Han Solo's Hoth jacket: Blue or Brown?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Han Solo's Hoth jacket: Blue or Brown

• Total voters
Brown is generally a combination of red & black - to varying degrees, plus white for tonal variation.

I'm sure it has others added for specific colours, but red & black is the main starting point.

solo-jacket3.jpg

Brown is generally a combination of red & black - to varying degrees, plus white for tonal variation.

I'm sure it has others added for specific colours, but red & black is the main starting point.

Generally it is a mixture of red, blue, and yellow. Red and black will give you a really odd shade brown.

If you guys are talking about PIGMENT/painting, then ya, green is a combination of blue and yellow. Add red and you have brown.

If you're talking about light and process color printing, then no. ;) Then red, blue and yellow are not the primaries. But everyone knows that already anyway, right? RGB (Red, Green Blue, additive) for light, CMY (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, subtractive) for light and print and RYB (Red Yellow and Blue, also subtractive) traditionally for pigments/painting. So if you're dong traditional painting, you'll be taught RYB, if you're doing old-school film/negative photography processing or any kind of modern printing, CMY. Digital photography, RGB. And of course you can't make black with additive color and you can't make white with subtractive (nor is the black "really" black either). One or the other is not a color at all, depending on the model. You can get away with treating them both as non-colors, just shades. All colors or no colors.

Try keeping these all straight in school where you have to switch to a different model multiple times in one day depending on whether you're painting, printing (including color photos in the dark room), or using a computer, on which I've been drawing/painting since the early 80's.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think we brought up both somehow there. :lol

Maybe the other guys were talking about light & the jacket again.. I was talking about pigment more so.

I watched the 2007 DVD this morning (the laser disc master) and the coat nearly always looks brown. I think people seeing blue just have too fond memories of the Kenner figure. There are times where your mind can make it look blue due to darker lighting and blue tints on the whole picture, but it's most definitely brown. Is this really an argument or is it just asking how you will display it?

Displaying it with the blue coat to me is liking wanting to display a SSC Farmboy and Bespin Luke with a yellow lightsaber, Hoth Luke with a red scarf, Darth Vader with a collar/hood on his cape, and Han Solo with an oversized head with an alternate undersized head. I wouldn't do it, but if that's what you'd like, it's cool SSC is giving collectors the option!

blah blah blah blue
blah blah blah brown........

i'm going to get my lawyer to straiten this out

Bob Loblaw
3x3_Bob_Loblaw.png

It's a Bob Loblaw Law Bomb!

This thread would be a hoot if I hadn't read all this a million times before! There are no winners in this debate...but we will all be winners when we get this figure because they SSC is covering all the bases by giving us both color jackets!

Last edited:
If you guys are talking about PIGMENT/painting, then ya, green is a combination of blue and yellow. Add red and you have brown.

If you're talking about light and process color printing, then no. ;) Then red, blue and yellow are not the primaries. But everyone knows that already anyway, right? RGB (Red, Green Blue, additive) for light, CMY (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, subtractive) for light and print and RYB (Red Yellow and Blue, also subtractive) traditionally for pigments/painting. So if you're dong traditional painting, you'll be taught RYB, if you're doing old-school film/negative photography processing or any kind of modern printing, CMY. Digital photography, RGB. And of course you can't make black with additive color and you can't make white with subtractive (nor is the black "really" black either). One or the other is not a color at all, depending on the model. You can get away with treating them both as non-colors, just shades. All colors or no colors.

Try keeping these all straight in school where you have to switch to a different model multiple times in one day depending on whether you're painting, printing (including color photos in the dark room), or using a computer, on which I've been drawing/painting since the early 80's.
Funny thing is you can actually create RGB from CYM

Back