'Edge of Tomorrow' - (formerly All You Need Is Kill) - Tom Cruise/Doug Liman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was interested in this by the first picture released. Looked different and I like the mech design whether it's realistic or not. It just looks cool and unique compared to the redundant Batman/Robocop/Iron Man look we see today.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the trailer. I won't watch it! I hate trailers these days. I still need to see Oblivion. I almost blind bought it for $9 on Black Friday but decided I'd just Redbox it.

This looks really interesting. I like the premise. I'm not a fan of the mech design though. But this looks miles better than Oblivion, so I will give it a chance.

I will watch this for sure. Cruise and Sci-Fi is gold. Loved Oblivion. But I still think whoever wrote this watched Source Code too many times.

from groundhog day, to source code...

it went downhill pretty quick as it got stuck with 51st dates.

:lol

With some Alien and Matrix influences thrown in for good measure :)

Colour me interested!!!

So a soldier version of Groundhog Day.

and 51st dates.

100957-Groundhog-Day-BING-gif-Ned-Rye-wN6x.gif

Ya know I wasn't the slightest bit interested in this movie after oblivion (visually great, story wise bland) but the trailer shown with DOFP looked pretty awesome. Might give this a shot when it comes out.

Edit: also for those disappointed in the designs for this its likely that the designers wanted a near future look. The helmet worn is an ops core ballistic helmet which is currently in use by our forces overseas and the exo skeleton is very much in line with the kind being developed by Raytheon and the like.

9-28-10-xos2pushups-1285716656.jpg

Was lucky enough to see this tonight at an advanced screening, here is my review:

Edge of Tomorrow spoiler free review - You've seen the trailer, alien invasion, Tom Cruise is a soldier who goes back in time every time he dies. He teams up with Emily Blunt who teaches him about his new "gift". A good old fashioned action / alien invasion / time travel movie, what's not to like??

I was excited to see this movie from the trailers and from seeing the panels at SDCC and Wondercon (speaking of which Bill Paxton promoted this movie at Wondercon because he is also in it and he was fantastic as well). But it was even better than I had hoped.

So, if you took Groundhog Day, Aliens, The Matrix and put them in a blender, this is what you'd get. Cruise dies over and over again (never the same way twice), some times unintentionally, some times intentionally, but every time goes back in time with more knowledge about the aliens.

As you can imagine, no one believes him except for Blunt and the two of them go back over and over (and over and over and over) trying to convince people to help them to beat the aliens. Before the movie some of us decided that the over/under on how many times Cruise would die was 15. Not. Even. Close.

If you hate Tom Cruise - go see this movie, because you get to see him die repeatedly. Over and over. And over. Again.

Anyway, great story, great pacing, very little down time. Plenty of action as you'd expect, but the big surprise to me was the humor. There were a LOT of funny scenes in this movie, I would have never suspected this amount of humor.

For kids: Language, I'd put this on pace with XMen movies, more language than your usual Marvel movie. One F word although it was quick and not real clear, a few "****" and "*****" and a few "hell" and "damn". But not at all over the top. Plenty of violence but nothing graphic, no limbs torn off or decaptiations. Lots of people getting thrown around, a lot of gunfire, people shooting at the aliens, people blowing up but not graphic.

Definitely will be seeing this one again, 8.5/10 for me.

Back