Has anyone ever tried to raise a Detolf?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have four detolfs that I am looking to raise. Will be going the besta route for that. I was wondering if its safe to have legs install on the besta. Will the weight be too much?

Thanks in advance guys.

I got the legs with the intention of installing, but I ended up leaving them off. I thought it looked cleaner to just have the shelves on the floor with the cabinets on top. I also was potentially worried about how sturdy they'd be.

It will be fine. Remove the feet from the Detolf, screws through the underside of the tops of the Besta into the bottoms of Detolf. Attach everything to the wall at the top of each Detolf.

Thanks for the quick response. I will most likely skip the legs but wanted to know if that was an option in case I change my mind.

Thanks for the quick response. I will most likely skip the legs but wanted to know if that was an option in case I change my mind.

You should use short legs or something else to get the bottom of the Besta off the ground if you plan to put a door on it - just to make sure the door easily clears the floor and your feet, just like you see how a typical kitchen cabinet or most other cabinets are elevated a few inches.

Kallax is too fragile. Ikea's quality has never been great but with kallax they hit a new low. That crap is basically veneer with zigzagged cardboard inside to give it rigidity.

Amazon sells a piece of identical size with two drawers. It's still lame quality but at least it's solid particle board and once assembled they're very solid. That's what I used. It can hold 200lbs once assembled. Each detolf weighs 90lbs empty so you need to be sure your collection won't drop.

4c0152c7f4e44b564a132da37d5ba4c1.jpg

I have three cases on top of three drawer units. I keep all spare bits inside the drawers in labeled plastic containers so I can repose the figures whenever I want without having to pull the box from storage.

2d457f5db4771e1739ab7922d749ef00.jpg

A 1-unit Kallax cube is plenty strong enough. But both the Kallax and that two-drawer unit are somewhat short for use under a Detolf. That 2-drawer unit is also not meant to go on the floor - it doesn't hae a toe-kick. If you have multiple Detolf units (3 for example), the best option is what f00l was discussing, use a wide Besta unit on feet. Otherwise, I'll keep repeating myself, IKEA Kitchen Cabinet.

You should use short legs or something else to get the bottom of the Besta off the ground if you plan to put a door on it - just to make sure the door easily clears the floor and your feet, just like you see how a typical kitchen cabinet or most other cabinets are elevated a few inches.

Thats a really good point. Iam thinking about getting one of these

BESTÅ TV bench - black-brown - IKEA

and mounting 4 detolfs on top of it. I wanted to get the taller besta to raise it a bit more but also for extra display space. Are there legs that you recommend that are not that tall but just gives the doors enough clearance.

Are there legs that you recommend that are not that tall but just gives the doors enough clearance.

Make a rectangular frame out of wood and paint it black - set it in a couple of inches from the edge of the cabinet on the front, and leave it flush on the sides and back

I have the best wife in the world and per her suggestion, I'm going to be building a detolf bed headboard.

Our current headboard is about 35 inches tall. The idea is to find a cabinet tall enough and sturdy enough to sit behind our bed that can hold four Detolf display cases right next to each other.

I have a 4x4 expedit unit that would be perfect for the support but I'm not sure it can hold that much weight.

I figure I can't be the first one to try to put four detolfs on top of one of these.

Anyone?

You clearly haven't thought this through, how are you going to stop you're figures falling over when the bed's a rockin'?

You clearly haven't thought this through, how are you going to stop you're figures falling over when the bed's a rockin'?

Well, ideally the cases are going to be resting on a shelving unit as tall as the bed headboard. The bed would never touch the cases, it would be flat against the shelving unit.

Also the bed is one of those Asian inspired beds, very low and sturdy, it doesn't really rock when there's shenanigans occurring.

Also they would be fastened to the wall with brackets at the top for safety.

Ok. Is the Walmart Better Homes and Garden shelves the best option out there still for a 2 Detolf set up?

sorry if i've missed it, im off to ikea tomorrow as the plan is to raise my detolfs. I was planning on using Kallax but besta has caught my eye again , my question has anyone used this before? or think it would work?. I have a 2 cubed besta already which is pretty sturdy.

BESTÅ TV bench - white - IKEA Its pretty wide with enough room for 4 detolfs with a few cm's of space separating each, while not being stupidly high.

48b19f1c488846559cc33d3c2392d352.jpg

That's essentially what I have. It works great. I decided to keep comic books underneath. I don't remember what specific model I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got them raised up at the weekend, went with the besta tv bench i linked above aswell as a single cube to get the fifth unit raised:D

11056074_1048105271867753_45231723927677737_o.jpg

11888529_1048115615200052_2358634468099100107_o.jpg
Great set up man sitting at a nice height, I too will be going with the besta bench for 8 detolfs. What lights are you using and where did you purchase them?

Got them raised up at the weekend, went with the besta tv bench i linked above aswell as a single cube to get the fifth unit raised:D

11056074_1048105271867753_45231723927677737_o.jpg

11888529_1048115615200052_2358634468099100107_o.jpg

Those look to be the dioder lights. I'm curious how you hid all of the wires? Would you mind explaining? I have the same lights but there are wires everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back