1/6 Fire Toys A025 Selina Kyle Anne Hathaway Hot Toys Copy Catwoman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Fire Toys Catwoman

It was about $250 USD, including shipping. I haven’t really taken that close of a look at it yet, hopefully it holds up!

$250 is definitely on the very high end as Ebay price history shows most completion was around the $180-$200 mark.

I take it it is new mint in box hence the high asking price?

Although I have heard that just keeping it in the box also causes problems.

You are suppose to air it now and then to allow the figure to breathe otherwise it drys quicker and cracks.

There was a guy that bought a supposedly NMIB Catwoman.

It all looks good in the box.

As soon as he start touching the boot and suit, the pleather started flaking off.

The seller swears blind that he never used it even once and then other forum members chipping in saying its exactly because it was never taken out of the box that caused an issue.

Probably will great backup since my Hot Toys Catwoman suit pleather start flaking. Not much but worried some.

Tyler1234, I take it that's your Catwoman figure in the pic.

Did you not treat it then?

I think Haytil's advice is probably the most sensible.

You might as well wait 2-6 months to see how the actual figure turns out.

It's not as if the HT Catwoman will shoot up in price in the meantime.

If it does address all those previous HT problems (the goggle for a start!) or is at least on par (not exactly difficult to do as the original sculpt was not that great anyway), then the older HT Catwoman will tank in price.

Although I probably still wouldn't get the original Catwoman as any flaking is inevitable and it will look unbelievably lame to display a flaking Catwoman.

No, Those are not my pics. I sold my HT Catwoman ages ago although the flaking was very similar.

They were just from a google search and they happen to be from this very Sideshow forum's 1/6 Hot Toys Catwoman Selina Anne Hathaway thread.

Just do a search on any 1/6 forums and there will be similar pics.

There is even a thread on OSW (Not sure I am allowed to post a direct link here) about how to fix it by using black acrylic paint mixed with Liquitex fabric medium.

Well, I have tried that fix and it looks rubbish.

It makes it a weird shiny yet like paper, crumbly gritty finish that no longer look leather or rubber and it feels horrible to hold.

Catwoman is suppose to be smooth, shiny, sophisticated, cool cat, so any flaking, even a small amount looks absolutely horrendous.

It was the very first thing people comment on when they see my Catwoman figure - the flaking really cheapens the whole deal nevermind the broken goggle I also had.

So I sold it before it got worse.

And it was an absolute nightmare to sell even though I clearly mentioned its been repainted.

Had to pay to collect it back twice before I finally found a local buyer.

$250 is definitely on the very high end as Ebay price history shows most completion was around the $180-$200 mark.

I take it it is new mint in box hence the high asking price?
Not brand new, but it was at the bottom end of those that were available on eBay at the time, and a relatively local seller. It did come in the original box with all the original protective plastic films in place.

However I did look it over carefully this morning and I could not find any flaking or other defects. It looks as good as new to me, except maybe for some creases around the elbows which maybe aren’t present on a new figure.

Re: Fire Toys A025 Selina Kyle Catwoman Anne Hathaway

Just changed thread title with model number and clearer wording to which version of Catwoman this is for.

10_09cbccf5-da5a-413c-93f4-cf27b79150dc_1024x1024@2x.jpg

My HT Selina Kyle is still minty fresh in the Detolf. No flaking or issues of any kind. I will say that I really like the head sculpt of the Fire Toys version. I think it is the eyes and possible the mouth/lips area that really capture Anne Hathaway better than the HT one. I've kept the mask on it all this time but if I can snag just the head sculpt from Fire Toys, I would display sans mask.

Yes, that head sculpt definitely looks a lot better than the Hot Toys one.

Although bearing in mind the original was 2013 - with 6/7 extra years of experience and improving techniques/technology you do expect them to be better.

Fire Toys do seem to have brilliant sculptors and good past form - just look at their Joker and Princess Leia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngJd_OTIjbU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eccG-OXW0aA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGk4EhYs6YQ

They are providing worthy competition and it will benefit all collectors.

Yes, that head sculpt definitely looks a lot better than the Hot Toys one.

Although bearing in mind the original was 2013 - with 6/7 extra years of experience and improving techniques/technology you do expect them to be better.

Fire Toys do seem to have brilliant sculptors and good past form - just look at their Joker and Princess Leia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngJd_OTIjbU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eccG-OXW0aA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGk4EhYs6YQ

They are providing worthy competition and it will benefit all collectors.

They dont have sculptors. That joker is a custom by MJ12 that got recasted. There's a lot of those floating around now on ebay. And that Catwoman and Leia is definitely just Hot toys. That catwoman maybe, slightly have a better paintjob. But its the same sculpt.

They dont have sculptors. That joker is a custom by MJ12 that got recasted. There's a lot of those floating around now on ebay. And that Catwoman and Leia is definitely just Hot toys. That catwoman maybe, slightly have a better paintjob. But its the same sculpt.

I have sold my Catwoman now so can't post comparison pictures but the Fire Toys one is definitely quite an improvement.

The nose and area above the mouth all looks slightly different and the better for it.

The face is also slightly slimmer and elongated.

The Hot Toys version had dead eyes while this one is slightly improved and also closer together giving much much better resemblance to Anne Hathaway.

This change is not just in the head on shots so its not just a new paintjob.

The shape of the face is slimmer and longer in all the other shots from various angles (Just check Gaintoys website)

I don't think I am remembering this wrong as I am not the only owner (past) to have noticed it (see other previous posts).

The Hot Toys version looks ok at certain angles but also looks off in others (The most noticeable is that the nose is a bit too big and slightly the wrong shape but if you photo it straight on it usually looks ok.)

I think they recast the HT and then made small improvements on it so they don't get sued.

It is far easier than starting from scratch.

i think its best to keep in mind about the BIG DIFFERENCE between the promo photo and the actual product on hand, especially with female HS.

This is a recast of the HT version...and if the production piece turns out the same as their Leia effort...it will look inferior in every way. Soft squashed head sculpt with passable paint apps..

At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

This is a recast of the HT version...and if the production piece turns out the same as their Leia effort...it will look inferior in every way. Soft squashed head sculpt with passable paint apps..

I have the Fire Toys Joker and I can tell you the head sculpt and body is top notch.

Especially impressive when HT Joker is frequently voted as one of the best ever head sculpt.

I don't have the Fire Toys Leia but the general consensus was that it is quite close to HT quality.

Hard head sculpt indicates its just a cheap recast with a consequent loss of details and quality while a soft sculpt usually (not always of course) indicates its properly moulded even if it is based on an original HS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3vYyhY8oXc

Don't get pulled into the hype and think that nobody else can come close to Hot Toys quality.

Other manufacturers are catching up fast.

What you are paying for is the brand name they have built up and the really ridiculous licensing fee the studios charges Hot Toys for.

View attachment 455526

Again..as with most things in life...you get what you pay for...

Ditto, HT is still king when it comes to head sculpt. I secretly wish that someone would dethrone them so that they can stop overcharging

View attachment 455526

Again..as with most things in life...you get what you pay for...

This is what Hot Toys wants you to think.

Have you look at the current market recently?

Xensation af22 the advisor, Enterbay Leon, Asmus Gandalf, Blitzway etc.

I don't think its just the sculptors are getting better.

A lot of them are using 3D Facial mapping to get the basic head shape and face.

As the technology gets better, you would not even need sculptors to get the photo realistic final product.

Also, those two pictures of Leia are actually quite a poor example of HT superiority. The FT is actually slightly better at certain angles.

Look at the video review.

I have seen that Fire Toys Leia in hand and it is actually quite good. It doesn't look like a straight copy and the slimmer face looks more flattering.

Although the HT Leia wasn't exactly that great either so it wasn't hard to get close to it.

The same for this 1/6 Anne Hathaway.

This is a very old Hot Toys figure so the likeness was ok but certainly not up to their current quality.

The eyes are dead and the the pullback hairline distract.

The nose is too big and the face is also quite off at certain angles.

So Fire Toys could easily improve upon it, especially that goggle which is just a ridculous design.

Anyway, no point in arguing, with the product release so close, you two might as well wait.

Certainly seems risky to buy a 7yr old Hot Toys Catwoman.

It's not a matter of if, those rubber and pleather is definitely going to flake sooner or later.

Depends on your budget and preference in sculpts. I have the HT version but I do like the paint apps, particularly the eyes of the FireToys one.

Back