Harmy's Star Wars Despecialized Edition Remastered MKV2.5 Now Available

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that Team Negative1 transfer of the original Star Wars is something else. Can't beat an original 1977 film reel. I had forgotten some of the more subtle changes made by the SE's (and not reversed by Harmy) like the redoing of all the blaster bolts. Very cool to see them in their original form again. Probably my preferred version of the film to watch at home now. I love seeing authentic stress lines that carried over from the film stock, reminded me a bit of how Planet Terror and Death Proof tried to recreate that "look" but for this edition of SW it's totally authentic. I couldn't help but smile at seeing those oval cue marks in the upper right corner for each reel change, talk about a blast from the past.

Thanks again jimmy, you continue to offer such an awesome service for us all. :duff

Last edited:
Wow that Team Negative1 transfer of the original Star Wars is something else. Can't beat an original 1977 film reel. I had forgotten some of the more subtle changes made by the SE's (and not reversed by Harmy) like the redoing of all the blaster bolts. Very cool to see them in their original form again. Probably my preferred version of the film to watch at home now. I love seeing authentic stress lines that carried over from the film stock, reminded me a bit of how Planet Terror and Death Proof tried to recreate that "look" but for this edition of SW it's totally authentic. I couldn't help but smile at seeing those oval cue marks in the upper right corner for each reel change, talk about a blast from the past.

Thanks again jimmy, you continue to offer such an awesome service for us all. :duff

I am glad you enjoyed it. I like it for the same reasons you do.

Where does one download a copy of Team Negative's Star Wars? :)

:wave:

Ok guys.

So with all the excitement I have gotten prepped and ready.

I have

Star Wars 2.5
ESB 2.0
RotJ 2.5

and

Team Negative's 35mm Scan

all on Blu.

:)

Jimmy did you say that Team Negative will be transferring 35mm film reels of ESB and ROTJ to blu-ray as well?

I know they were doing the RotJ cause that is what Harmy was using for parts of his Jedi.

I am hoping they complete the run.

This one took some time. I have been following the project for at least two or three years.

Did I read it right that there are things in the original Star Wars that are not restored in Harmys version, but are present in the team negative one?

Did I read it right that there are things in the original Star Wars that are not restored in Harmys version, but are present in the team negative one?

Yes but they're very minor and traditionally haven't been changes that have caused any controversy. Even Harmy left in the SE enhancements to the blaster bolts, the removal of ship transparencies and most matte boxes, vaseline smudge under Luke's landspeeder, different lighting on some of the visual effects to make them blend a little better, etc. Harmy just got rid of the blatant scene changes and all CGI. That's why he calls his editions "Despecialized" and not "True Theatrical Presentations."

I do actually like having the Team Negative theatrical 35mm because I actually am aware of those very minor tweaks due to watching the films so many times on VHS and laserdisc after seeing them in the theater during their original runs. But for someone who doesn't even notice those things Harmy is fantastic because it still basically "feels" like you're watching the original versions but with gorgeously restored picture quality.

Last edited:
Thanks, that gave a great explanation of the differences between the two and which one I should get...BOTH! ��

Yes but they're very minor and traditionally haven't been changes that have caused any controversy. Even Harmy left in the SE enhancements to the blaster bolts, the removal of ship transparencies and most matte boxes, vaseline smudge under Luke's landspeeder, different lighting on some of the visual effects to make them blend a little better, etc. Harmy just got rid of the blatant scene changes and all CGI. That's why he calls his editions "Despecialized" and not "True Theatrical Presentations."

I do actually like having the Team Negative theatrical 35mm because I actually am aware of those very minor tweaks due to watching the films so many times on VHS and laserdisc after seeing them in the theater during their original runs. But for someone who doesn't even notice those things Harmy is fantastic because it still basically "feels" like you're watching the original versions but with gorgeously restored picture quality.

Thanks for that...I definitely want both!

Just to ask anyone that's seen Harmy's ESB, the majority of the the Hoth scenes outside are pretty grainy, right? I'm seeing a lot of grain on the snow speeder scenes, and some color variances with slight yellows and slight pinks show up in otherwise all white scenes.

Maybe I should take some screen shots to show what I'm talking about, cuz I'm wondering if it's just that my tv needs a recalibration...

Anyone know where to get a copy of the "GOUT" version? Seeing Harmy's 2.5 ROTJ comparison shots, I think he's gone a little overboard on most of shots. It looks unnatural to me and I actually prefer his v1 of Jedi. But also seeing the GOUT, I would love to get a copy of that.

Thanks, that gave a great explanation of the differences between the two and which one I should get...BOTH! ��

Thanks for that...I definitely want both!

No problem guys. Both versions are valid, IMO. I actually think that Harmy's versions are the "Special Editions" that we all wanted in the first place. Restoring the negative, erasing the matte boxes and transparencies, and not really anything beyond that.

I do prefer the Team Negative transfer though. Just little things like when 3PO and R2's escape pod blasts off the way there's a certain way that the stars are all kind of flickering around it, you could tell that it was sort of a mistake but that's just how it was. Also the 20th Century Fox logo at the beginning. People may or may not remember that little squiggly mark that looks like a hair coming down from the top of the screen over the logo, whatever it was it was always there, on every copy of the film, VHS or otherwise. Harmy used a clean logo but Team Negative has the "hair." I love that! Little things like that really take me back to experiencing it in its original form, blemishes and all.

Back