Green Lantern - General One Sixth Figure Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hot Toys Green Lantern - Official License Announcement

Realistically the longer this takes the better the odds for at least two figures from this license. A rubber suit and sculpt is child's play really for HT so you know it's not that simplistic, I have to imagine that whatever they are doing for this has to be complex especially to draw it out for so long so I think at minimum to make the most of whatever they are doing we'll get both Sinestro and Hal.

I dont mind waiting and i hope they do a few weps or at least the minigun.

Realistically the longer this takes the better the odds for at least two figures from this license. A rubber suit and sculpt is child's play really for HT so you know it's not that simplistic, I have to imagine that whatever they are doing for this has to be complex especially to draw it out for so long so I think at minimum to make the most of whatever they are doing we'll get both Sinestro and Hal.

Hope your right mike. I feel this is the same basic idea for tron, which is why its on hold.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. The Sucker Punch dollies took a long time to be shown following announcement, and didn't look like anything special (in terms of requiring novel engineering or whatnot). Same with Superman, apart from tweaks to the head sculpt. Some figures just take longer to get shown following announcements than do others. And frankly, I doubt this is a major, priority project for them at this point, considering the movie has come and gone from the theaters and never had much hype once the movie was released anyway. I doubt the sales would be very different whether this figure is released in 6 months, a year, or a year and a half from now.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. The Sucker Punch dollies took a long time to be shown following announcement, and didn't look like anything special (in terms of requiring novel engineering or whatnot). Same with Superman, apart from tweaks to the head sculpt. Some figures just take longer to get shown following announcements than do others. And frankly, I doubt this is a major, priority project for them at this point, considering the movie has come and gone from the theaters and never had much hype once the movie was released anyway. I doubt the sales would be very different whether this figure is released in 6 months, a year, or a year and a half from now.

They could be holding him off for some renewed hype over the BR/DVD release. :huh

I wouldn't be so sure of that. The Sucker Punch dollies took a long time to be shown following announcement, and didn't look like anything special (in terms of requiring novel engineering or whatnot).

True but we got two off the bat with mentions of more possibly depending on sales so my thought is that for paying for the license they'll want to milk it appropriately when they can which would mean the easiest to do that with which is Hal and Sinestro since their suits are a basic change but you've got the human/humanoid structure as opposed to Hal and Kilowog or Hal and Tomar Re which would require a new body for the second.

Same with Superman, apart from tweaks to the head sculpt. Some figures just take longer to get shown following announcements than do others.

Superman is a project that can't really be compared to others because Christopher Reeve is a different sculpt issue than Ryan Reynolds. If it kind of resembled Reynolds I don't think you'd get the same venom as it was when people were picking apart their Superman sculpt because he comes with more nostalgia that Reynolds will ever have.

And frankly, I doubt this is a major, priority project for them at this point, considering the movie has come and gone from the theaters and never had much hype once the movie was released anyway. I doubt the sales would be very different whether this figure is released in 6 months, a year, or a year and a half from now.

I firmly believe that HT doesn't give a ____ about the movie sales. They've shown time and time again that they can take a ____ movie and make a mint off of it based on the figure itself. Look at the Predators license or the recent Terminator films. They've also shown when there is very little interest even in a top 10 box office smash that they'll just walk away. HT knows if it knocks this out of the park people will buy the Lanterns regardless of the films because one thing that was constantly applauded was the film designs. Not to mention with the TDK fury and the undoubted arrivals of the Cavill Superman people will want a GL to stand next to them in some sort of JL look especially when the Marvel folks are getting the Avengers.

If I were a gambling I would bet heavy money that the film's box office or lack there of in comparison to the other films of the summer have no bearing on the product nor does people's thoughts of it. They announced the license right the week the film was released with all the bad reviews and tearing apart of the film firmly stated, they could have simply dodged the license completely. Not to mention that officially WB stated that the budget was $200 million disregarding the additional as part of the budget itself and to date it's made $219 million (worldwide) on box office alone not counting in DVD/BR sales or merchandising.

HT has spun gold with less than these could be

Agreed Mike, Box Office return doesn't matter, if a film is poor but has excellent character designs fans will be drawn to them for the character designs alone.

People like the AVP and Predators figures cos of the cool design not the quality of the film or its gross.

X-Men first Class didn't perform magically at the BO but i reckon the figures will be a sleeper hit just like the film.

If characters look great, the film's quality or earnings means squat, just look at Darth Maul, everyone loves that character design and there are tons of merchandise for him, and he's from 'The Phantom Menace', same with Bayformers, suckish movies / good design.

I would like to see an announcement too but can wait if they give us at least two figures from this line. I would love for a Hal and Sinestro.

I would like to see an announcement too but can wait if they give us at least two figures from this line. I would love for a Hal and Sinestro.

That would be awesome, not many cool comic villains have been done by HT.

I think only Hal is a safe bet right now.

They'll be more inclided to go this route instead...

The_Iron_Lantern_by_StarDragon77.jpg

:rotfl

Active discussion in the GL thread :yess: Bottom line the costume designs were amazing regardless box office sales or opinions about the movie IMO. I want a Lantern (hopefully 3) on my shelves....

I could also see a yellow Sinestro variant at sdcc next year too.

i wish this would warrant an sdcc exclusive. that is my 2nd favorite dc character in his sunday best!

i wish this would warrant an sdcc exclusive. that is my 2nd favorite dc character in his sunday best!

I can actually see a yellow Sinestro as an SDCC Ex. Assuming they do a Green Lantern Sinestro, he'd be a cheap variant that would sell out in a heartbeat.

What's taking so long for this thing? Wasn't this announced nearly a year ago?

Was June a year ago?

I bet they do a Sinestero Lantern inspired TDKR Batman variant before they ever release an actual movie Green Lantern figure. 1/6 and 1/4.

:lol

I'm sure that HT would prefer to release something when hype was highest if at all possible, but I agree that it doesn't matter so much for HT to do that compared to, say, Hasbro (and of course, HT almost never comes close to doing that, so it probably doesn't play too much into their decisions).

But the fact that it doesn't matter at this point supports the idea that HT can drag its feet and put this on the back-burner. Time between announcement and release dates for HT are all over the place. Very little time for Ghost Rider, much more time for Indy DX Indy, etc. We can speculate as to the reasons, but really, it could be any number of things. Prioritizing other releases seems just as likely as trying to nail down likeness rights, perfecting a new suit, waiting for a complementary figure to be completed, strategically spacing out releases from a certain line (in this case, potentially being DC figures generally), etc. Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back