George Lucas end of the world 2012

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
World won't end. It will however be remade after the great tribulation and armegeddon (sp). The Lord will then set up His kingdom ( new Jerusalem ) on Earth.

If it werent for Lucas, we'd probably still be watching sci fi movies featuring spaceships flying around on strings.

And? Model ships are way cooler then CGI ships.

Problem is, it isnt JUST the fact he wont release the films that people love and charish, it's also the fact he turned filmmaking from a pretty hard job, putting your heart and soul into the scenes, and actors...into...just placing people in front of blue things, and....add ____ in the background.

Sorry, but as someone who does want to get into this biz, I find that a little insulting. But whatever. I cant give the man a pass because I aside from A New Hope, he didnt do that much aside from create a pretty cool story. If it wasnt for the writers, and directors, we may not have had the same trilogy today.

But I digress.

And? Model ships are way cooler then CGI ships.

I thought he was talking about the work that Lucas and ILM did with the models on the original films. That was pretty groundbreaking stuff at the time.

You talk as if Lucas has permanently ruined filmmaking, and I don't think that's true at all. Just because Lucas can't use CGI to the best effect doesn't mean that no one will be able to. And even if you don't like the prequels, it's ridiculous to imply that they were somehow "too easy" to make. The amount of effort that went into those productions is staggering (kind of sad when you consider some aspects of the final films, but that's another matter).

Lucas got too excited about the new technology he could use and wanted to use it for everything, whether or not it was appropriate. This, combined with his difficulty in working with and motivating actors, resulted in some pretty wooden performances.

There are waaay too many instances of CGI vastly enhancing a movie for it to be so easily discounted.

I thought he was talking about the work that Lucas and ILM did with the models on the original films. That was pretty groundbreaking stuff at the time.

You talk as if Lucas has permanently ruined filmmaking, and I don't think that's true at all. Just because Lucas can't use CGI to the best effect doesn't mean that no one will be able to. And even if you don't like the prequels, it's ridiculous to imply that they were somehow "too easy" to make. The amount of effort that went into those productions is staggering (kind of sad when you consider some aspects of the final films, but that's another matter).

Lucas got too excited about the new technology he could use and wanted to use it for everything, whether or not it was appropriate. This, combined with his difficulty in working with and motivating actors, resulted in some pretty wooden performances.

:exactly:

I was referring more to models and the camera techniques ILM created to give the feeling of flight and speed, but I can't remember what that method was called at this moment.

As for CGI, it can be used well, when it is given extra attention and care, like in Lord of the Rings. To me, nobody has beaten what WETA did with Gollum, and I have a feeling that may remain a high water mark for a while. Not because it can't be surpassed, but because most filmmakers don't bother. Most go with "good enough" instead of groundbreaking.

Misunderstood the first part.....but you misunderstood my part.

I'm not talking about the CGI. The effects, any of that. What I call "easy directing" is a man, in a chair, directing people in front of a blue screen. He says "Ok, do this, walk here, go there, go here..."

That aint how you do it. Sure, the man hours in creating the effects, an what not is crazy yes....but If Lucas dogged it out, went out on Location a lot, filmed in a style that was LUCAS, and put in some....yanno...work as a director, even if it sucked, i'd applad him for actually trying.

I mean, Spielberg still goes out and films on location. He's out there, in the mud, the water, the rain, everything...AND he can get a good proformence from the actors. That's a film director.

I guess after watching the Making Of's recently, I just have this....distain for what Lucas did. It's not even about the movies, it's just about how he made them.

Look at Sin City, it was all green screen, but there's Robert on set talking with the actors, discussing, and trying to get a good proformence out of them.

It just pains me, as someone who wants to make movies, to see a guy do this, and not just "a" guy, but THE guy. The man who changed movies forever....just to...see that...it pains me.

You guys can disagree, and that's cool. :peace

\

:exactly:

I was referring more to models and the camera techniques ILM created to give the feeling of flight and speed, but I can't remember what that method was called at this moment.

As for CGI, it can be used well, when it is given extra attention and care, like in Lord of the Rings. To me, nobody has beaten what WETA did with Gollum, and I have a feeling that may remain a high water mark for a while. Not because it can't be surpassed, but because most filmmakers don't bother. Most go with "good enough" instead of groundbreaking.

Davy Jones. Kong. Transformers. The Dark Knight. All kinda surpassed it.

The Phantom Menace was a great example of how a modern SW film can be made with strategic, even abundant CGI without sacrificing great location shots and epic full scale sets. I hear it was even filmed with an ancient tech called...film. :lol

Davy Jones. Kong. Transformers. The Dark Knight. All kinda surpassed it.

I disagree there. Davy Jones looked good, but not as real as Gollum (to me).

Kong, well, same special effects team there, hell, same CGI actor (Serkis).

Transformers, not really the same thing there in my opinion, as I am mainly talking about creating something that looks organic, hair, flesh, etc.., where Transformers is mostly Metal and Machines. It is much harder to make something that looks like a living creature. Besides, for me, Transformers just had so much going on (not in a good way) that you were never really given the time to appreciate the actual FX work for what it was.

Dark Knight, the only CGI I can think of is where Batman is plucked from the building by the plane, other than that, not really sure what CGI your talking about. If that is it, than I hardly think it compares to what was achieved in LOTR.

Two Face.

I never thought Gollum looked all that "real" to me. Davy Jones was far more realistic looking.

However, what Gollum did was create a really great character with tons of emotion using CGI. He was great, but he never felt real to me.....just my opinion. :D

The Phantom Menace was a great example of how a modern SW film can be made with strategic, even abundant CGI without sacrificing great location shots and epic full scale sets. I hear it was even filmed with an ancient tech called...film. :lol

Well yeah, it was the only film that was made the way a film should be.

All script complaints aside.

Back