Figures you regret buying

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freestylex06x

Super Freak
Reaction score
Do you have figures you bought because it was a good deal, hyped up, or any other reason but a couple weeks or months later regretted buying it because it turned out to be not such a good investment? Sometimes I look at my collection and see where I could of saved money to buy great stuff in the future like the Hot Toys Batman line and Iron Man.

i dont think i have anything i really regret buying. but i do have figures that lost their luster after awhile. now i think long and hard if i really really want the figure or if it is something that i wont be interested in a few years. this has helped me cancel a lot of items at the last minute.

here are some factors i follow and other collectors should consider.
1. are you gonna enjoy this figure the same next year or in 5 years time?
2. are you buying this for yourself or are you buying it cuz everyone else is getting one?
3. unless you are an insane die-hard superfan, dont be a completist. seriously.
4. can you get this figure cheaper from a secondary source a little later?

i dont think i have anything i really regret buying. but i do have figures that lost their luster after awhile. now i think long and hard if i really really want the figure or if it is something that i wont be interested in a few years. this has helped me cancel a lot of items at the last minute.

here are some factors i follow and other collectors should consider.
1. are you gonna enjoy this figure the same next year or in 5 years time?
2. are you buying this for yourself or are you buying it cuz everyone else is getting one?
3. unless you are an insane die-hard superfan, dont be a completist. seriously.
4. can you get this figure cheaper from a secondary source a little later?

Eh. I love to collect 1/6 scale. I think that the medium improves by leaps and bounds every year and what was a great sculpt a year or to ago (original HT BB) may look like a joke compared to the newer stuff. However, I bought the Boba Fett from Medi because the proto pics looked out of this world. The figure in hand, however, is not without its issues and is not as good as the Marmit. Thus, I do regret dropping the $$$ on that one. My opinion, though.

Regret? Thats easy!

Medicom RAH Batman Begins
Medicom RAH Shadow (Mini Me) Trooper
DC Direct Classic Batman (Too tall)

Thats about it, i've sold things only to buy new stuff but thats all.

Too many to mention. I used to get all the nitchie little Star Wars stuff like the Disney characters (or anyone else) dresed as Star Wars and Darth Tater and that kind of stuff but then I had about a year where I cleaned house and ebayed a ton of that. Now I pretty much think twice before I get anything and stick to the better more "real" star wars stuff.

Yeah, sometimes it's not so much regret as it is you have to cycle your collection to make room for newer pieces. If I knew then what I know now would I have bought a McFarlane 12" Predator? Probably not, but who knew. Anyway, my kids inherit any of my old or less desirable pieces so everyone wins.:joy

I've bought plenty of things before, but these are my biggest regrets:

Comissioning AndGor Toys for a 1/6th Billy Zane head - only to get a 1/5th scale version 6 months later that was completely unusable - waaay to big to use on a figure. The actual sculpting was good, but I was crushed after finally getting it in hand after several frustrating months of dealing with AndGor.

Paying about $260 shipped (aftermarket prices) for a Takara Batman Begins figure...then selling it about 6 months later for $225... then buying the reissue version of Takara Batman Begins for $200 in February... Selling it last month for $150 after HT announced theirs :monkey4

I have the HT version and I'm not trading up any more!!

Last edited:
everything medicom.:chase

:lol Aside from the clones, I'd agree. Although they make some nice parts for customs if you work with them a little. I've used Medicom bits on my Marmit Boba Fett, custom ANH Vader, and also made a female Stormtrooper from their armor.

But stock, out of the box...the 1/6.5 scale gets to me every time.

not regret but looking to get something back for my Medi vader and luke now that I got SS's version on order

i regret my medicom spiderman 3 and batman begins, both because the movie hyped them up. i wish hot toys would make a spiderman that actually looks muscular like the movies, not a puny stick figure like medicom's. the batman figure... no need to explain

Pretty rare I ever regret buying a figure... but still over time there are figures I loose interest in, or decided to replace.

However, I did recently buy the Medicom Hostel figure, that was an instant regret for me.

Back