Media Games you used to hate but now love?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameson Rook

Super Freak
Reaction score
What are the games you just couldn't get into, just didn't liked or never gave a proper chance but somehow fond of after playing it? Games that you'd never think you would be a fan of?

Mine would be the Tomb Raider Trilogy and Uncharted series. I thought Lara was a oversexualized bore and the gameplay was too slow and lacked punch, but I gave the trilogy a chance few years back and loved it. It's gorgeous, serene and the music is superb. I ended up appreciating the series more after the "me too" Uncharted-esque reboot.

And speaking of Uncharted, I used to enjoy the games just fine, but I didn't find it anything special because I thought other action games were trying to acheive more at the time, such as Batman Arkham City which came out the same time as Uncharted 3. It was just a dumb action shooter with a predictable plot and flimsy set-pieces. For some reason, age has made me mellow at such a notion. So many games are trying to be super serious that this is a breath of fresh air, and now my favorite series from last gen.

Metal Gear Solid 2. The game is a marvel that pushed the way for so many other games. I had a love/hate relationship with it back then due to Raiden. But now, I get it. His character has as much purpose as Snake's did. Really reading into the fourth wall breaking over the years that I wasn't previously aware of made it in my top five games.

I don't know if I'd call it love, but Metal Gear Solid 4. It's loaded with problems, but in light of how I felt about MGSV... it's made me appreciate a whole hellva lot more.

Metal Gear Solid 2. The game is a marvel that pushed the way for so many other games. I had a love/hate relationship with it back then due to Raiden. But now, I get it. His character has as much purpose as Snake's did. Really reading into the fourth wall breaking over the years that I wasn't previously aware of made it in my top five games.

I don't know if I'd call it love, but Metal Gear Solid 4. It's loaded with problems, but in light of how I felt about MGSV... it's made me appreciate a whole hellva lot more.

I certainly love MGS4 a whooooollleee lot more than V. At least it was massively entertaining and the graphics and sound are top notch.

As mentioned in the other thread, I don't like MGS4 anymore but I do consider it guilty pleasure. I can replay it every once in 2 years and have loads of fun with it. Don't see the same thing happening with PW/V.

Assassin's Creed.

Used to hate it for repetitive and tiresome gameplay but the story is just too good.

Ni No Kuni. When I first played it the turn based combat system was annoying me to no end. I stopped playing after few hours. About a year later I gave it another chance and wow! What a game!

Metal Gear Solid due to a friend hyping the **** out of it (and the series in general) in light of 4's release, and being a complete prick to everyone such as a mod and admin who said Liquid Ocelot was disappointing, or anyone else who didn't think the series was nothing less of perfection and put down other stealth franchises like Hitman and Splinter Cell. I played the first game on a deal that he'd try one of those games and after I told him 'it's ok, I don't think it's as special as you're describing it' he flipped and left the internet for a day or two apparently, with his reasons being 'well even though someone gave you it on the PC, that doesn't really count as you playing it properly'. He also still has never played either series still and actually holds it against me still :lol I believe the mod and admin he still holds that against as well. Years later I gave it another shot, and while I still think the game is good with a better mind set, I vastly prefer MGS 2 and 3 for a lot of reasons. I'm surprised I didn't hate 2 initially for reasons Pliss mentioned. I can't really get into the original still for stuff like cutscenes that don't do it for me, some control issues and a few particular gameplay sequences, but I still respect it.

I will add MGS 4 to that because of what Pliss said, namely the story and cutscene to gameplay ratio - something that MGS V flipped and it bewilders me. The gameplay really comes across as stellar, some story moments do have a real purpose and I feel like the game was only ruined by fan requests and ****. Unlike V which Kojima screwed around with royally. Though I do find the 'old vs young' aspect stupid and hilarious for the wrong reasons.

Metroid as a whole, thought it was ok and didn't see all the fuss. I thought the non-linear approach was questionable, and I didn't find some design choices that good or interesting. Metroid Prime's first person 'adventure' approach came off as strange due to no dual analog support. Playing it recently, now I adore the series and hate Nintendo for shafting it...especially with this being the 30th Anniversary of the franchise! Also Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games ever now.

Rayman came off as a little too weird at times, and now I really like those games.

Not hate but the Souls series due to the premise of dying a lot, losing souls you accumulated, being invaded by other players and attacking costing stamina. Now I can see those games as one of the best examples of modern gaming today. I talked to a guy who did a project in my art class advertising Dark Souls III, and he basically succeeded on a huge level :lol

Probably Super Metroid, though I never really "hated" it, I actually really liked it; I just hated getting lost so frequently. :lol

Last edited:
X-Men Legends 2 - repetitive game play, doesn't have the charm and sophistication of the first one

and sadly Marvel Vs Capcom 2, I much prefer 3

EDIT

I got it the other way around

games that I hated and now love

Mario Sunshine

Zelda Majora's Mask

Ni No Kuni. When I first played it the turn based combat system was annoying me to no end. I stopped playing after few hours. About a year later I gave it another chance and wow! What a game!

Hahaha, for me it's the complete opposite. I got the game when it came out and enjoyed everything about it, even the combat system. Then I got stuck at Shadar and dropped it for like a year and a half while I played PS4 games. I recently went back and cleared the game and realized how broken the combat was and how the difficulty is so imbalanced. I love the art style and direction, but at the same time I want to extend a big middle finger to the developers for wasting so much of my time. Despite all that I will still get the sequel on PS4.

Splinter Cell. Never could get into them but I loved Blacklist. Had a nice movie feel to it and some seriously diverse gameplay.

Terraria

Meh another minecraft indie crappy game. Played for 300 hours now, I dig it. Mechanic and contents just insane, I think I've done with 300 hours but wait... There are still more to discover

Back