FF reboot in 2011

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booyah!

Super Freak
Reaction score
As Jim Hill Media reports, according to information garnered at the Licensing International Expo 2009, both 20th Century Fox's reboot of The Fantastic Four and Jerry Bruckheimer's production of The Lone Ranger will be reaching theaters in the summer of 2011.
Of The Fantastic Four, the site notes, "it will reportedly feature an all-new cast as well as a far darker take on this classic Marvel comic."

Along with the confirmed Thor, Spider-man 4 and Captain America films in 2011.

Plus, by then it will have been two years since the Wolverine film was released and considering how fast they greenlighted Wolverine 2 and the Deadpool spinoff, I doubt they'll make us wait three years for both of those. Chances are we'll get at least one by 2011. Probably the Deadpool movie.

So, we might be looking at five Marvel films for 2011. :banana

Great to hear this is going forward! I loved the FF comics, especially the John Byrne run. But I really didn't like what the movies did with the characters. I HATED what they did to Doom. I mean, his comics origin is perfect--there was no need to reinvent it especially to something so bland. And although I liked Chris Evans as the Torch, and Jessica Alba (although for all the wrong reasons), the movies were simply lackluster. I've liked what the Marvel has done with the movies when they're in charge, like Iron Man, Punisher WarZone and Hulk reboot (haven't seen Wolverine), so I think they'll do the FF characters justice.

yay!!!....reboot FF!...no more alba, no more gort doom, no more comedy and PLEASE NO MORE OF GAS CLOUD GALACTUS!!!...WE WANT THE REAL WORLD DEVOURER!:rock...
galactus-736635.jpg

Good news!! I thought the first two were okay, but I didn't like what they did with Doom. Let's hope they make hi. More menacing in the new one, with a much more ominous voice!

See its this "far darker" part that has me a bit concerned. Ever since TDK was classified as dark, every film treatment and pitch seems to be targeted with "darker" as the heading. Superman, the next Spider-Man, Green Lantern, etc. If there were ever a group that were the farthest from dark it'd be the Fantastic Four. The group itself is supposed to be lighthearted and warm with Johnny being the stereotypical "bad boy", Mr. Fantastic juggling the border of scientific and ridiculous, Ben loving everything there is to love about being the Thing (once he gets used to it) and Sue being the overall "parental" voice. Their villains were always on the darker end but not the group themselves.

My biggest complaint with the original Fantastic Four wasn't the way it was done but that Reed and Sue were completely miscasted. The atmosphere was about right and if they didn't bastardized Doom and kept him more along the comic range it would have been fine.

I actually enjoyed the first two. I wouldnt say they are favorites, but enjoyable for sure! FF in my opinion shouldnt really be too dark. It has always been done as a more light hearted comic.

As for Doom's origin in the movie...yeah it left a little to be desired, but you have to remember the time constraints in a movie. If they wanted to tell the origin story of the FF AND Doom seperately then a story with FF against Doom the movie would be like 4 hours long. So while I don't really LIKE the movie Doom origin, I understand why they went that direction.

They could have used the Ultimates version and got away with it just fine. They tried to copy most of it but it didn't pan out because while they copied the beginnings they tried to tie the endings with 616 pieces. If they really tried they could get Dooms origin down. My opinion though, don't lead with Doom. Lead with Mole Man, have the FF fight something enormous and introduce Victor then with the sequel introduce Doom.

See its this "far darker" part that has me a bit concerned.
I was thinking the same thing. I am psyched about a re-boot for one of my all-time favorite comic teams, but FF were never "dark" by any stretch of the imagination when I read their comics. I wonder if the impact of the Dark Knight will do more harm than good when all is said and done. :(

The previous movies weren't bad because they were light-hearted. They were bad because they were badly written, directed, and acted (though I like the actors picked to play Johnny Storm and Thing).

They could have used the Ultimates version and got away with it just fine. They tried to copy most of it but it didn't pan out because while they copied the beginnings they tried to tie the endings with 616 pieces. If they really tried they could get Dooms origin down. My opinion though, don't lead with Doom. Lead with Mole Man, have the FF fight something enormous and introduce Victor then with the sequel introduce Doom.

If you spaced the Doom origin out over 2 movies it would definately work. Also, In this case it may not work, but I think Batman: TDK showed that you don't always need an origin for your villian

It will do more harm for lazy scriptwriters and production teams that fail to tie anything back to the source material. You'll have a writer who will make Thing a sexual pervert, Johnny emo who cuts himself after every mission, Sue a coked out waif who uses to deal with her pain and Reed a genius who can only tap into his intelligence after taking heroine.

If you spaced the Doom origin out over 2 movies it would definately work. Also, In this case it may not work, but I think Batman: TDK showed that you don't always need an origin for your villian

The Joker's origin was never tied to Batman, that is the difference. Doom and Reed are tied together in every telling, in every reboot and in every incarnation. They cannot be severed. TDK like it will be for many things is a horrible measure for other comic book movies. Batman's tellings are very unique with his villains always existing especially in the Silver Age outside of himself. Spider-Man's villains work the same way as do the X-Mens...

But I think Doom's origin is kind of important to the story. He is driven by his jealousy toward Reed, starting with his blaming Reed for his disfigurement.

The Joker's origin was never tied to Batman, that is the difference. Doom and Reed are tied together in every telling, in every reboot and in every incarnation. They cannot be severed. TDK like it will be for many things is a horrible measure for other comic book movies. Batman's tellings are very unique with his villains always existing especially in the Silver Age outside of himself. Spider-Man's villains work the same way as do the X-Mens...

I should clarify...I wasnt speaking about doom. I should have separated the two statments by a line as follows:

If you spaced the Doom origin out over two movies it would definately work!

Also, in the case of Moleman it may not work, but like TDK showed us, the villan doesnt always need an origin.

But I think Doom's origin is kind of important to the story. He is driven by his jealousy toward Reed, starting with his blaming Reed for his disfigurement.

Exactly! It gives the villain the proper motivation to torment the FF. It makes it all personal and more grave.

And while I agree that FF shouldn't be "dark", it should still be taken seriously. I think the tone of Iron Man is about right.

And while I agree that FF shouldn't be "dark", it should still be taken seriously. I think the tone of Iron Man is about right.

I agree. FF needs a little light heartedness to it to work IMO, but it does have to have a convincingly serious overtone. IM is probably the right feel.

i hate how they did doom he didnt seem so menacing and he sounded like a loser. and the thing seemed like he could beat him up to easily.

Looking forward to this reboot as well. The franchise needed it although I thought Chris Evans & Michael Chiklis were perfectly cast in their roles the 1st 2 FF movies.

Back