly didn't help me when I sold off my SSW Gandalf and Legolas statues for $30 and $20 apiece respectively when I decided to upgrade to Sideshow's versions. And it didn't help my LCS when they lost their shirts selling off huge numbers of SSW LOTR and Weta Narnia collectibles at 25% of retail several years ago.

Therein lies the rub. You look at a collectible like a stock with a price. I look at it as its personal value to me. I buy to own for life. To date, I have not had to sell any (knock on wood) of the ones I have. I don't buy to somehow make a profit when it comes to my collection. At the end of the day, you buy based on your comfort level, as I do mine. But, it's no basis to bash a company that doesn't fit your profile.

It is true, and commendable, that Weta offers collectors the opportunity to share their opinions, and then act on those requests. In fairness to Sideshow, they are simply too large a company to do that which Weta has done within the realm of their environment line, but I do give credit to Weta for doing something they do not have to do. But there is a double-edged sword aspect to this business model. I think one would have to be incredibly naive to think Weta is doing this primarily out of the goodness of their heart. They are first and foremost a business, and as such, their prime objective is to make money and to their credit they have succesfully tapped into a method in which they can make money and meet the needs of their customer base.

You forget Sideshow's humble beginnings was launched when they partnered with Weta to market the LOTR line. Sideshow's objective is to grow the collectibles' market. Weta's (if you hang around the forum to glean enough) is more a hobby by a bunch of great artists who share the passion of their fans. Sure they'll make money, but its borne of the passion primarily.

However, I have to wonder if sometimes "tipping your hand" the way collectors do in relation to these environment's is the smart thing to do, or if it always produces the expected results. I would use Barad Dur as an example of this, as there is not a doubt in my mind collectors paid a dear premium for the right to own this environment. I do not begrudge Weta one iota for charging $700 for this statue, but it would not surprise me in the least if they tacked an additional $200+ onto the retail price for no other reason than they knew how much collectors wanted it and they knew collectors would be willing to pay dearly to own one.

For the record I didn't buy Weta's Barad-Dur. The price justifies the size and effort placed into this. Did Weta learn their lesson. You betcha. Did the fans complain? You betcha. Still, at the end of the day, everyone understands where both camps are coming from, and both learn from their mistakes. It doesn't preclude the fact that Weta aims to please the fans though.

Again, what you consider artistic differs from someone else. I prefer simple elegance. For the record, I still buy Sideshow's products (maquette line). But the base sizes present their own display challenges as well. Weta's allows me to stack them on top of each other, as space becomes a limitation.

That said, as much as I like all the new Hobbit stuff there is no rush to buy. The Bridge Direct stuff will be in clearance bins soon enough and no one will care anymore. Sad but true. So I focus on quality now, or try to. Its very easy to get pulled into the excitement of it all I must admit.

The last time I did that with the SS/W statues, I thought I'd wait it out with the original Balrog, and Cave Troll, among others. What was Open editions on some quickly dried up. I played catch up but cost me dearly.

Timing the purchase is at times, like timing the stock market. Let's just say with over 10 years of collecting, I realize that the best time to buy something, is when you realize the quality, and taking every precaution to get the best deal sooner rather than later.

The last time I did that with the SS/W statues, I thought I'd wait it out with the original Balrog, and Cave Troll, among others. What was Open editions on some quickly dried up. I played catch up but cost me dearly.

Timing the purchase is at times, like timing the stock market. Let's just say with over 10 years of collecting, I realize that the best time to buy something, is when you realize the quality, and taking every precaution to get the best deal sooner rather than later.

Very true, would be cool to see the numbers of what it would cost to complete a complete set of Weta statues now versus if you had just paid retail for them all at the time of release. I usually find the best time to buy statues that are not sell outs (very are anymore) is right after it ships and people who paid an NRD 6 months prior have lost interest and dump it on eBay. Often they take a 25% haircut. I am not sure the stock comparison is fair though. We buy stocks but have no interest in the stock besides its value going up or the dividend it pays. I don't care about making money on a piece. I do care about it retaining value - a big difference. For me the joy of ownership is payoff enough. But not if you take a massive loss when selling, AND the key for me is that I have too many interests. There's so much cool stuff being made now, its amazing and bewildering at times. The point is, I buy some stuff to keep forever and this is generally very limited and expensive. And then I buy some stuff with the thought I may sell it at some point. This is generally everything made by Weta and SS.

Therein lies the rub. You look at a collectible like a stock with a price. I look at it as its personal value to me. I buy to own for life. To date, I have not had to sell any (knock on wood) of the ones I have. I don't buy to somehow make a profit when it comes to my collection. At the end of the day, you buy based on your comfort level, as I do mine. But, it's no basis to bash a company that doesn't fit your profile.

No, I look at collectibles the way I look at everything I consider buying. I look at the item, I determine whether or not it's worth the asking price, and I act accordingly. Which pretty well makes me the same as every other person living on this planet. And making a profit has nothing to do with it, but let's be honest here. There is not a person alive who would prefer their limited edition art collectibles go down in value as opposed to going up or at the very least retaining their initial value.

Now I don't pretend to know why you would accuse me of bashing Weta, and I can't really say I'm worried about it. But to prevent any misunderstanding's in the future let me just tell you where I'm coming from and we'll take it from there. I'm a fan of all things related to middle-earth. Loved the books, loved the movie's and I thoroughly enjoy collecting statues based on the movies. That's it. I do not have to convince myself that one collectible company is better than the other as a justification for overpaying for one companies products. I buy what I like, I don't buy what I don't like, and I couldn't care less about who made it. The only thing that interests me is the quality [and perceived value] of that particular product.. A quality statue is a quality statue, and a bad statue is a bad one and the company name on the bottom of the base isn't going to do jack sh$t to change that fact. Now if some people, in order to get through the day, have to believe a statue is "better" or more "special" not because of the quality, but because of who made it then that's their problem. I don't get into the politics of who made what, nor do I have any intention of playing such childish games. I do not consider one company to be "better" or more "special" than the other and I am more than content to let those juveniles with that "my dad is stronger than your dad" attitude fight it out in the sandbox by themselves. As for myself, I prefer to hang out with the adults, those who are secure/mature enough accept both Sideshow and Weta without any pre-conditions. Those who don't feel "threatened" by honest criticism or who feel the need to come to the defense of a company when they feel that company has somehow been slighted. I can think of alot things that are important in life, or worth getting bent out of shape over, but statue collecting isn't one of them. Hopefully, I'm not the only one who shares that sentiment.

You forget Sideshow's humble beginnings was launched when they partnered with Weta to market the LOTR line. Sideshow's objective is to grow the collectibles' market. Weta's (if you hang around the forum to glean enough) is more a hobby by a bunch of great artists who share the passion of their fans. Sure they'll make money, but its borne of the passion primarily.

I am well aware of Sideshow's meagre beginnings, I know all about their distribution partnership with Weta and I know what they are today. Now if you want to adhere to the PR press clippings and believe that somehow Weta is different from Sideshow or every other company that's existed since the beginning of time that is your perogative. But whereas you might not have a problem convincing the naive or gullible of such nonsense, I gave up believing in fairytales along time ago. And having owned a business myself for 25 years before recently retiring [a business that co-incidentally also started out as a hobby] gives me, I believe, a pretty clear understanding of what Weta is. And what they are is a multi-million dollar company that started from nothing, and one that worked their collective asses off to get where they are today. They are extremely successful because of their hard work and dedication, and they will do whatever they have to in order to remain that way. The people who work for Weta [or any other company for that matter] are not your friends, they're not your buddies, and they answer to no one outside of those who sign their paychecks. And whereas I am sure the individuals who make up Weta would prefer to be upright and honest with their customer base, they will always put their company's best interests first, and if that means having to occasionally conduct themselves in an unethical manner they will do so, and not give it a second thought. I apologize for injecting a bit of reality into this conversation, but I believe that makes Weta no different than any other major corporation currently operating on this planet.

And do you want to know why the company primarily "borne of the passion" has overpriced/overvalued their Hobbit line, and made it more difficult for the very fans who "share their passion" to afford? It's because they know they can overcharge their "passion-sharing fans". It's because they know their fans will pay regardless of the price. And how do they know this? They know because of the geniuses who constantly advertise they don't mind paying extra because apparently "Hobbit=Weta", and apparently Weta plan of taking full advantage of that knowledge. So remind me again how Weta is different from any other company?

For the record I didn't buy Weta's Barad-Dur. The price justifies the size and effort placed into this. Did Weta learn their lesson. You betcha. Did the fans complain? You betcha. Still, at the end of the day, everyone understands where both camps are coming from, and both learn from their mistakes. It doesn't preclude the fact that Weta aims to please the fans though.

As for the price of Barad Dur, the notion it is worth the price due to it's size and the effort required to produce it is subjective, and one which can only be answered on an individual basis. Now if this statue was sold out by now I might even agree with you, but it is not sold out and I suspect it won't be for a very long time. And based on my experience that is not indicative of a product which people feel they are getting full value for their money. Again, if I believed the time and effort that went in Barad Dur was on par with that of my Orthanc and Rivendell environment's combined, I would have bought it on day 1, but I do not personally believe that and as such I will be passing on this, at least until I can get one for cheaper.

But I am a bit confused here. In one sentence you say Barad Dur is worth the money and in the next you mention fan complaints and that Weta has learned their lesson. So which is it? If the price is justified [your words] then why were fans complaining? What were Weta's mistakes? And what exactly did they learn from those mistakes? I only ask because the last time I looked they were still charging $700 for Barad Dur and no offense, but stating "Weta's aim is to please their fans" when they haven't actually done anything to make that a reality really comes off sounding like something I would expect to find in a Weta PR statement. Now please feel free to continue in your role as the unofficial Weta spokesman, and when Weta actually follows up your words with concrete actions we can continue this conversation.

JHobbit, a man I can relate to. I see your post count is only at 6 but you'll quickly learn that many are into "being smart" about what they collect. Passion comes first, money last. I am not saying that people are being dumb about it either, I think many just like the stuff and don't care about exit strategies, long term value, etc. I can't separate my joy of a piece from the feeling of overpaying for it so getting a deal is a huge deal to me. But I am what they call a maximizer, do it with books, shoes, everything, must get the best deal.

To get the best deal...buy L/E Statues and for all open editions statues wait a few years(quite a few) till the Hobbit/LOTR hoopla dies down then buy em cheap on Ebay...that's it IMHO

I can't disagree with you guys. After seeing some of the Hobbit statues at SDCC I'm as tempted as anyone else to rush out and order these, but based on the pricing and open edition nature of these statues that's just not happening. If I want home decor accent pieces I can buy them at any furniture store, and for significantly less money. But if I'm going to pay these prices for art collectibles then I do prefer they be somewhat "collectible". And if Weta chooses to flood the market via open editions with their Hobbit line, that's fine too. I will simply wait for Hobbit fever to die [which is only a matter of time] and then purchase them. If I learned anything from the SSW days it is that paying retail prices for open edition or obscenely high ES's never works out well for the collector. Yes, there were some exceptions to the rule with statues such as Aragorn, Merry, and Bill/Sam but keep in mind those open edition statues were all pulled from production less than a year after the inception of the SSW line and all were pulled well before the line took off due to LOTR mania. So disappointing were the sales of these statues [Sam/Bill and Merry in particular] that Weta decided not to releasing the fellowship Pippin they had already sculpted and that was schduled for release within that first year.

As for the TO, Bilbo and Gandalf statues, there is not the slightest chance Weta will make the same mistake they made with the SSW line and pull those statues early. Not only will they not pull these statues from production for quite some time, I predict Gandalf will be available for the entire Hobbit line run just like the SSW Gandalf statue was available for pre-order the entire duration of the SSW line. So no, there is no rush to buy, and though I may have to wait awhile I will eventually add some Hobbit statues to my collection. The only difference being the cost of my collection [and others who share my patience] will be significantly less than that of some.

That's some heavy reading. :lol

For me I buy what I feel is worth it and don't give a darn if others feel the same. So for me a piece like Barad-Dur was totally worth it and I think it was clearly as detailed as Ortchanc/Rivendell. As far as OE pieces I bought Gandalf and Bilbo right away will do the same as others go up. If they go down for others to get that's fine but I'm not buying based on your habits and want these in my collection ASAP. That may not make me smart financially but I have a deep love for the material so I go with that up to a point.

As long as one can afford them get whatever you want and your heart's desire...I used to be that way but now unfortunately I cannot afford to anymore...I believe it or not am thinking of selling some of my LOTR collection...just a few pieces

As long as one can afford them get whatever you want and your heart's desire...I used to be that way but now unfortunately I cannot afford to anymore...I believe it or not am thinking of selling some of my LOTR collection...just a few pieces

I agree and I can't buy whatever. I won't let an OE make a decision for me is what I'm getting at.

I am a Tolkien fan first and foremost and, as such, I choose to collect only those things that appeal to my own aesthetic sense of Middle-Earth. I've no particular interest in either Sideshow or Weta, save only when their interpretation of that world and mine find common ground. Having said that, I do believe that the current Sideshow statue/maquette TLOTR line is the best that's ever been produced (didn't want or need the Snow Troll, though) and Weta's Barad-Dur is not only over-priced, it is rather boring and devoid of any real sense of menace.

In specific regard to "Hobbit Figures Pricing" the elephant in the room (at least for me) is that nobody has actually seen the movies yet. If Peter Jackson's vision of 'The Hobbit' veers too far away from the source material to the detriment of the Tokien legacy (I am being diplomatic here) then I won't want anything to remind me of that - no matter who makes it, or at what cost. So I'm sticking with my John Howe Smaug The Golden for now and will reserve judgement (and keep my pennies in my pocket) until I have seen his finished creation(s).

All being good, I hope that Sideshow secure the rights to produce a similar 'The Hobbit' line to compliment their fantastic current statue/maquette series and that Weta return to producing more affordable environments which appeal more to our imaginations - and with less emphasis on size.

Sean.

Question about pricing of the WETA statues:

I got in on the very first Sideshow LOTR figure and they were nice enough to give me a discount from the very start. I got all the figures I wanted at what I thought were fair prices.

Now I see the WETA statues and it looks to me we are paying two to three times what we were paying for the LOTR stuff and I know the cost of living and inflation has NOT doubled in ten years.

Is there anybody else bummed about this?

I'm not. :wink1:

Yes they are pricey, but who else will do them for less and to the same style? No one I believe :lecture

So... Politics aside.

Who wants these at some point? They are all 'stock' items and subject to sale prices later. Or withdrawal ala Reepicheep :1-1:

And do you want to know why the company primarily "borne of the passion" has overpriced/overvalued their Hobbit line, and made it more difficult for the very fans who "share their passion" to afford? It's because they know they can overcharge their "passion-sharing fans". It's because they know their fans will pay regardless of the price. And how do they know this? They know because of the geniuses who constantly advertise they don't mind paying extra because apparently "Hobbit=Weta", and apparently Weta plan of taking full advantage of that knowledge. So remind me again how Weta is different from any other company?
I was just curious where you gathered the info that Weta was overpriced/overvalued on their Hobbit line. I am unaware of where to get the authoritative view. If you feel it is overpriced, then I can respect your opinion. The way I see it, some items are too rich for my taste, and some are just right.

As for the price of Barad Dur, the notion it is worth the price due to it's size and the effort required to produce it is subjective, and one which can only be answered on an individual basis. Now if this statue was sold out by now I might even agree with you, but it is not sold out and I suspect it won't be for a very long time. And based on my experience that is not indicative of a product which people feel they are getting full value for their money. Again, if I believed the time and effort that went in Barad Dur was on par with that of my Orthanc and Rivendell environment's combined, I would have bought it on day 1, but I do not personally believe that and as such I will be passing on this, at least until I can get one for cheaper.

But I am a bit confused here. In one sentence you say Barad Dur is worth the money and in the next you mention fan complaints and that Weta has learned their lesson. So which is it? If the price is justified [your words] then why were fans complaining? What were Weta's mistakes? And what exactly did they learn from those mistakes? I only ask because the last time I looked they were still charging $700 for Barad Dur and no offense, but stating "Weta's aim is to please their fans" when they haven't actually done anything to make that a reality really comes off sounding like something I would expect to find in a Weta PR statement. Now please feel free to continue in your role as the unofficial Weta spokesman, and when Weta actually follows up your words with concrete actions we can continue this conversation.

What I meant is that Weta produced Barad-Dur without involving the customers on the price point. So they made this massive sculpt, with great details. For those people who need to have that scale, the price justifies the size and detail. For me, the price was too rich for me, and I would have preferred a smaller, less costly version. And that's what I perceive fans are up in arms with.

In reading your posts, it seems you appear to be a bit jaded with the collectibles as it pertains to LOTR/The Hobbit. For me, I still maintain a glint of hope and excitement as to what we may be offered. Ultimately, my wallet will decide which ones I get.

And I can respect that you've plied your trade as a business owner. But unless you're a Bill Gates or a Warren Buffett (and someone declared you a maven of collecting), I would treat you as equal in the choices we make when it comes to this hobby of ours. It is ultimately just a hobby.

Just a point on Weta's open edition Hobbit statues -

These 3 are really the main characters from The Hobbit. To have them available all throughout the films run makes sense. I'd be shockked if we see many more open editions. I can't see the rest of the dwarves being open editions, as surely some of the more obscure dwarves like Oin or Dori won't sell as much.
By the end, when all is said and done, i'm sure we'll have far more limited editions than open editions.

I would agree with that. You WANT people to have the three main characters. I would also expect Smaug to be an open since he's so important to the story. All that being sad I'm getting almost all the statues. :rock

Just a point on Weta's open edition Hobbit statues -

These 3 are really the main characters from The Hobbit. To have them available all throughout the films run makes sense. I'd be shockked if we see many more open editions. I can't see the rest of the dwarves being open editions, as surely some of the more obscure dwarves like Oin or Dori won't sell as much.
By the end, when all is said and done, i'm sure we'll have far more limited editions than open editions.

Yep, when all is said and done, hopefully I'll have all the offerings as well.

I was just curious where you gathered the info that Weta was overpriced/overvalued on their Hobbit line. I am unaware of where to get the authoritative view. If you feel it is overpriced, then I can respect your opinion. The way I see it, some items are too rich for my taste, and some are just right.

I think we've pretty much covered this topic ad nausem, and I believe any further discussion to be both futile and pointless so I'll just conclude with this.

You're not curious about anything. Your less than genuine remark is nothing more than a product of your inability to effectively debate the issue like an adult. I have clearly stated that my opinion of Weta's Hobbit pricing is in direct relation to the pricing of Sideshow's comparable LOTR maquette line. But you already know all this since you directly quoted my post as part of your initial response. And curiously enough, not only did you not disagree with my assessment, you responded by stating you didn't mind paying extra because "Hobbit=Weta", which is hardly the kind of response I would expect from someone who seemingly takes issue with my remarks. And also curiously enough, of all the people in this thread who share my belief, I seem to be the only one you to take issue with. Now I don't pretend to know why you've all the sudden changed your mind or why you've decided to resort to feigned indignation, but I do know one thing. I know that whereas I have clearly taken the time and effort required to explain why I believe what I believe, you have not. You have chosen the lazy and/or intellectually-challenged route of stating nothing to actually counter my opinion. Any fool can say "I don't believe you" or "Where'd you come up with that?", but it takes someone with a bit more intellect and ambition to debate a point using sound, tangible reason. And no offence, but I've seen little evidence from you that indicates you're up to the task.

And do I really need some "authoritative view" where common sense should suffice? Common sense tells me that flipping over the base on one of these new Hobbit statues and seeing no number means Weta can produce as many of these as they want. Common sense tells me that when the supply of a product outstrips the demand, that product will suffer devaluation. And common sense tells me that if Weta follows the same business model they used with the previous SSW line [too many open edition or obscene ES's] the results will be exactly the same. Weta, the company that supposedly prefers passion to profit will get filthy rich and collectors [or at least those not willing to wait] will end up with collections worth a fraction of their inital worth. So yes, I do believe Weta's open edition Hobbit statues are overpriced in relation to Sideshow's limited edition LOTR statues and I have seen nothing from you [probably because you haven't provided anything] at would even remotely lead me to question my position.

Now I do believe Weta has every right to ask whatever they want for their statues, and I am not telling anyone how to spend their money because that's none of my business. If people believe the Weta statues are fairly priced and they are willing to put down their hard-earned money to aquire them, then who am I to argue with them? I am only responsible for myself, and whereas I do not believe they are currently worth the asking price, the day will inevitably come when Hobbit fever begins to wane, and the value of these open edition statues begins to drop. And I am more than content to wait for that to happen before purchasing any of these statues.

In reading your posts, it seems you appear to be a bit jaded with the collectibles as it pertains to LOTR/The Hobbit. For me, I still maintain a glint of hope and excitement as to what we may be offered. Ultimately, my wallet will decide which ones I get.

I'm sorry, but to imply I am a bit "jaded" is to state I am "worn out or wearied" and that comment does not make the slightest bit of sense to be. It is true that my wallet does on occasion get worn out from me constantly shelling out money for my collection, but that's about it I'm afraid.

And I can respect that you've plied your trade as a business owner. But unless you're a Bill Gates or a Warren Buffett (and someone declared you a maven of collecting), I would treat you as equal in the choices we make when it comes to this hobby of ours. It is ultimately just a hobby.

Again, I don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about, and as such commenting would be pointless.

Back