GIMLI Customs...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The TB Gimli was the best figure they did in the whole line. I do think the likeness is much better than DiD too - I'm pretty sure DiD didn't even try for likenesses. I really wish I could find mine - I have at least 2 TB Gimlis and 1 Did - somewhere.

Ha, sounds like my house Dave. I have kept one DiD Gimli on display and managed to get modellers loft last one for the TB/DiD fusion. The Toybiz Gimli I found in my son's old toybox!!

Don't tell him!!!!:eek:

Thanks Mudshark. I'm with you. Everything I have seen of the DiD Gimli suggest its better to me. How are the weapons?

The weapons are one of the best features of the entire figure. The 5 axes all have metal blades, real wooden hafts and are wrapped with leather material. The only thing not included is a pair of small throwing axes, but those shouldn't be too hard to scratch build. Someone here already did that and posted pics a while ago. I plan to do the same thing when I have the time.

I have the three armored figures from Dragon Models (Olaf the Viking, and both Lord Arnaut & De Kere from Timeline) and will post some reference pics of their chain mail hauberks here tomorrow. I can add some shots of DiD Gimli's weapons for ya, too.

That's a real treasure trove of Gimli photos. Some are a bit too small to be of much use, but I found some real gems in there! Lots of different looks to choose from, too, as well as some excellent costume references. Great find!

It looks like ToyBiz went for the "well-manicured" look with his beard (as he appears in many of the studio shots), while DiD went for the "in the field", full-bearded look.

The weapons are one of the best features of the entire figure. The 5 axes all have metal blades, real wooden hafts and are wrapped with leather material. The only thing not included is a pair of small throwing axes, but those shouldn't be too hard to scratch build. Someone here already did that and posted pics a while ago. I plan to do the same thing when I have the time.

I have the three armored figures from Dragon Models (Olaf the Viking, and both Lord Arnaut & De Kere from Timeline) and will post some reference pics of their chain mail hauberks here tomorrow. I can add some shots of DiD Gimli's weapons for ya, too.

Awesome. I was hesitant to get Gimli from DiD but now I am glad I did. :duff

:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2My wife is making me go shopping.:monkey2:monkey2I'll work on him when I get home.

Excellent!

Just secured my DiD Gimli today -- from the same person everyone has been getting their Gimlis from. She must have horded a lot of them.

Now all I need is some good chainmail and I can build the ULTIMATE GIMLI too.

Excellent!

Just secured my DiD Gimli today -- from the same person everyone has been getting their Gimlis from. She must have horded a lot of them.

Now all I need is some good chainmail and I can build the ULTIMATE GIMLI too.

I got one also. You're right, the seller does seem to have a few of these. Get 'em while you can gang. :joy

OK, finally got around to opening the ToyBiz GIMLI today.

The outfit needs to be replaced, but let's see what you all think of the sculpt.

Here's the full figure, with and without helmet. The boots and gauntlets are also nice. Belt's not bad either. Not sure where they got the braided straps from.

GIMLI1-1.jpg

GIMLI2.jpg

GIMLI3.jpg

Here's some close ups in daylight -- note the detailing in the beard, although incorrect color, you can see all the braided bits, etc:

GIMLI4.jpg

GIMLI5.jpg

Here's some pics to compared sculpt size, as the TB Gimli's sculpt is smaller...however with helmet on he looks scaled more or less. Sorry about the last blurry shot, trying to get the heads closer together.

GIMLI6.jpg

GIMLI7.jpg

GIMLI8.jpg

Here's a size compare with Gandalf and Frodo:

GIMLIcomparesize.jpg

As you can see, it's not so much that Gimli is too small, it's that Frodo is too large when placed with a human sized figure. However, since we can't shrink Frodo, best to make Gimli a little taller. That is impossible with the ToyBiz figure -- I have him standing straight up in the pic above -- so it does look like that DiD body will work to give him a bit of height.

I think it's clear that you also need the DiD figure for its much more accurate pants and 'robe/tunic' and belts and all those axes.

The other problem I noticed is that when you put the ToyBiz head and gauntlets and boots on the DiD figure, the figure looks a bit off -- like the head and boots are too "wee" to be Gimli's tank-like squat body. Personally I think the DiD body is a tad too big/tall. I will not know for sure until I receive mine, but I may hack a section out of his legs to bring him just a bit down to size. Either that, or he will be posed in perminent crouch mode.

I hope these pics help anyone out there get a good view now of what they can expect from this ToyBiz figure.

I leave you with a last pic of Hobbit vs Dwarf:

GIMLI9.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics.

I think you're right and that the DID body might have to be shortened a bit. The Toybiz sculpt is better, though a tad small, but the DID beard is better and longer. The boots and gauntlets are better on Toybiz as well, but again a bit small. Right now I'm planning on an altered DID base body - I might Frankenstein a True type instead, DID clothing and weapons, Toybiz helmet, altered Toybiz boots, armor, gauntlets and headsculpt along with the Timeline chainmail with everything repainted and weathered.

Thanks for the pics.

I think you're right and that the DID body might have to be shortened a bit. The Toybiz sculpt is better, though a tad small, but the DID beard is better and longer. The boots and gauntlets are better on Toybiz as well, but again a bit small. Right now I'm planning on an altered DID base body - I might Frankenstein a True type instead, DID clothing and weapons, Toybiz helmet, altered Toybiz boots, armor, gauntlets and headsculpt along with the Timeline chainmail with everything repainted and weathered.

My plan too.

What do you mean by "altered TB boots"?

My plan too.

What do you mean by "altered TB boots"?

I'm planning on altering the boots, gauntlets, armor and headsculpt using the Toybiz ones as a base so they look more in scale with the DID stuff. The boots actually look ok, the gauntlets are a bit thin though and I'm not satisfied with the shoulder armor on either fig. I know I'm going to rework and combine both sculpts as neither is ideal IMO. We'll see how much re-sculpting is necessary on the other bits after I have them in hand. If I must change a lot, I'll make molds and castings so they'll be durable. I can't enlarge or alter the head too much as the helmet won't fit if I do.

I guess one could shorten both Frodo and Sam a tiny bit also as they are too tall.

I got the DiD because the weapons are better quality (realy wood and metal) and the size is better ie Gandalf>Gimli>Frodo as opposed to the Gandalf>Frodo>Gimli you get on the TB one.

I got the DiD because the weapons are better quality (realy wood and metal) and the size is better ie Gandalf>Gimli>Frodo as opposed to the Gandalf>Frodo>Gimli you get on the TB one.

The clothing is more accurate also. The DiD one is definitely a good start, it just needs a few tweaks to get it to blend in better quality wise with the Sideshow figs. I do prefer the removable helmet Toybiz made, though I'll prolly never display him without the helmet on.

But straight outta the box with no customizing, I think the DiD one is the Gimli to get.

Started working on Gims. Used the DID body,TB hs,one arm did,one arm TB. Feet DID. Chain maile Dml, cloak DID frodo. If I stay with the TB hand I will need to cut off about 1/4" or so to shorten the arm. The DID neck looks more like a Dml neck and the TB has a ball and socket. The DID boots come off easily but the TB boots are glued on and will need to be cut and drilled.
By the way Legolas had the DID armour and Rohirrim sword. GImli is about the right height to the humans but the hobbits should come up to Gims shoulder. No maile on the legs yet. The DID actually looks like the picture below.
SANY0866.jpg
[/IMG]
SANY0871.jpg
[/IMG]
good-1.jpg
[/IMG]

I might use the DID maile for the legs but wach them a little darker.

Back