GDB Studios, Hollywood

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GDB's Godless Creations

Thanks Saya! All the positive comments mean a lot.

Work has picked up so I haven't been able to play with my dolls as much as I'd like lately. :(

Seems like forever since I had the free time to pick up a brush, let alone a camera. I took some pictures of Maul when I photographed Qui-Gon but I thought his left eye looked a tad cockeyed. Well I finally got around to fixing it. First here's the before pictures...

IMG_1841-1.jpg
IMG_1836-1.jpg

The thing that really surprised me was how wrong Sideshow got the tattoos. It has to be the factory as the pictures of the prototype on the Sideshow site seems accurate enough.

Another thing about his tattoos... looking at screen caps to get them right, I noticed that they are subtly different in each scene. Which either means that they are supposed to be war paint instead of tattoos or that Lucas doesn't want them to be scrutinized too closely.

Last edited:

Until I painted him, I never noticed that Maul has a forked tongue tattoo on his chin! :lol As it turns out painting tattoos is much easier than I had imagined. (Or course, I had imagined that it would be really hard.) I kept wishing he came with a body that looks good shirtless so I could paint the tattoos on his chest and arms. That would have been killer! And fun as hell to paint. Oh well...

IMG_3051-1.jpg
IMG_3074-1.jpg
IMG_3042-1.jpg
IMG_3032-1.jpg
IMG_3059.jpg

Last edited:

I got the head in Monday, spent a day in sheer awe of the power of Andy's sculpt. Took another day to gather the balls needed to paint him. And tonight I finished this guy. I had never gotten an unfinished head before and I didn't know what to expect. I think I am now spoiled. I'll have to try to take a decent picture tomorrow in the sunlight. For now there's this shot of him in the all together. Note: must find Locke some clothes.
lockenude-2.jpg

Last edited:

GDB nice paint work on all your figures. What kind of paint do you use?

Thanks! I use acrylic paints, Rembrandt and Liquitex brands mostly.

WOW! I saw your banner in another thread and just hit it.
GREAT WORK ON THIS! You really kicked him out of the park!
Amazing! Just amazing! :rock

Thank you, Les. That means a lot coming from you. :duff

It's mostly due to Andy's sculpt. I found that it just suggested where to push the paint and that by listening to it, as Locke listens to the island, that it just painted itself. But, at the same time, I realize that I was in the zone with this one and I'm more than a bit terrified that I have one more of these heads to paint up and that anything less than an identical or superior paint job will be failure. :lol Ah, the creative process...

Seriously though, Andy's sculpt is inspired. I just wanted to get out his way.

Thought it was time to do some photo updates on my John Locke project. I've walked back some of the dark spots on his head. They just seemed too old-manish. I've also corrected the colors of his eyes.

I'm finishing the second head I got of this guy and I can't get enough of him. I've taken a ton of progress pictures of the second one and, while I am hardly an authority, if I get around to it I'll put together I tutorial based on it maybe. Anyway, here's my first attempt all dressed up in his island gear.

hero-4.jpg
leftprofile-2.jpg
rightprofilehead.jpg
squinting.jpg

Last edited:

I'm going to be selling off some items on eBay starting with this guy...
ebaywolvie.jpg

I hate to lose these guys but I got the Batmobile coming and I just need more space. It's like that line from Fight Club -- the things you own, end up own you. Well, they take up closet space anyhow.

I think I'm going to use Customikey's starting bid policy where the starting bid is my original cost. So if there's any interest, check it out.

So I think I'm done with this guy... Not sure... Gotta step back from him for a bit and then see how he looks to me. I left the hair and eyes alone because my main goal was playing with his smile and I don't have enough green and I didn't want to make another trip to the art store.

BEFORE:
IMG_3695.jpg
IMG_3696.jpg
IMG_3697.jpg

NOW:

severedheadon-2.jpg
rightprofile-3.jpg
leftprofile-5.jpg

IMG_3825.jpg
extremecloseup.jpg

Last edited:

Wow, you worked a miracle on that V1 head. I actually see Heath Ledger in there now, and the attitude that the mouth is displaying is spot on perfect.

Thanks, ObsoleteMan. I owe the mouth attitude to the fact that I let the "appliance" get a bit crooked when I applied it to the chin. Frankly I would have fixed it if I caught it before I baked the Sculpty, but now I'm glad it slipped through as it gives him that snarl.

Here's the unpainted pictures... It is dangerously easy to make a cast out of Super Sculpty.

IMG_3723.jpg
IMG_3724.jpg
IMG_3725.jpg
IMG_3726.jpg

Finally had the chance to revisit the Joker head. I couldn't help myself and touched up the eyes. But mostly I just cleaned up the top of the scar on his right cheek and smudged the make-up under his smile.

IMG_4005.jpg
IMG_3989.jpg
IMG_3990.jpg

allthree.jpg

frontfinal.jpg

Last edited:

I owe this thread a whole bunch of updates. But tonight it just gets 3. I swear photographing at this scale is an art form in and of itself. Well, anyway it's September so that means it's time to close the book on summer.

Here's Baltar as sculpted by Sunohc....
IMG_4382.jpg

Here's SS's Jedi Luke...
0788bc7c.jpg

Here's my second Anakin...
608e52bf.jpg

More to come...

I've got two more updates coming and then a somewhat big announcement. But first here's Rick Deckard. Um, excuse me, "Android Hunter v2."

27884b24.jpg

fdc5923a.jpg

a09960b9.jpg

3deac6f3.jpg

26a2621c.jpg

Last edited:
Back