(FLOSI'S Cantina) "Where everybody knows your name..."

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
re: (galactiboy's Cantina) "Where everybody knows your name..."

I believe I told fury this story, and Jay saw a short short version of it on Facebook, but for those that care here is the long detailed version of how I proposed to Angie.

As you know I am a pretty big collector of toys, comics, etc. I was big into the Simpsons World Of Springfield figs at the time as well. Angie would go with me to the comic book shop on Wednesdays over lunch. In the past I had heard all these horror stories of guys that would get married and the wife would make them get rid of all the things they loved, and have a hold on what they were able to do with their money from then on.

I always hated hearing those stories cause if it's their money the should be able to spend it on whatever they want as long as bills etc. are taken care of. Who's to say they can't spend $500 on a toy or something else they want or need if it's their money to they are spending? Now, I already knew Angie wasn't going to be that kind of wife, and that she understood the collecting world and had no issues with me buying stuff. But I still had to make sure there weren't going to be any problems after we were married…just to be safe. haha

So, when I decided I was going to propose I made a custom Executive Bart Simpson figure. Bart was in a business suit with a briefcase, nametag, etc with the Fox Logo on it. It also had a message about a contest inside. I gave the figure to the comic store clerk, Pete, and told him to put a price of $600 on it and sit it in the display case, and told him what to tell me when I asked about it the next week when Angie was with me.

So the next week Angie and I go to the shop and she sees it in the case and asks, "Do you have this one? I've never seen it. Says $600!" So I go over to look at it and I ask Pete (comic shop guy) "What's the deal with this figure? $600?!" He then says that he has a cousin out in California that works for Fox and that this was an exclusive figure only given out to Fox Execs. and sent it to Pete to try and sell at his shop. I then ask about the 'contest' mentioned on the package and he said that inside the breifcase of the figure was a game piece to see if you win a complete anthology of the Simpsons tv show on VHS (this was a bit before DVD took off, and before they started releasing seasons on dvd). (Also, this whole story that Pete told was what I had told him to say when I asked, it was all fake stuff that I made up.) So I leave the store with my comics and leave the figure behind.

For the next month and a half or two months Angie and I would go into the shop and see the figure still there, and Pete would try to get me to buy it. :D So finally when I knew I was going to pop the question, I went in to the shop with Angie the day before and said I wanted to buy the figure! So Pete looks at Angie and says something like, "$600… are you sure you're cool with him getting this?" and she replies, "It's his money, he can spend it on whatever he wants." And then she turns to me and says, "Just promise me that now you'll start saving for a ring." (we had already talked about getting married a bit.. ) So then I say I'll take the figure and pull out my checkbook to write a check for it. Pete then rings it up and gives me the total (all fake) and I hand him the check. ( I wrote will you marry me on the check just as another keepsake thing) Then Pete put the figure in a bag for me, along with the check I had handed him, and the receipt and Angie and I left.

The next day we went to the park and I had the figure with me. I asked her what I should do about the contest on it… that it would decrease the value so I shouldn't open it, but would hate to have it be a winner inside and not know… So finally I decide I'm going to open it to see. Inside Bart's breifcase was a little note that said "will you marry me?" along with a fake diamond ring (so I could let her help me pick out the real one later to her liking). So I slowly open the package up and start to open the briefcase, and then slyly dropped it on the ground…so I could bend down to get it, on one knee. :D I pulled the ring out of it, then said… I can't look… what does the card inside say? and handed her the briefcase… she opened it, read it, and said, "wait… what?...what?!" And I was kneeled down with the ring smiling.
She of course said yes and was all happy, then she said, "so wait…you didn't just spend $600 on a figure?" And I explained to her the whole thing was part of the proposal, and that Pete knew all about it months before and agreed to help, and how I had made the figure and the story up etc. And I also told her that I already had money saved up for the ring. :)
She thought it was very clever, especially since the figure was sitting in the comic book shop's display case for nearly 2 months. haha

Been happy ever since. :) Love her to bits.

Cool story, punk. Very cool.

I realized the other day April 5th is the 18th anniversary of the first date with my wife. Time flies, man! :duff

I'll read that later. But if it's as I recall, it's the best story from the entire punk basement tour! :yess:

I believe I told fury this story, and Jay saw a short short version of it on Facebook, but for those that care here is the long detailed version of how I proposed to Angie.

As you know I am a pretty big collector of toys, comics, etc. I was big into the Simpsons World Of Springfield figs at the time as well. Angie would go with me to the comic book shop on Wednesdays over lunch. In the past I had heard all these horror stories of guys that would get married and the wife would make them get rid of all the things they loved, and have a hold on what they were able to do with their money from then on.

I always hated hearing those stories cause if it's their money the should be able to spend it on whatever they want as long as bills etc. are taken care of. Who's to say they can't spend $500 on a toy or something else they want or need if it's their money to they are spending? Now, I already knew Angie wasn't going to be that kind of wife, and that she understood the collecting world and had no issues with me buying stuff. But I still had to make sure there weren't going to be any problems after we were married…just to be safe. haha

So, when I decided I was going to propose I made a custom Executive Bart Simpson figure. Bart was in a business suit with a briefcase, nametag, etc with the Fox Logo on it. It also had a message about a contest inside. I gave the figure to the comic store clerk, Pete, and told him to put a price of $600 on it and sit it in the display case, and told him what to tell me when I asked about it the next week when Angie was with me.

So the next week Angie and I go to the shop and she sees it in the case and asks, "Do you have this one? I've never seen it. Says $600!" So I go over to look at it and I ask Pete (comic shop guy) "What's the deal with this figure? $600?!" He then says that he has a cousin out in California that works for Fox and that this was an exclusive figure only given out to Fox Execs. and sent it to Pete to try and sell at his shop. I then ask about the 'contest' mentioned on the package and he said that inside the breifcase of the figure was a game piece to see if you win a complete anthology of the Simpsons tv show on VHS (this was a bit before DVD took off, and before they started releasing seasons on dvd). (Also, this whole story that Pete told was what I had told him to say when I asked, it was all fake stuff that I made up.) So I leave the store with my comics and leave the figure behind.

For the next month and a half or two months Angie and I would go into the shop and see the figure still there, and Pete would try to get me to buy it. :D So finally when I knew I was going to pop the question, I went in to the shop with Angie the day before and said I wanted to buy the figure! So Pete looks at Angie and says something like, "$600… are you sure you're cool with him getting this?" and she replies, "It's his money, he can spend it on whatever he wants." And then she turns to me and says, "Just promise me that now you'll start saving for a ring." (we had already talked about getting married a bit.. ) So then I say I'll take the figure and pull out my checkbook to write a check for it. Pete then rings it up and gives me the total (all fake) and I hand him the check. ( I wrote will you marry me on the check just as another keepsake thing) Then Pete put the figure in a bag for me, along with the check I had handed him, and the receipt and Angie and I left.

The next day we went to the park and I had the figure with me. I asked her what I should do about the contest on it… that it would decrease the value so I shouldn't open it, but would hate to have it be a winner inside and not know… So finally I decide I'm going to open it to see. Inside Bart's breifcase was a little note that said "will you marry me?" along with a fake diamond ring (so I could let her help me pick out the real one later to her liking). So I slowly open the package up and start to open the briefcase, and then slyly dropped it on the ground…so I could bend down to get it, on one knee. :D I pulled the ring out of it, then said… I can't look… what does the card inside say? and handed her the briefcase… she opened it, read it, and said, "wait… what?...what?!" And I was kneeled down with the ring smiling.
She of course said yes and was all happy, then she said, "so wait…you didn't just spend $600 on a figure?" And I explained to her the whole thing was part of the proposal, and that Pete knew all about it months before and agreed to help, and how I had made the figure and the story up etc. And I also told her that I already had money saved up for the ring. :)
She thought it was very clever, especially since the figure was sitting in the comic book shop's display case for nearly 2 months. haha

Been happy ever since. :) Love her to bits.

You've told me that story and yet I still read it all over again. Angie must be one heck of a lady because you're a great, great person. I'm proud to call you a friend. :)

Cool story, punk. Very cool.

I realized the other day April 5th is the 18th anniversary of the first date with my wife. Time flies, man! :duff

Thanks Rich! Oh man, it sure does!

I'll read that later. But if it's as I recall, it's the best story from the entire punk basement tour! :yess:

hahaha, thanks Andrew. Glad you could be there to take the tour! :D

You've told me that story and yet I still read it all over again. Angie must be one heck of a lady because you're a great, great person. I'm proud to call you a friend. :)

Hmmm... who are you again... Mark is it? Sure whatever dude, I'm your friend too I guess...

Dorks:
3debc44234ee248000958283d36e5ffe_zps55d80500.jpg

e50bfe8f003c36d42e91e96faf4713e5_zps131c62e0.jpg

239c1ce733e8709ad1b03fc30b3fc3e4_zps8e175e76.jpg

I still need to upload my ROW pics and share them with the rest of the class.

Nah. I already had one. Great piece, and a great price too! But it's time to buckle down. ;)

Anyone need an eFX McQuarrie Vader? Dreams and Visions Press (affiliated with McQuarrie) is selling an A/P. Only $1000. Great price for this item!

https://dreamsandvisionspress.com/ralphmcquarrie-efxdarthvaderconcepthelmetap.aspx

Omg why did you show this!!! I want this more than any collectible out there but 1grand is alot for anything even though its worth more IMO. Ughh so tempted I do have the cash.

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Tapatalk

Back