Gateway Drug to Collecting Poll

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Gateway to Collecting Poll

The toybiz LOTR line...................AMAZING line!

It sure is, and after I obtained the UC Anduril sword I went on a major binge. Eventually I dumped all the action figures and Weta had my wallet in a major way.

Agreed. I think the real question is: "What was your gateway drug that got you back into collecting, well after you stopped buying/playing with toys as a kid?

then again, maybe some here never quit.

That is a great question! For me it was McFarlane.

mcfarlane got me into actually collecting toys instead of playing with them. it was their metallica action figures. i had to have those. still have em but they pale in comparison to my more recent stuff. then i started collecting iron maiden eddie figures. one day i wanted a buffy action figure. i was thinking a 6in figure from diamond select or whatever. so i decided to browse ebay to see what was out there. thats when i found sideshow's GD buffy. i remember thinking "$40 for an action figure? thats crazy." but she looked really cool and i figured that would be the only figure of this magnitude that i would get. yeah right.:rolleyes:

Agreed. I think the real question is: "What was your gateway drug that got you back into collecting, well after you stopped buying/playing with toys as a kid?

then again, maybe some here never quit.

That would be me. Toys just got better as I got older. I think for me, and possibly many others in my generation, that was the thing. Toys just got better as we got older so growing out of them was harder, if not impossible. Eventually higher end stuff catches our eye and here we are now. :sick

That would be me. Toys just got better as I got older. I think for me, and possibly many others in my generation, that was the thing. Toys just got better as we got older so growing out of them was harder, if not impossible. Eventually higher end stuff catches our eye and here we are now. :sick

Yeah, I need to have kids, that would justify so many of my purchases. But first I think I have to find a wife... :lol

In the summer of 1999 my wife and I were in KB Toys with my infant son and I saw the Hasbro 12" TPM Obi Wan on clearance.
I said "I'm buying this for him."
She replied "You don't even know if he'll like Star Wars."
"Oh he'll like Star Wars" I nodded.

Then SSC got the license, so I bought Connor MacLeod to see their stuff and now I'm a junkie man!! I'm strung out!! I've collected nearly the entire Buffy line, more than half of the SW line, a couple Bond figures, and a Nosferatu and I can't help but search the SSC items on ebay EVERY FRIKKIN' DAYYY!!!!

I collected toys and things when I was younger but once I got into music, CD's and music scores took the place of toys.

Then Burger King put out those dumb little Star Wars toys when ROTS came out and it was a slippery slope from there on out.

So yeah, Burger King got me into the hell I am in. :lol

I never collected when I was younger, I just bought any and every toy out. Star Wars, G.I. Joe, Indiana Jones, Silverhawks, MASK, Muscle Men, Thundercats, TMNT, He-Man, She-Ra, Transformers, Gobots, Insectors, Just about all movie tie in toys like Dick Tracy and Robin Hood, Batman etc. I didn't start collecting until I got older and started with Mcfarlane's Movie Maniacs and Twisted series with an occassional Spawn and Football piece. I collected odds and ends as they came out along with the Mcfarlane stuff, such as NECA, Mezco, and some anime stuff. I got into Sideshow after browsing their site a few times back with the original WETA LOTR stuff and Universal Monsters. I've long since stopped all the Mcfarlane and NECA stuff and mainly collect Sideshow, Hot Toys, DC, and Custom statues and figures.

A proper Sideshow Weta statue- Saruman

I won it in an art contest, and the rest is history.

Put down an order for what I thought then was an insane $300 for that burnt looking devil thing with a fire whip

Back