Freakin' PayPal!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"U.S. District Judge Jeremy Fogel of San Jose refused to dismiss a lawsuit that seeks class-action status on behalf of thousands of PayPal customers nationwide. A common allegation is that the company brushes off or stalls customer grievances for months and meanwhile freezes the customer's account and pockets the interest (So that's how they make their money!). No wonder they freeze so many accounts!"

Damn ... I never realized how FUBAR PayPal is. I had my account frozen a few months back. I disputed a charge and they did the standard "you win, but there is no money in the person's account" crap. So, I appealed the charge with my bank and they did a chargeback. PayPal, despite the fact that they admitted I was the wronged party, charged my account for the charge back and limited the account. I have since used a friend's account the few times I have needed it. All of this makes me wonder though ... they still have my checking account and credit card numbers. Will they eventually just charge my accounts? It's only 52 dollars, but it's the principle of the thing. Sigh ... I feel lucky now in retrospect after seeing how badly Irish got shafted. Keep up the good fight Irish.

Mookeylama said:
daayum! this sucks Irish. did someone file a complaint on u? just wondering what it was that got Paypal looking at u in the first place.
Nothing. I'm clean as a whistle. Always have been. If this can happen to me, it can happen to ANYONE.

I WILL be contacting legal counsel about this matter. :mad:

Damn, Irish, that is ****ed up. I have had Paypal take money from me before but usually I have gotten it back once I proved I sent the items or whatever. The only time they ever took money from me, the buyer re-sent it.

When I buy something on eBay from a country outside Europe I use Paypal.
Are there other methods for paying with a credit card which are safe to use on eBay? (some sellers only accept Paypal)

IrishJedi said:
Nothing. I'm clean as a whistle. Always have been. If this can happen to me, it can happen to ANYONE.

I WILL be contacting legal counsel about this matter. :mad:
Well keep us informed since we all are could end up in your shoes.

hey Irish, I hope you made sure that the e-mail really came from paypal, otherwise it could be a potential scam.

That is *****kin insane. Paypal have dicked me around on a couple of occassions. They are OK until something goes wrong, then forget it.

You, as a consumer (because you pay Paypal for the joy of receiving your money), have recourse. Check the terms and conditions online that you agreed to. Try to speak to someone in Customer Service, if that doesn't get the job done, then state formerly that you would like to escalate the matter. Most Customer Service depts have an Escalations section.

If all this fails, email the CEO directly, his email address can probably be found online via google. The only reason these people think they can get away with this is because people don't bother to pursue the matter. Hold on like a pitbull. Remember, you are a consumer, paying for a service, if you do not receive that service, then you are no longer tied by the terms of the contract.

D

have found this out for you...

paypal CEO:Rajiv Dutta....

CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS*

2145 Hamilton Avenue
San Jose, California 95125
United States

Phone: 408-376-7400
Fax: 408-369-4855

If they won't let you speak to him, ask for his email addy!

D

And guys this is why when I do transactions with you it's through the girlfriend's PayPal. Never trusted it or eBay. She uses them so I go through her. I personally would never use PayPal. Why can't you people just be satisfied with money orders?! I never had problems with them in the past...

This is truely unfortunate to put it nicely. Besides cutting ties with Paypal, which it sounds like they are already going to do, how about you "send" the funds to a trusted source.
By a trusted source I mean a friend/family member who you could "pay" the funds to as a last transaction. They get the funds, transfer the funds to their checking account then give you the cash and in the meantime Paypal cancels an empty account.
Paypal should allow you to make one more transaction.

They did it to me once too after I had an abnormally large transaction. I had to jump through all those hoops and prove I'd shipped the item. But I couldn't get the money paid to me for the item. The buyer hadn't done anything, it was paypal that decided it was suspicious. So essentially I had to trust the buyer and paypal that by their good graces I'd get my money after I shipped.

And we're talking $13,000 here. It was a tense few days for me, but they released the account after about a week.

If I were you I'd keep calling until I got an answer about what triggered this kind of response. It seems completely unreasonable.

What????? They are closing your account for no reason at all other than they feel like it!! This is unreal. What is with companies today man?

When all is said and done this stunt by Paypal is going to end up costing me over $1,000.00. And that's if I don't decide to sue their *****ing a**es.

:mad:

nash said:
yep even if it's just 10 bucks, i transfer that asap. I somehow have a feeling that Paypal targets accounts that is holding a large balance of money instead of just frequency of use.
I haven't really gotten a straight answer to this question yet but I was wondering if Paypal can take money from your checking account or your credit card....since they have both on file. I would assume they can not since that in itself is like a purchase or a transaction that has to be authorized but still...paypal is shady like that.

I pull out every penny after a transaction because I don't want to be shafted by them.

This is just a terrible situation. :(

El Roranous said:
I haven't really gotten a straight answer to this question yet but I was wondering if Paypal can take money from your checking account or your credit card....since they have both on file.:(

i'd like to know that too.

They did it to me once too after I had an abnormally large transaction. I had to jump through all those hoops and prove I'd shipped the item. But I couldn't get the money paid to me for the item. The buyer hadn't done anything, it was paypal that decided it was suspicious. So essentially I had to trust the buyer and paypal that by their good graces I'd get my money after I shipped.

And we're talking $13,000 here. It was a tense few days for me, but they released the account after about a week.

wow. that's messed up! i had no idea that Paypal itself could initiate things like this. that's bull. they are just a mediary. a few years back i sold a comic for a few thousand. eBay wasn't quite the behemoth it is now so i sold thru Amazon auctions (coulda been Yahoo. memory sux). well i used an escrow service. worked very well. buyer sent money order to them. they alert me. i send comic to escrow, then they ship comic to buyer and MO to me at the same time. might be something to keep in mind for larger transactions. keep Paypal the hell outta it.

This is truely unfortunate to put it nicely. Besides cutting ties with Paypal, which it sounds like they are already going to do, how about you "send" the funds to a trusted source.
By a trusted source I mean a friend/family member who you could "pay" the funds to as a last transaction. They get the funds, transfer the funds to their checking account then give you the cash and in the meantime Paypal cancels an empty account.
Paypal should allow you to make one more transaction.

unfortunately i don't think he can do that. when they freeze the account like that u can't access it AT ALL for any reason, so no sending funds anywhere.

Mookeylama said:
unfortunately i don't think he can do that. when they freeze the account like that u can't access it AT ALL for any reason, so no sending funds anywhere.
Exactly. I can't send, receive or transfer jack ****. All I can do is Login to my account and view previous transaction data. And, get this: I can't even edit my Funding Sources (i.e., bank accts and credit cards)!

My $$ is basically being held hostage by Paypal (who is, of course, making interest off of MY money while all of this is going on). :mad:

El Roranous said:
I haven't really gotten a straight answer to this question yet but I was wondering if Paypal can take money from your checking account or your credit card....since they have both on file. I would assume they can not since that in itself is like a purchase or a transaction that has to be authorized but still...paypal is shady like that.

I pull out every penny after a transaction because I don't want to be shafted by them.

This is just a terrible situation. :(

Paypal can try to charge you, but you can tell your bank or credit card company to deny the charge.

Paypal blows.. They shut my account down too untill I follow this silly large checklist.. They are also holding 50 bucks hostage.. They can stick the account and 50 bucks up thier ass..

Back