Gun collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From all the research I've done, they seem to be in the same catagory. You'll find die hards that swear by their brand wherever you look, and for the most part they all fire whatever you put in it for thousands of rounds without a hiccup. The notable exceptions would be some of the builds, mating the lower and upper, as these are usually put together by people combining the cheapest parts they can scrounge on cheaper than dirt or similiar venues, and I've read that a lot of the parts do not get tested, or worse, are not deemed spec. You can still save a bunch by going that route and end up with a great rifle. I don't think that there's enough of a diference to justify any of the major manufacturer's over another. I looked at the Colt's first, being that they had been around the longest and have plenty of happy customers but got my Bushmaster because they have great customer service if there's any issues. I've already fired about 800 rounds and have not had any issues(FTE's FTF's). Since the price difference between all of the major manufacturers are less than a value pack of Federal's, go with what you prefer visually, because that's going to be the only real difference. (I like having the snake on the side)
P9100009.jpg

Nice! Got a bushmaster AR about a month ago and am in love. I took a buddy out to shoot yesterday and had a target on a junk tree that was about 10 inches wide. It took about 120 rounds before the tree fell!
How did you like using a holographic sight? I haven't used one yet but was planning to upgrade my red dot sight to a better red dot and was curious if they were a better option, or just a matter of preference.

For me it is just preference.

Just bought my first 1911: a Kimber Stainless II .45 ACP!

vu7eheba.jpg

Girlfriend bought a Remington BuckMaster .22 as well.

Going shooting on Thursday. Can't wait!

Anyone have any good suggestions on good self defense ammo for my 1911?

I love Hornady hollow points for my Glock 23....

vu7eheba.jpg

Gold Dots, but I myself wouldn't use my 1911 for HD or self defense

So no AK fans? Only AR?

My next rifle will be an AK. Im leaning Arsenal. Mainly because of the better quality finish. I just don't like the paint or wood on the Wasr's. Only negative I've read on the Arsenal is that some solvents can harm their finish. I figure I'll go with frog lube or something similar to be safe.

vu7eheba.jpg

That's a beautiful pistol, congrats!

Would like to get a Kimber someday

Can't really help ya, I'm a Scar and M1A guy. What I know of AK's though is they aren't very accurate.

I really didn't have interest in AKs because of accuracy, but read that Arsenals shoot pretty good groupings but I'm not getting it for target. I got my DDM4 for that. I just want a fun shooting reliable (I know AR can be reliable too) simple and close to a standard AK with a folding stock and a bayonet lug that eats anything. The AK probably shoots better than myself.

ddm4.jpg

My next rifle will be an AK. Im leaning Arsenal. Mainly because of the better quality finish. I just don't like the paint or wood on the Wasr's. Only negative I've read on the Arsenal is that some solvents can harm their finish. I figure I'll go with frog lube or something similar to be safe.

:goodpost::exactly: I use frog lube on all my fire arms. I just dropped $1k for a AK :gah: :monkey2 first then be :) once in my possession. I ended up with the SLR 107-21 and got a couple of 30rds Bulgarian mags to go with it.
SLR107-21-2.jpg

SLR107-21-3.jpg

If you want a .308 cal with folding stock why not go for the scar 17s? Beats a ak any day IMO. Unless toy jet want the ak for the sake of hving a ak that is, lol.

If you want a .308 cal with folding stock why not go for the scar 17s? Beats a ak any day IMO. Unless toy jet want the ak for the sake of hving a ak that is, lol.

Yup, just the sake of having an AK. Even tho its a AK variant the track records shows its reliability, etc. I would love a scar, but wouldn't pay the amount for that.

I think that is wise.

But if a person does use a 1911 for HD, ask your gun pros what ammo they have that is the least likely to go through your walls and your nrighbors'.

I like power ball for my HD rounds because I think it cycles more freely.

I wouldn't hesitate to use 1911 or .45 for HD, but not that particular model Kimber, or probably any Kimber. I have that same model and it's been rather fussy. But I've only put 650 rounds through it. I have had several FTF's. It does feel pretty badass to shoot though lol. But the overall maintenance on a stainless gun rules it out for real life situation for me.

I think that is wise.

But if a person does use a 1911 for HD, ask your gun pros what ammo they have that is the least likely to go through your walls and your nrighbors'.

I like power ball for my HD rounds because I think it cycles more freely.

I wouldn't hesitate to use 1911 or .45 for HD, but not that particular model Kimber, or probably any Kimber. I have that same model and it's been rather fussy. But I've only put 650 rounds through it. I have had several FTF's. It does feel pretty badass to shoot though lol. But the overall maintenance on a stainless gun rules it out for real life situation for me.

The reason why I wouldn't use a 1911 model for HD is because of the safety behind the grip. Imagine you lose your perfect grip around your 1911 and you end up holding it upside down with your pinky finger on the trigger aimed right on the intruder while he is holding you down. It will never go bang because the safety behind the grip is not pressed. There is too many scenarios. I'd rather grab my glock 17 or 19. If I'm using a .45acp for HD it will be my HK45ct. But that's just my opinion.

The reason why I wouldn't use a 1911 model for HD is because of the safety behind the grip. Imagine you lose your perfect grip around your 1911 and you end up holding it upside down with your pinky finger on the trigger aimed right on the intruder while he is holding you down. It will never go bang because the safety behind the grip is not pressed. There is too many scenarios. I'd rather grab my glock 17 or 19. If I'm using a .45acp for HD it will be my HK45ct. But that's just my opinion.

Similar argument is made regarding hamerless revolvers and holding a cylinder in place preventing it from firing. My feeling is that at home you have more distance than for carrying. I wouldn't want .380 for HD but would be practical for carry.

Agreed HK is better option for HD in 45 over 1911.

Also agree on HD choice. We are set up with 9mm m&p's with no safety. Similar to your glocks.

I think that is wise.

Yeah, I'll definitely reach for the Glock first: more capacity (10 rounds here in Cali.... YUK!) and I've got an Osprey TacLight with green laser on it...

But still can't wait to her that 1911 crack some shots!!!

Similar argument is made regarding hamerless revolvers and holding a cylinder in place preventing it from firing. My feeling is that at home you have more distance than for carrying. I wouldn't want .380 for HD but would be practical for carry.

Agreed HK is better option for HD in 45 over 1911.

Also agree on HD choice. We are set up with 9mm m&p's with no safety. Similar to your glocks.

I guess it all depends on your house hold, I would use 38spl over the 357 in my revolver, maybe cycle five 38spl and the last round 357. Don't want to take the risk of penetration.

Yeah I don't like my pistols with safety, thats why I got a HK45ct v3 (no safety, dec ocker only)

I'm still gonna love my glocks but once my PPQ arrives I may favor it.

Yeah, I'll definitely reach for the Glock first: more capacity (10 rounds here in Cali.... YUK!) and I've got an Osprey TacLight with green laser on it...

But still can't wait to her that 1911 crack some shots!!!

But at the end it's a must on owning atleast a 1911 in your arsenal/collection.

Back