GDB Studios, Hollywood

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdb

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi there, I am God Damn Brent and this is my god damn show-off thread!

If you want me to paint up your stuff, check out my Official Sales Thread or drop me a PM.

IMGP1955_zpsf2ddb220.jpg

72259def.jpg

a18aafce.jpg

869ba36b.jpg

6f8a1ba4.jpg

0ef0e4fb.jpg
9ce92512.jpg

5852a843.jpg

Last edited:
Re: GDB's Godless Creations

Counter intuitively, I started with one of my favorites. The AvP Elder. It's all about the damn quills. The quills are a gateway feature. There's no way to apply them without being some sort of customizer.

I got him when he was released and used a hobby knife, tweezers and super glue. Couple years later P!tu posted an excellent (and entertaining) how-to video on how to attach the quills more permanently. Essentially remove each quill, drill a hole, replace the quill with glue; repeat.

I wanted to keep the arrangement I had. Which looks better in person. They photograph a bit "desperately random" to me. In hindsight I would have gone with a different arrangement and I would have made sure I saved some for his beard. Perhaps one day I'll get the 10 or more quills it would take to do his chin.

Anyway, with all the glueing there was a discoloration and a gloss issue (which, I realize now, could have been taken care of with some matte finish). So I figured, how hard could it be to touch up around the quills? One thing led to another and I repainted everything but the dreaded dreads which look just fine to my eye.

IMG_2638.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

IMG_2657.jpg

IMG_2666.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

Last edited:

Here's the first attempt at Wolverine. He seemed too plane here so I've since repainted him again. Sadly, I haven't rephotographed him yet.

IMG_1268.jpg

Last edited:

Nice work, Nosferatu is particularly disturbing looking... in a very good way :rock

I love your Nos. I just got mine 2 months ago and don't know if I have the courage to repaint him yet. You did one stellar job!! Your pics are very good you should def. post more.

Disturbing and creepy is what I was going for! Thanks! I'm still surprised myself at how he turned out.

Last edited:

Thanks, Pjam! Wolvie's an example of why I resisted painting my own figures for so many years. As an old writing teacher used to say, "Art is never finished, it's only abandoned." Anything I work on, I always look on it with a critical eye that gets in the way of seeing it as someone else would.

I cut my teeth on painting these little guys back in the day. Anyone remember the old "beakies?"
IMG_1032.jpg
IMG_1029.jpg
IMG_1035.jpg
IMG_1037.jpg

Here's the new Wolverine paint. Now with the new Dullcoat.

closeup-1.jpg

profile.jpg

hero-2.jpg
IMG_2269-1.jpg
snikkt-1.jpg

Last edited:

Here's my Buffy. I did her a couple weeks ago. The figure. Not Sarah Michelle Geller. Coming between Vampire Will and Nosferatu, she was my first human and I think she came out okay for being first.

buffysidebyside-1.jpg

Last edited:

Damn, photographing at this scale is with the light and the color and the everything is a whole different skill set then painting them!

Last edited:

I've been working my way through my Star Wars figures but most of them have been waiting for a matte finish that I like. After some research I've decided to try Testor's Dullcoat and so far I'm liking it. After testing it out I've gone back and dullcoated some of my previous heads.

Anyway, here's Obi-Wan. Looking at screen caps of ROTS I was surprised at how ginger his hair is. I had a blast with the highlights in his hair and playing with the colors in his beard. Getting his moles just right was tricky -- too dark and they overpower his face, too light and they disappear.

moleface.jpg

mole.jpg

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

beardface-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back