Harmy's Star Wars Despecialized Edition Remastered MKV2.5 Now Available

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well now that Celebration has come and gone with no mention whatsoever of either a 40th anniversary theatrical or blu-ray release of the original theatrical cut I'd say that pretty much cinches Harmy's editions as definitive for the foreseeable future. If LFL was going to announce something this past weekend would have been the time to do it.

Well now that Celebration has come and gone with no mention whatsoever of either a 40th anniversary theatrical or blu-ray release of the original theatrical cut I'd say that pretty much cinches Harmy's editions as definitive for the foreseeable future. If LFL was going to announce something this past weekend would have been the time to do it.

Isn't it crazy that they didn't do something? You know they probably would have loved to put it back in theaters or put out an anniversary blu-ray, but they knew they couldn't do it unless it was an original, unaltered version. It just wouldn't make sense to mark the 40th anniversary by putting out a version that had stuff from 1997 in it. It's shocking to me they couldn't get something done.

Maybe we'll finally get the Original Unaltered OT release in 10 years for the bigger more important 50th Anniversary celebration. :lol Plus by then Star Wars will most likely be starting to, or already having burned out most casual fans, thus giving it another resurgence in popularity...

That really sucks. Thank God for Harmy! He's done an amazing job on these.
For anyone who wants them AS they were originally released, I can not stress enough how beautiful these look. I have not put in the BlueRay versions of the "Ruined Editions" since I've got these, & I don't feel like I'm missing anything. They look that good.

Extremely disappointed by this. They could easily just release them together. One being the directors cut with the special editions that George ****ed with. And then have the original trilogy remastered in the way that only Disney can do. They are so good at going back to their original movies and going frame by frame and cleaning them up for Bluray release. They could easily do the same to the OT.

Looks like Harmy's versions will be the only version I'll ever watch from now on. They are damn near perfect so that is great. Just wish it was official.

It's being reported that Kennedy's comments were taken out of context and that she was only saying that they'd never make additional "SE" type changes to the OT, not necessarily that they'd never release the original theatrical cuts.

I think that is just giving us false hope. It sure sounded like she wouldn't touch the OT because they were George's movies and he made the changes he wanted to them.

Well, they totally missed the boat with the 40th anniversary. They could release them at free random I suppose, but I guess the next "logical" time for them to do something would be if they release some giant box set with episodes I-IX, and include them there.

I was at the 40th anniversary panel. Once George walked out on stage I knew there was no way they were releasing anything despecialized. He wouldn't be there if they were planning something like that.

Lucas deserves all the credit in the world for creating Star Wars in the first place, but there's no denying he's an out of touch, bitter buffoon. The changes he made in the special editions would be regarded so much better if he would just put out the originals as well. How he can't see the importance, and historical significance of preserving the originals is mind boggling.

George should take some lessons from his pal Steven Spielberg...

For myself, I tried [changing a film] once and lived to regret it. Not because of fan outrage, but because I was disappointed in myself. I got overly sensitive to [some of the reaction] to E.T., and I thought if technology evolved, [I might go in and change some things]…it was OK for a while, but I realized what I had done was I had robbed people who loved E.T. of their memories of E.T. […] If I put just one cut of E.T. on Blu-ray and it was the 1982, would anyone object to that? [The crowd yells “NO!” in unison.] OK, so be it.

Lucas deserves all the credit in the world for creating Star Wars in the first place, but there's no denying he's an out of touch, bitter buffoon. The changes he made in the special editions would be regarded so much better if he would just put out the originals as well. How he can't see the importance, and historical significance of preserving the originals is mind boggling.

George even spoke out against altering movies in front of Congress in 1988 in regards to movie studios going and colorizing old black and white movies. Saying that was defacing them and that it would only be the beginning.

If only old George would have listened to young George.

They were NEVER doing that for 40th anniversary. 50th maybe as then Disney owns the rights to all but SW then it would make more financial sense to spend the money as they would have to give less to Fox.

George is a great business man. But in no way does he deserve sole credit for how massive of a success Star Wars was and is. Remember, Empire is the best of them all because George was kept away from making it.

George is a great business man. But in no way does he deserve sole credit for how massive of a success Star Wars was and is. Remember, Empire is the best of them all because George was kept away from making it.

:exactly: :goodpost:

I have been saying for a long time that Star Wars was a huge hit in spite of Lucas. The greatest evidence that Lucas never understood his creation can be found as early as the Star Wars Christmas Special.

Lucas is a great ideas man. But he needs other people who are masters of their craft to step in with control in order to make them masterpieces. Lucas became too revered by the people he worked with to ever be a good filmmaker ever again.

Back