EU Wharehouse closing?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, USPS would have been the only decent solution for me.
Once again ,it's not even a question of price but rather all the administrative bull???? we'll have to go through now. I'm seriously disappointed.
As much as I can understand that Sideshow had to do it in order to survive the crisis, I really hope they're going to lose most of their European customers... :(
Anyway, this is less of a problem now that it would have been a few years back when Sideshow really mattered. Now that they have almost stopped 1/6, they've lost what most of us wanted to buy from them anyway.
Still, it really tells a lot about the lack of consideration these guys give us.
I've bought from them from the very start, bought a lot and never even received a gift card or anything. And now this?

Well... I guess we won't forget...

I think it has nothing to do with TAXES as we all know what they cost.
My only concern is the FED-EX charges. I just hope that they stick to the agreement with Sideshow. That's why I will be making sure I get in touch with Sideshow a month before dispatch

Oh USPS is the United States Postal Service and using them would mean that the item would arrive in your country and then get sorted and posted out by your national postal service. E.G Royal Mail in the UK.
totally agree.well said my friend!!:D

What is galling me is that I now need to be really selective about what I order from sideshow.
Between shipping costs, custom charges and courier fees I'm going to end up paying at least one and a half times the cost of US buyers.
So if I buy something, I need to really want it because if I decide to sell it on later, I'm guaranteed to make a big loss.:(

I collect alot of Hot Toys Figures ! Ive primarily used Sideshow as they have fantastic customer service, cheap shipping and up until now no problems with added customs and VAT charges

Ive also bought Hot Toys items from Toys2.net in Canada, their customer service is a bit of a disaster as they never reply to my emails (and those arent emails sorting out problematic issues with the product, rather emails asking for order confirmations so god forbid I had a problem with an item)

As far as I am aware their shipping was generally cheaper than SSC ???

Whose the better option now ??

I guess Ill have to weigh up all those factors when the new HT figures start hitting my doorstep under the new shipping regiment from SSC. Ive a HT DX Batman heading its way from Canada soon so that will be my yardstick for dealing with SSC

You know Ive had stuff from Ebay and from abroad posted by Parcelforce, I can handle the VAT charges, its the 'clearence fee' thats the kicker, its usually doubles the cost of the VAT. I noticed that on a few posts on here like that, clearence fee, administration fee, not drop kicking out of the van fee.

They get you by the short and curlies and slap a name to it and double your VAT and customs charges.

I noticed a similar titled charge on some shipping figures quoted on this thread from FedEx, if weve paid 'carriage' why do we need a second charge from the same company ? We paid the carriage, thats to get the thing from SSC to my doorstep . . end of story.

Its shipping companies getting greedy imho

Last edited:
any american who thinks this a good thing is mistaken as all it will lead to is reduced orders from EU there fore lowering future edition sizes but increasing prices to compensate less sales or less product produced

Ive also bought Hot Toys items from Toys2.net in Canada, their customer service is a bit of a disaster as they never reply to my emails (and those arent emails sorting out problematic issues with the product, rather emails asking for order confirmations so god forbid I had a problem with an item)

Wow!:horror I've heard nothing but good things about Toys2 customer service.

Wow!:horror I've heard nothing but good things about Toys2 customer service.

This will be the second time on these boards Ive posted about a lack of response from Toys2.net

Last time someone who deals with them regularily from these boards and has a channel of communication with them contacted them and pointed them at my posts. If that person would be so kind as to post again to them ???

Id appreciate it,

any american who thinks this a good thing is mistaken as all it will lead to is reduced orders from EU there fore lowering future edition sizes but increasing prices to compensate less sales or less product produced

yeah,if the eu customers are too many this will affect every customer.when did the eu warehouse open????

Yeah my thought too :monkey2

I know for my order future I will consider more than twice before putting up a order - the reason is the custom/tax in Denmark wich are 25%.....feks on a Predalien 1:1 bust the result of the extra tax cost for us Danish is a PF order less at Sideshows site - this will reslut in the same as you describe above ! :duh

I thought I'd let you know that Sideshow's EU Costomer services got back to me about shipping by means other than FedEx. They will ship UPS instead on request, and can give shipping quotes for any in stock products (which isn't very helpful since I won't order in the first place if I don't know how much shipping will cost). They stated that UPS will likely cost more than FedEx since they haven't negotiated their special rates with them. So the usual party line there then. They didn't reply about the USPS, so I think that's not an option.

All my orders with them have been canceled. They'll have to put something extra special out to make me order anything direct again. Thanks for the great service in the past Sideshow; it's a great shame you aren't able to supply it in the future.

I remember buying stuff from Sideshow before they had an EU warehouse, back in the SSW days when i bought a Bilbo from them in America.
I survived then and hopefully i can now, but i'll have to see what other people here get charged for items. It might make me wary about ordering large items from them, but as i only collect LOTR dioramas i'm sure i'll be able to get them no problem through secondary markets or retailers...but if a must have exclusive comes out, i'll just have to order it anyway and know that by maybe paying a bit extra i'll be getting something i really want and can't get from anywhere else.
Of course it was nice having the EU warehouse, but as others have said not every country in the world has their own warehouse so we've been fortunate for a few years.
When i first heard this i was angry too, but now i'm like 'pff, whatever.' We'll see in the future whether this was a good move or not.

Yeah, USPS would have been the only decent solution for me.
Once again ,it's not even a question of price but rather all the administrative bull???? we'll have to go through now. I'm seriously disappointed.
As much as I can understand that Sideshow had to do it in order to survive the crisis, I really hope they're going to lose most of their European customers... :(
Anyway, this is less of a problem now that it would have been a few years back when Sideshow really mattered. Now that they have almost stopped 1/6, they've lost what most of us wanted to buy from them anyway.
Still, it really tells a lot about the lack of consideration these guys give us.
I've bought from them from the very start, bought a lot and never even received a gift card or anything. And now this?

Well... I guess we won't forget...

We have explored the USPS option and they unfortunately cannot offer the level of service and competitive shipping prices that FedEx can. Many people think using USPS will save the VAT and custom fees however that usually is only if you doctor the customs paperwork by claiming a gift or lesser SRP, which we cannot do. Perhaps smaller vendors or Ebayers can do that and that is why people assume that Sideshow will be able to do the same.

Sideshow has made great efforts to make our product affordable to the EU community. The EU facility was not owned or directly controlled by Sideshow, which in itself caused numerous problems that our staff has struggled with at great expense, an expense that was not passed on the the EU clients. We absorbed all of the loading costs and import charges assessed just for stocking the EU warehouse that should have been passed onto the EU clients as well but were not. The comments such as the ones above about the 'lack of consideration' Sideshow gives to our EU clients, highlights the misconception many EU collectors have. The other ridiculous, sniping comments won't be addressed but we are embarrassed for those posters.

The escalating internal warehouse issues, unreliable local carriers losing and damaging packages, and their sporadic delivery schedules and practices caused customer complaints, frustration and skyrocketing product and administration costs. These costs would have been passed onto the EU customer in 2010. After sheltering most of the costs that should have been paid by our EU customers, literally since we began using that facility, the increases would have been a shock. Thus, we opted to bring EU shipments back within the control of our own warehouse and use the volume to negotiate special rates not just for the EU but for our other International clients as well.

This decision brings with it many advantages:

1) Faster delivery
2) Safer shipments and easier product exchanges
3) Better tracking
4) Competitive rates
5) Focused customer service. Our reps can now spend the time on assisting customers with their accounts and product questions rather than trying to locate missing pallets and shipments and tracing bad tracking information provided by those EU carriers.
6) Promotion opportunities for everyone! Our EU clients can now participate in our domestic promotions including Gift Card distribution, free product giveaways, etc. We were hindered from doing these things with the 3rd party facility without the client paying a charge for it.
7) Increasing Freebies! Reducing unnecessary costs allows us to increase the outstanding promotions and product giveaways to our customers.
8) Expanded programs: By eliminating unnecessary admin tasks we can shift our personnel to focus on expanding our flex pay program to more 12 inch figure products and customized payment plans for those many clients who have contacted us with special needs. It also allows us to expand our rewards program, such as with double rewards bonuses as suggested within this thread.

We understand that costs may go up for some clients in the EU and to be realistic the costs were going to increase for all EU clients anyway if we continued with the EU facility. However, we believe that the negotiated rates will make the costs competitive, meaning close or in many instances better for both EU and international clients.

We have provided a page that hopefully will assist all our international customers with calculating their customs and VAT fees on their orders. If you missed my previous posts then here is the link again: https://www.sideshowtoy.com/helpdesk/?p=95. This link has the equations to calculate duty and customs as well as a table of the duty and vat rates per country. If you do not see your country listed then please contact [email protected] and we will add it to the table. You are also encouraged to contact your local customs offices for more information.

If any of our clients like ecekat are experiencing additional delivery charges for delivery services that should have been included in the initial shipping costs, then please contact us ASAP and provide us with a JPG of their FedEx charges (block out your cc info!). We will need this documentation to present it to the carrier and possibly negotiate a Fed Ex credit back for you for any additional shipping expense.

In January of 2010 our Estimated Arrival E-mails for international pre-orders (14 - 21 days prior to item processing) should contain firm ship costs for your item. Keep in mind these will not include VAT/Customs. This information should allow you to decide about the status of your order in plenty of time prior to it processing. If you require an earlier quote, we will estimate your cost on a similar product in size and weight but it will be an estimate only and will be subject to change once the final dimensions are established. Request a quote here: https://www.sideshowtoy.com/helpdesk/?p=134.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions. EU clients can e-mail [email protected] directly or [email protected].

Best,
Chicky

Last edited:
Thankyou again Chicky. Lets step back now and give this a chance to see how it pans out. By the end of January we should have a clear picture.

It really doesn't help when we have people this does not effect coming in with their unhelpful comments.

I've had nothing but first class service from Sideshow. While I am very disappointed by their decision I understand it. It's a pity it was leaked before a proper full announcement could be made.

Thank U very much Chicky. At last an explanation of the whole situation.

I believe the shipment is not safer cos I heard FED-ex workers are opening boxes to check the product and they re-pack it poorly, i heard of somebody returning a statue because of that, moreover the return process to get your fees back is slow. Also the packages travel alone a bigger distance than before when they were shipped on pallets from US to UK and then to our home.

We have explored the USPS option and they unfortunately cannot offer the level of service and competitive shipping prices that FedEx can. Many people think using USPS will save the VAT and custom fees however that usually is only if you doctor the customs paperwork by claiming a gift or lesser SRP, which we cannot do. Perhaps smaller vendors or Ebayers can do that and that is why people assume that Sideshow will be able to do the same.

Sideshow has made great efforts to make our product affordable to the EU community. The EU facility was not owned or directly controlled by Sideshow, which in itself caused numerous problems that our staff has struggled with at great expense, an expense that was not passed on the the EU clients. We absorbed all of the loading costs and import charges assessed just for stocking the EU warehouse that should have been passed onto the EU clients as well but were not. The comments such as the ones above about the 'lack of consideration' Sideshow gives to our EU clients, highlights the misconception many EU collectors have. The other ridiculous, sniping comments won't be addressed but we are embarrassed for those posters.

The escalating internal warehouse issues, unreliable local carriers losing and damaging packages, and their sporadic delivery schedules and practices caused customer complaints, frustration and skyrocketing product and administration costs. These costs would have been passed onto the EU customer in 2010. After sheltering most of the costs that should have been paid by our EU customers, literally since we began using that facility, the increases would have been a shock. Thus, we opted to bring EU shipments back within the control of our own warehouse and use the volume to negotiate special rates not just for the EU but for our other International clients as well.

Why did it take you so long to tell us this?

This decision brings with it many advantages:

1) Faster delivery
3) Better tracking
4) Competitive rates
5) Focused customer service.

1) I don't care about "faster delivery". I got a pre-order on the Legolas PF. So what if it comes two days faster - my order was made 1,5 years before it will be shipped. I can easily wait a few days more.
2) hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ........... I've had one order that needed replacement but you couldn't honor that and had to give me my money back instead.
3) I've had no problems with the trackingnumbers so far, have worked prefectly. Looking forward to see how you can improve something prefect.
4) Wow .......... I might save $5 but FedEx charges me $25 to handle customs. Where's the "competitive rates?
5) Looking forward to this.

6) Promotion opportunities for everyone! Our EU clients can now participate in our domestic promotions including Gift Card distribution, free product giveaways, etc. We were hindered from doing these things with the 3rd party facility without the client paying a charge for it.
7) Increasing Freebies! Reducing unnecessary costs allows us to increase the outstanding promotions and product giveaways to our customers.
8) Expanded programs: By eliminating unnecessary admin tasks we can shift our personnel to focus on expanding our flex pay program to more 12 inch figure products and customized payment plans for those many clients who have contacted us with special needs. It also allows us to expand our rewards program, such as with double rewards bonuses as suggested within this thread.

Personally I don't care about any of the above. I don't need it or use it. I pay cash at one time. I know what I want and don't need any "Promotion opportunities" or "Increasing Freebies". Just delivers great busts, statues, PFF ect - that's what you do great so keep doing it instead of all that "Wallmart added value" stuff.

We understand that costs may go up for some clients in the EU and to be realistic the costs were going to increase for all EU clients anyway if we continued with the EU facility.

Once again: what took you so long to come clean? If you had only said all this in the first announcement I would had understand. It would have been honest, it would have been straight-forward. And it wouldn't have been the first time I've had heard something like that. But instead you tried to sell it to your loyal eu-customers to be a advantage for them which it clearly isn't. You have disapointed me deeply, not for doing what you did but for the way you handle and communicated it :(

The comments such as the ones above about the 'lack of consideration' Sideshow gives to our EU clients, highlights the misconception many EU collectors have. The other ridiculous, sniping comments won't be addressed but we are embarrassed for those posters.

We're pretty embarrassed too. Dave probably moreso than anyone. And it looks like we're to all be continually embarrassed.

What I find ironic is that your above quote can now be repeated on a continuing basis. After every other post would do the trick.

Yeah, I'm not proud of this post, but if I'm going to be embarrassed I may as well be embarrassing, just for the sake of it. :eek:

If I were SS, I wouldn't even bother posting here, because even when they do, they still get criticized and complained at/on. There's no winning.

Unfortunately I can see more and more non EU posters coming on here and posting flaming posts which are not helpful and the thread will disintegrate. Maybe I'll be proved wrong.

Back