Fertility Idol prop replica--PREORDER NOW ON PAGE ONE!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We need some updated photos on the site!

I don't think they are going to change the mouth.
They should still put updated photos though, you're right.
In fact, as much as I've been looking forward to this piece
I may cancel until I see updated photos.

I don't think they are going to change the mouth.
They should still put updated photos though, you're right.
In fact, as much as I've been looking forward to this piece
I may cancel until I see updated photos.

I really don't care about the mouth as I just want to make sure that the final production pieces have the same shine as the prototype.

I'm sure it will be just as shiny as the proto. I don't think they changed Toht's ark from shiny to non-shiny. No reason to think they would do that with the idol.

I'm canceling but I plan on maybe going the flex-pay route. Depends on when the Orange Pauldron Sandtrooper comes out--supposedly March. If not there's always the e-sellers. It'll be good to see some in-hand pics before I get it.

Re: Fertility Idol prop replica!

Good Job Sideshow, finally.

I already have a very accurate idol, so this is a pass, but I hope it turns out well.

They do a 1:1 Crystal Skull and I'm in though.

A 1:1 Crystal skull would be nicer than this and more impressive. I just don't like the mouth and inaccuracies. Go watch the movie and come back...

A 1:1 Crystal skull would be nicer than this and more impressive. I just don't like the mouth and inaccuracies. Go watch the movie and come back...

While this is true, I just can't seem to hit that cancel button.

Guess I'm gonna have a shiny idol in my living room after all.
boo ya!

Oh I know, thats what I was saying, the Idol from Sideshow is innaccurate, mine isn't. Sorry for the confusion. Heres a pic of mine, its got the correct mouth :

Raiders.jpg

Sideshow got the mouth corners and I think the hairline wrong but its probably not their fault. Its my understanding the Lucas Archives Idols got dropped while cleaning a few years ago and were rebuilt with minor innaccuracies, so the source material they had to go off from Lucas Archives is technically incorrect.

I thought this was a freshly sculpted piece off of reference of the original idol?

Sideshow got the mouth corners and I think the hairline wrong but its probably not their fault.
No, probably it is.

The idols in the archives which were used in the film all have the correct mouth and are still there. They've been restored and re-plated. The reason the one with the frowned mouth was used in the archives book is because the ones used in the film had not yet been restored at that time and they needed an idol for a Japanese LFL prop exhibit, so they just took a production made idol (not screen used) and fixed it up a bit. The exhibit then published a book to go along with the exhibit which later turned in the the LFL Archives book. So, the idol in that book was never once used in the film and IS incorrect for what we see on the screen.

That LFL Archives book has screwed up a number of people attempting to recreate this prop since it isn't correct, especially if you don't know the story of why it's there to begin with. I doubt highly that Sideshow did much research next to what is seen in that book, nor listened to many of the comments on their site telling them in plain English that their sculpt was incorrect. That being the case the only thing I can deduce is that they really, honestly and truely DO NOT CARE. All they had to do was pull up a few websites or hell, just pop in the movie and see what it looked like.

Carl, confirm or deny! Anyways I saw the Idol at SDCC and it looked pretty sweet to me. I am still on as long as the *gulp* paint don't flake. :(

Ah, thanks for the rest of the story. Its really a shame because I doubt their will be another official prop of this idol made anytime in the next 10 years.

Very curious how the final product will turn out on this... I'm still interested in picking it up at some point. But doesn't feel like there is a huge rush to get it.

Meh for the price and the stand I can overlook the inaccuracies. Plus know one I know would ever notice it anyways and I don't care.

Meh for the price and the stand I can overlook the inaccuracies. Plus know one I know would ever notice it anyways and I don't care.
I feel exactly the same on just about anything NOT related to Raiders of the Lost Ark. If it's Raiders I want it done right. However, my tolerance for disappointment has been been built up well over the years once you're used to it.

Last time I looked this was still available. I want it but I'll roll the dice and wait for a price drop.

I thought this was a freshly sculpted piece off of reference of the original idol?

No, probably it is.

The idols in the archives which were used in the film all have the correct mouth and are still there. They've been restored and re-plated. The reason the one with the frowned mouth was used in the archives book is because the ones used in the film had not yet been restored at that time and they needed an idol for a Japanese LFL prop exhibit, so they just took a production made idol (not screen used) and fixed it up a bit. The exhibit then published a book to go along with the exhibit which later turned in the the LFL Archives book. So, the idol in that book was never once used in the film and IS incorrect for what we see on the screen.

That LFL Archives book has screwed up a number of people attempting to recreate this prop since it isn't correct, especially if you don't know the story of why it's there to begin with. I doubt highly that Sideshow did much research next to what is seen in that book, nor listened to many of the comments on their site telling them in plain English that their sculpt was incorrect. That being the case the only thing I can deduce is that they really, honestly and truely DO NOT CARE. All they had to do was pull up a few websites or hell, just pop in the movie and see what it looked like.

And this is why I will not be getting this sculpt. This sculpt did not appear in the movie at all.. Sideshow loses a sale..

2497389582_1a13651053.jpg

This is a production idol without the plating. You can also make out the loss of detail in the baby's face at the bottom on the Sideshow version. Even if they just changed the mouth it would make a HUGE difference.

Very curious how the final product will turn out on this... I'm still interested in picking it up at some point. But doesn't feel like there is a huge rush to get it.

Me too, put me in the wait and see camp. :gun

Back