Speculation: X-Men and Fantastic Four Premium Format Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nexus

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Now that Disney is on the way to acquiring Fox--bringing the X-Men and FF back into the cinematic fold -- it probably won't be long before Marvel takes their foot off the "merchandising air hose" that has impacted/restricted FF and X-Men statues, figures and other merchandise. While SS has trickled out some of the more popular X-Men like Wolverine and Phoenix, as well as Doom a few years ago, the Disney/Fox feud kept them pretty boxed in. That's probably why we are seeing announcements of redos, like Captain America, Black Widow, Daredevil and Elektra, which have probably been in the pipeline for some time. Hopefully the cuffs will be coming off soon and SS can open up the character lis. Depending on when the deal closes, which could be as short as 6 months or as long as 18, movie announcements might start coming as soon as this year's SDCC.

Here's what I'd like to see (comic versions):

FANTASTIC FOUR
Reed Richards/Mr Fantastic -- Interchangeable stretched limbs
Sue Storm/Invisible Woman -- Interchangeable phasing arms, transparent force field spheres (clear variant)
Johnny Story/Human Torch -- Interchangeable flame arms with light-up, (translucent flame-on Torch variant with light-up feature)
Ben Grim/The Thing -- 7' scale, extra portrait
Dr. Doom on Throne V2 -- all new sculpt, unmasked portrait
Silver Surfer -- all new sculpt, chrome paint
Super Skrull -- light up feature

X-MEN
Professor X - Shi'ar floating chair (light-up screens, cerebro helmet, astral projection figure EX)
Cyclops -- modernized Jim Lee costume V2 (Light up feature. Unmasked EX)
Beast --Faux fur (portrait with glasses EX)
Iceman --Interchangeable ice constructs
Angel -- modernized Byrne-inspired Blue & White halo costume, Red & White variant (interchangeable feather angel wings, metal archangel wings, unmasked portrait).
Nightcrawler
Juggernaut -- (removable helmet)
Quicksilver
Havok
Polaris
Bishop
Cable
X-23

I won't pick up any FF pieces but I'm down for some new X-MEN PFs. NO Jim Lee PFs though. We already have those except for Storm. Give me Byrne classic costumes and I'm all over that......
Cyclops
Nightcrawler
Colossus
Storm (OG Storm looks OK but after seeing the XM Storm, sideshow can up their game).

Those 4 in classic Byrne costumes would be automatic buys for me. Throw in a Cable PF and that would do it for me as far as X-MEN PFs are concerned.

I'd be down for any of those suggestions.

For me, tho ...it's not necessary to have Dr. Doom on a throne. They just have to give his armor, faceplate, tunic and cape justice. Fully sculpted would be preferred.

I'd be down for any of those suggestions.

For me, tho ...it's not necessary to have Dr. Doom on a throne. They just have to give his armor, faceplate, tunic and cape justice. Fully sculpted would be preferred.

I would agree, especially since I have the original, but I think it's too tempting of a target for SS to ignore given the appeal of the piece in the secondary market and the success of the exclusive Thanos on Throne. I would hate to see them go the lazy route and recast the original, which is just so elegant in execution. However it would not surprise me, which is one reason I've been thinking about selling mine. I doubt they would go with a fully sculpted cape, and changing out the fabric for something thicker would actually be an upgrade. They could also further upgrade it with a removable faceplate.

This is just one of those risks one takes. One day you're riding high with a rare and valuable statue or figure, then SS or HT announces a redo/update and the value takes a nosedive.

NO Jim Lee PFs though. We already have those except for Storm. Give me Byrne classic costumes and I'm all over that......
Cyclops
Nightcrawler
Colossus
Storm (OG Storm looks OK but after seeing the XM Storm, sideshow can up their game).

Those 4 in classic Byrne costumes would be automatic buys for me. Throw in a Cable PF and that would do it for me as far as X-MEN PFs are concerned.

I like Byrne's costumes as well, but Jim Lee's may have a broader appeal. I already have all the X-Men PFs (Cyclops, Colossus, Psylocke, Gambit, Rogue, etc), but all of those can be improved upon. Also I think SS is kind of taking a page out of XM's book and enhancing the designs with a more realistic take by adding texture and other design elements as opposed to just painted on costumes that are direct translations of the comic pages. So I could see myself selling off the old pieces and trading up. It's also possible they could come up with a design for characters like Cyclops that could merge both the Lee and Byrne design into a modern take and give him both an open and closed cowl swap-out portrait.

Last edited:
Better just have no expectation of what SS is gonna do. Surprise surprise is the game hahaha

I can’t believe they still haven’t made a juggernaut piece yet.

I'm still waiting for a bad*** Silver Surfer in chrome. I'm confident we'll see one from XM or Sideshow one day.

I like Byrne's costumes as well, but Jim Lee's may have a broader appeal. I already have all the X-Men PFs (Cyclops, Colossus, Psylocke, Gambit, Rogue, etc), but all of those can be improved upon. Also I think SS is kind of taking a page out of XM's book and enhancing the designs with a more realistic take by adding texture and other design elements as opposed to just painted on costumes that are direct translations of the comic pages. So I could see myself selling off the old pieces and trading up. It's also possible they could come up with a design for characters like Cyclops that could merge both the Lee and Byrne design into a modern take and give him both an open and closed cowl swap-out portrait.

I don't want another Lee line. It's already been released. I have plenty of faith that a Byrne line will sell. Dark and green Phoenix, Storm, brown Wolverine, and the classic variant Sabretooth PFs are all Byrne era costumes. We get a trickle of Byrne era pieces from time to time. With just a few more PFs sideshow could easily have the core members of the Byrne era tied up. The classic yellow and blue Lee Wolverine PF is exactly the same as a Byrne era PF so that character is taken care of (I actually have the yellow and blue COM for that). Both versions of Phoenix have been released (I have the XM Phoenix). Storm has a classic black PF (although I'm not really smitten with it). All that's really left for me personally is a classic Cyclops, Colossus, and Nightcrawler. I'm not a big Kitty, Beast, or Angel fan so I'd pass on those.

Regardless of what you or I want, it looks like sideshow is focused on giving us their own take on these characters. I have a feeling we won't be seeing any comic accurate X-MEN PFs anytime soon.

I can’t believe they still haven’t made a juggernaut piece yet.

This doesn't impress you?

7172_press03-001.jpg

Chrome isn't really feasible

You don't think something in 1/4 scale (analogous to Bowen's 1/5-1/6 Surfer) is doable?

Cost concerns or QC concerns - or both?

I get it, but I'm willing to bet (for a premium) some company will attempt it.

Back