Gandalf 12" up for order!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We will likely have 8 months to get used to the sticker shock before it ships, and going from past experience, I doubt they want to announce anything until its 100% ready. No one wants to hear about delays.

For all those complaining:

kittens-aug-2007-012.jpg

See the kitten on the left? Her name is Dustie, stare into her eyes and feel all you're anger melting away. You will become as calm as a lake on a windless day. Ahhh... breath in.. and out. Kumbiya my lorrrd.. :monkey3

Douglas, I think some of your expectations are a little rediculous. I can't think of any group, be it collectibles, restaurants, gas stations, that announce price hikes. If the news didn't mention gas/oil hikes, we'd all pull into a pump, look at the price and drop jaws worse than now at the prices. Price varitions happen and don't require advanced notice. When you go to buy something, it has a price tag and you decide you want it or not.

Hasbro - they just released their MSRP points for EVERY single line of figures/toys/etc. in the Star Wars and Indiana Jones markets for the ENTIRE year during Toy Fair. Probably did the same for GI Joe and others, but I don't keep up with the others.

In fact, almost every major collectibles group releases MSRP way in advance of an item. Comparing these items to gas and restaurants is a cheat to try to give your point more credence - as "apples to oranges" as it gets. But, I will bite, Gas at my local station dropped in price this week ... so did the cost of the Chalupa at my Taco Bell. When's the last time Sideshow dropped their prices. "Well you are a fustugio ... see sister, I can make up words too." Sorry, couldn't get that Family Guy quote out of my head. Point being, collectibles do not compare to food or gas. Those markets fluctuate BECAUSE of their necessity. Collectibles should follow a concrete, stable pricing structure. And, I think Sideshow could enlighten us when price increase are imminent. They don't have to give us actual numbers, but a warning would be nice.

Well I think at this point, SSC is in a full swing of quality upgrade on their 1/6 figures, from body all the way down. That, couple with touching upon characters that go outside the average piece with their tailoring and such, will leave some hikes and variation for a while until they reach a point where there's a Sideshow norm of quality to create a norm price.

I guess I'll never get why some feel the need to be told why things go up. GG doesn't send out smoke signals when they raise the price of items, HT, and Medicom don't either. So why should SS?

I guess I'll never get why some feel the need to be told why things go up. GG doesn't send out smoke signals when they raise the price of items, HT, and Medicom don't either. So why should SS?

The way SSC interacts with it's fans gives us a false sense that we're more involved with the actual workings of the company than we really are, therefore some may feel like they should be clued in. People don't feel that way about HT or Medicom because they don't interact with their audience at all.

No mention of a new body in the Q&A:

Ooooooh, Sideshow’s new Gandalf the Grey 12-inch figure looks like the wizard himself stepped right off the screen! He looks so detailed and comes with a ton of great accessories, especially the Exclusive Balin’s journal! What was the most challenging part of creating this figure, and how does that affect the price?

First, big thanks! Gandalf the Grey was a very complicated figure to create in 1:6th scale, with some seriously cool, layered clothing. The development team had a ton (literally!) of accessory choices for Gandalf, and ended up giving him a multitude of accessories for the most comprehensive 1:6th scale version of the wizard ever released. While it’s true that every accessory, which requires a complex tooling process, and every piece of unique fabric and ‘cut and sew’ work adds an expense onto the final product, we believe that LOTR fans who admire the workmanship found in the films will appreciate the level of detail included in this new figure. It takes one level of skill to recreate a character in polystone, but another level entirely to bring the character to life using a variety of mixed-media elements; from authentic, scaled fabric choices, to a perfectly tooled staff or smoking pipe. You will really have a very complete representation of ‘Fellowship’ Gandalf in this figure! Check out some behind-the-scenes photos in our Production Blog for a closer look:

Hm. Sounds like the complex clothing coupled with the lack of sales for the LOTR line hiked the price of this one up.

True, but anyone who labels themselves a "Superfan" loses a little bit of credibility when it comes to what or what not SSC should do. Not that there is anything wrong with being a "Superfan". I am a Carolina Tarheels "Superfan" so I feel they should be ranked #1 at all times. However, unlike other "Superfans", I realize my opinion is probably biased. But, hey, that's just my opinion. -->:D

In all honesty, I never get why some feel the need to berate those who want to know. You compare SSC with GG - a company even their "Superfans" admit sucks at customer support and two Asian based companies that send us the crumbs that are left from their target audience. And, that's suppose to paint SSC in a favorable light?!? But, I am sure that's a logical comparison. I will figure it out eventually ... ?

I'm sure it's been stated already in this thread but $90 bucks for this! :monkey4

True, but anyone who labels themselves a "Superfan" loses a little bit of credibility when it comes to what or what not SSC should do. Not that there is anything wrong with being a "Superfan". I am a Carolina Tarheels "Superfan" so I feel they should be ranked #1 at all times. However, unlike other "Superfans", I realize my opinion is probably biased. But, hey, that's just my opinion. -->:D

In all honesty, I never get why some feel the need to berate those who want to know. You compare SSC with GG - a company even their "Superfans" admit sucks at customer support and two Asian based companies that send us the crumbs that are left from their target audience. And, that's suppose to paint SSC in a favorable light?!? But, I am sure that's a logical comparison. I will figure it out eventually ... ?

best post that ive ever read from you Doug! kudos! But now youre probably on Josh's ignore list too. oh no! :rolleyes:

No mention of a new body in the Q&A:

I posted that earlier too, seems to fall on deaf ears. People want to be upset, so let them. I'm happy to get GTG and I think once I have him the cost will be justified.

And for worrying about advance notice on prices... you just ordered the damn thing 6 months in advance, how much more warning do you need?!? The price just increased, you have 6 months to comply :lol

Yeah but $90 you would think the new body was being used, but it's not otherwise it would have been listed in the break down description of the piece on the order page.

Pricetag is a bummer. He does look great though... I dunno. I am feeling like I should feel cheated... but I don't. :dunno :lol

best post that ive ever read from you Doug! kudos! But now youre probably on Josh's ignore list too. oh no! :rolleyes:

Pretty sure I have been on The Ignore List (TM) for a while now. It's become a badge of honor around here. I like to compare Josh to the Red Queen in Alice in Wonderland - the Ignore button is his axe.

offwithherhead.jpg

"You make a valid point, which I cannot refute. OFF WITH HIS HEAD."

Back