Godzilla Collectibles Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ghidorah is up on the Bandai Japan site. Never used it before, but it looks like one must be in Japan to register and order there?

Very nice, congrats. Definately one of my grails. Someday...
Thank you! Yes, it's been on my list for quite some time.
I'm lucky I found it at a very good price!

Really cool, hadn't seen that one before. I wish I hadn't missed out on all the good Shin Godzilla pieces, just wasn't on my mind at the time.
Yes, this one I don't know why, people rarely know or talk about it, compared to the X-Plus Gigantic Shin Godzilla..
But actually,
From what I read online, this is the maquette that started it all.. Hideaki Anno (the director) need a maquette made from the concept art of Shin Godzilla for the movie, and so Takayuki Takeya, a legendary Japanese sculptor, made the prototype/maquette for the movie.

So basically this is the first actual 3D form of Shin Godzilla (4th form) ever created, and used as the guidance for the movie (both animatronic and CGI).
Indirectly, that means every other Shin Godzilla figures/statues are based from this Kaiyodo Shin Godzilla maquette.

This one's also bigger than the X-Plus Gigantic Shin Godzilla. The maquette's 71,2cm tall and 105,5 cm wide.

I believe the original price was at least $1K, where the X-Plus were like 1/3-1/2 that cost. I think price put the Kaiyodo off a lot of radars. You can’t beat having a scale, exact replica of the movie maquette.

I believe the original price was at least $1K, where the X-Plus were like 1/3-1/2 that cost. I think price put the Kaiyodo off a lot of radars. You can’t beat having a scale, exact replica of the movie maquette.

Looking from the website "Hobbylink Japan", the pre order price for the Kaiyodo Shin was $866, while the X-Plus Gigantic Shin pre-order price was $674. Not including shipping from Japan, and tax etc of course, so there isn't that big of a difference. Sure, with $192 you can buy a set of Marvel Legends, but it's not that big of a difference, especially considering that the Kaiyodo one is bigger, so the higher price is I think, in a way, fair.

But yes, I agree, the Kaiyodo maquette being more expensive put off some people, and I think the X-Plus Gigantic Shin being produced from a well known series of Gigantic X-Plus Kaiju, made it more well known compared to the one off Kaiyodo Shin Godzilla. It didn't come out of a series/line of figures as far as I know.

And I also agree, this is the real deal, the exact replica of the movie maquette, so basically this is the mother of all Shin Godzilla sculpt out there. The ultimate Shin Godzilla sculpt.

26952464_10156456950223072_6067777452998995680_o.jpg

EzrOItMXMAUSNSD.jpeg

Pic from Takeya sensei's WIP of the maquette.

Beautiful. I much prefer this pose to the x plus. Did you get a good deal?
Me too, this is a neutral pose, but also appeared in the movie itself.
And yes, I did get a good deal, I bartered it (along with few other figures) with my artwork (a comic cover I made for a well known publisher), so yeah, it really is a great deal. :D

Last edited:
True, X-Plus is a more known name with current collectors. I personally am very familiar with Kaiyodo and own a few of their older pieces from when Sakai did work for them.

I wanted Kaiyodo shin, but $300 is about the limit I can swing on a single item these days, even back in 2016.

My custom Bandai suits me well enough.

5B862F8F-1DF9-4278-8362-F220310787A2.jpeg

Looking from the website "Hobbylink Japan", the pre order price for the Kaiyodo Shin was $866, while the X-Plus Gigantic Shin pre-order price was $674. Not including shipping from Japan, and tax etc of course, so there isn't that big of a difference. Sure, with $192 you can buy a set of Marvel Legends, but it's not that big of a difference, especially considering that the Kaiyodo one is bigger, so the higher price is I think, in a way, fair.

But yes, I agree, the Kaiyodo maquette being more expensive put off some people, and I think the X-Plus Gigantic Shin being produced from a well known series of Gigantic X-Plus Kaiju, made it more well known compared to the one off Kaiyodo Shin Godzilla. It didn't come out of a series/line of figures as far as I know.

And I also agree, this is the real deal, the exact replica of the movie maquette, so basically this is the mother of all Shin Godzilla sculpt out there. The ultimate Shin Godzilla sculpt.

View attachment 533890

View attachment 533891
Pic from Takeya sensei's WIP of the maquette.

Me too, this is a neutral pose, but also appeared in the movie itself.
And yes, I did get a good deal, I bartered it (along with few other figures) with my artwork (a comic cover I made for a well known publisher), so yeah, it really is a great deal. :D

thanks for the info. Sounds like THE Shin Piece to own.

This is the first I’ve heard of this maquette. I appreciate the breakdown. How much does this piece sell for these days?

True, X-Plus is a more known name with current collectors. I personally am very familiar with Kaiyodo and own a few of their older pieces from when Sakai did work for them.

I wanted Kaiyodo shin, but $300 is about the limit I can swing on a single item these days, even back in 2016.

My custom Bandai suits me well enough.
Indeed.. that made them a bit mainstream, even for the relatively exclusive kaiju collectors.
It is great that you can set a limit to spend on a single item, many can't have such self control, including me. *ugh 😫
And your custom Bandai looks great, my friend! 👍

thanks for the info. Sounds like THE Shin Piece to own.

This is the first I’ve heard of this maquette. I appreciate the breakdown. How much does this piece sell for these days?
My pleasure! It is indeed.
And you're welcome. I think these days this piece sells for above $1800.
It is very huge though. I have this pic from another member here, Chip, carrying the box.. you can check his pics on Chip's Twitter!
DfZ2lL7X0AE6Vhf.jpeg

I'm smaller than him so my pose when I try to carry it is not that cool, lol.

Last edited:
It is very huge though. I have this pic from online, of a collector carrying the box (sorry I can't credit who he is, as I got it from google image search):
View attachment 534035

I'm smaller than that guy so my pose when I try to carry it is not that cool, lol.
HAHAHA, that would be me actually - and that's the biggest box I have in my attic. The box of the standart edition of the X-Plus Gigantic 2016 came close though (when they had the tail in one part instead of two like on the Ric versions). Feel free to check out my Twitter for mor images of this and other cool Godzilla figures: https://twitter.com/Shin_Gojira_66

Last edited:
HAHAHA, that would be me actually - and that's the biggest box I have in my attic. The box of the standart edition of the X-Plus Gigantic 2016 came close though (when they had the tail in one part instead of two like on the Ric versions). Feel free to check out my Twitter for mor images of this and other cool Godzilla figures: https://twitter.com/Shin_Gojira_66
Whoa! Yeah, I've edited my post now, that is a cool pic indeed. And your pics inspired me to get this Kaiyodo Shin as well! Thanks dude.. for breaking my wallet! hahahaha.
But seriously you took great pics of Shin Godzillas. Awesome, dude!

Back