Executive Replicas 2001 Space Odyssey Astronauts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was trying to convey. This figure is probably better scaled to the 1:6 Alex Ross Batman I have in the back of my of my photos above.

Box credit: Yes, it's there - congratulations! - but I can't in good conscience spoil the complete surprise by showing a picture of it.
Thank you, I like your style. It'll be more exciting for me to see it for myself.
I have a suspicion / theory as to the lack of un-gloved hands: Maybe when Executive Replicas saw the finished run come back from China, they were surprised and unhappy with the large head and neck issues, but it was too late to fix it; so, they removed the bare hands to discourage people from displaying the figure with the helmet off... just a possibility.
For those who are really bothered by the head size, (I might be one of them- I'll have to wait and see) I know a way to shrink it: I'll remove the head and make a polyurethane mold of it, NOT silicone; polyurethane molds are notorious for shrinkage, so the new cast head would be smaller, and ready for a new paint job as well.
I can't wait to get these in hand! I love the suits, and I'll even enjoy futzing them a bit for improvement. Here's an example of a small mod that will improve detail accuracy: The flexible breathing tube from the chest box to the helmet should be made of the following well-known flex tubing: BRAIDED HOSEs-l1600.jpg I'm sure you all know about this stuff; it was also used on the spacesuit boots in ALIEN. The problem is reproducing it in 1/6 scale... Well, I think I found a solution on ebay. You can find the material below by searching on ebay thus: "600 Deg.C Braided Fiber Glass Tube High Temperature Soft Fiber Glass Sleeving"
1mm-l500.jpg
This stuff comes in 1mm thickness, which would be small enough to (paint metallic, seal, then) insert into the existing clear breathing tube on the suit. Yes, I'm a fanatic... LOL

When I recently watched 2001 the air hose tube looked ribbed and not braided. I'll rewatch it and post an image.

Here's the best close-up of the tube I could find. It looks like the outside of the clear tube is smooth, with a simple spiral-wound cord inside. That will be much easier to duplicate than the braided style.
2010_00312908_1008x1512_012020091758 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
So does it come with the silver stand that mimics those seen in the film and shown in the promo pics?

My sincere hope is to display these exactly as seen in this photo. To me, this is the best option and eliminates the concerns about the head sculpt paint, sizing, etc.

02001_space3.jpg

So does it come with the silver stand that mimics those seen in the film and shown in the promo pics?

My sincere hope is to display these exactly as seen in this photo. To me, this is the best option and eliminates the concerns about the head sculpt paint, sizing, etc.

View attachment 237847

I really hope so too... It does look like there is room for it in the box, doesn't it?
7dae93134639e997287c0c8cab520ac0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that's what those things at the top and side are for; I didn't take them out because I won't be using them. The long post on the side of the foam also includes the two straps as shown in the photo so you can wrap them around the space suit.

YES!!!!

Are they metal by any chance?

Any possibility of a pic? Possibly with the suit it and by itself? :pray:

(No worries if that's too much manipulation)

Yes, that's what those things at the top and side are for; I didn't take them out because I won't be using them. The long post on the side of the foam also includes the two straps as shown in the photo so you can wrap them around the space suit.

Back pack pics please? Guess no plain hands? Maybe find some replacements- but ER should do something as these were advertised frim the beginning!

Some quick photos. To me it seems quite tall compared to other 1/6 figures (not counting Tyrion Lannister of course :) ). And the body seems fairly narrow/thin, which doesn't look quite right. Also, I'm not a fan of that squishy body parts. This seems like a potential time bomb with the rubber rotting eventually. And the arms SUCK. Poseability on this is next to zero- the legs can't really do much, the torso can't do much. And the only part you might be able to pose (the elbows) are so weak they can't even hold any position you put them in (the suit is quite thick/stiff). There seems to be some paint issues on the helmet.

But the head sculpt looks better in person than in pictures and it is impressive overall (just because I'm a sucker for the 2001 designs). But not worth the asking price in my opinion.

No additional hands were included.

2_1.jpg

3.jpg

1_1.jpg

4_1.jpg

6_1.jpg

7.jpg

5_1.jpg

Sean

Last edited:
Some quick photos. To me it seems quite tall compared to other 1/6 figures (not counting Tyrion Lannister of course :) ). And the body seems fairly narrow/thin, which doesn't look quite right. Also, I'm not a fan of that squishy body parts. This seems like a potential time bomb with the rubber rotting eventually. And the arms SUCK. Poseability on this is next to zero- the legs can't really do much, the torso can't do much. And the only part you might be able to pose (the elbows) are so weak they can't even hold any position to put them in (the suit is quite thick). There seems to be some paint issues on the helmet.
But the head sculpt looks better in person than in pictures and it is impressive overall (just because I'm a sucker for the 2001 designs). But not worth the asking price in my opinion.

No additional hands were included.

2_1.jpg

3.jpg

1_1.jpg

4_1.jpg

6_1.jpg

7.jpg

5_1.jpg

Sean

That's a shame... Do you think the body could be swapped with a Hot Toys ttm19?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the best close-up of the tube I could find. It looks like the outside of the clear tube is smooth, with a simple spiral-wound cord inside. That will be much easier to duplicate than the braided style.
View attachment 237848

The air hose is ribbed on the exterior, it is not smooth. See this photo of one of the Keir Dullea helmets prior to restoration. You can see the irregular highlights on the exterior of the hose that show the ribbing. Mike Scott, my friend, who is the premiere authority on the 2001 suits, provided Adam Savage and astronaut Chris Hadfield 2001 Clavius suits for Comic-Con 2015. Though Adam used a totally smooth hose which is not screen accurate. You can even see the irregular highlights on the hose in the photo you posted.

Also the movie photo you posted shows the accordion collar below the metal connector. Although the Executive Replicas shows the accordion collar below the metal helmet ring up a bit more than the real suit, it is not all that bad as was companied about a few posts back.

Honestly folks, short of Hot Toys doing 2001, this is quite a nice accurate effort and the price is quite affordable. I applaud Executive Replicas for being the only one to step up to this license and provide it to us hardcore 2001 fans. This is quite possibly the last 1/6 scale release of the 2001 suits. The aftermarket in a few years is likely to price these in the thousands of dollars, so buy them now if you don't want to get priced out of affording them.

Helmet2_zpsyvkkbssd.jpg

The air hose is ribbed on the exterior, it is not smooth. See this photo of one of the Keir Dullea helmets prior to restoration. You can see the irregular highlights on the exterior of the hose that show the ribbing. Mike Scott, my friend, who is the premiere authority on the 2001 suits, provided Adam Savage and astronaut Chris Hadfield 2001 Clavius suits for Comic-Con 2015. Though Adam used a totally smooth hose which is not screen accurate. You can even see the irregular highlights on the hose in the photo you posted.

Also the movie photo you posted shows the accordion collar below the metal connector. Although the Executive Replicas shows the accordion collar below the metal helmet ring up a bit more than the real suit, it is not all that bad as was companied about a few posts back.

Honestly folks, short of Hot Toys doing 2001, this is quite a nice accurate effort and the price is quite affordable. I applaud Executive Replicas for being the only one to step up to this license and provide it to us hardcore 2001 fans. This is quite possibly the last 1/6 scale release of the 2001 suits. The aftermarket in a few years is likely to price these in the thousands of dollars, so buy them now if you don't want to get priced out of affording them.

View attachment 237963
It's long been apparent to me that there were more than one hose used which differ slightly from each other in detail, just as there were more than one chest control box with slight variations as well. Which ones were used on screen, for pre-production tests, for promotional stills etc. is the question. I think anyone intending to mod the suit for accuracy should simply choose which version looks best to them personally. Thanks for that photo; it does show one version very clearly.

It's long been apparent to me that there were more than one hose used which differ slightly from each other in detail, just as there were more than one chest control box with slight variations as well. Which ones were used on screen, for pre-production tests, for promotional stills etc. is the question. I think anyone intending to mod the suit for accuracy should simply choose which version looks best to them personally. Thanks for that photo; it does show one version very clearly.

Note that your photo also shows a ribbed exterior on the hose too.

hose%20ribbed_zpsr7onie6g.jpg

Kubrick was notorious for being singleminded about keeping details the same…almost obsessive. It could be that there were more than one type hose used (promo pictures where parts were not finalized), though the consultants were NASA and they'd likely suggest similar materials. See the hose style Alan Shepard used.

I think your suggestion to use the miniature braided one would look better than the stock Executive Replicas hose if it can easily be replaced. I wonder if any clear hosing is available ribbed at this 1/6 scale size.

hose%20ribbed%202_zpsb7dmvtcc.jpg

Anyway, back to the figures. Hope mine is coming soon.

Back