ebay scammers abound!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkmatter

Super Freak
Reaction score
sold a ss ex thanos and mistress death dio a month ago for $800. the guy had a florida address that was paypal 'unconfirmed', but the page said i am eligible for seller protection and it was OK to ship. looking at the guy's account, it was created in brazil, a KNOWN place for dishonest postal workers and many scammers.

shipped and in florida, it arrived overnight shipping fedex ground. the item was signed for.

a week later the guy messages me and asks for a tracking number. i resent it to him and mentioned the item arrived a week earlier and was signed for. very strange.

yesterday he opened an ebay dispute claiming 'not as described' saying....

i received the thanos and it was extremely damaged upon arrival. he said he had to sell it and only got $400 for it. he then wanted me to refund the $800. i responded saying my coverage ended in florida and did not include the package being forwarded to brazil. he didn't notify me of the damage, he didn't send pictures of the damage, he just sold it and now wants me to refund his money. :slap

the only thing i can think of that may make them rule in his favor is if they say it wasn't shipped to a confirmed address however both ebay and paypal said 'OK To Ship' with the green check mark.

now it's wait and see. :impatient:

always for the full amount. if indeed he did sell the item for $400, ebay should rule in my favor with no problems.

He can't sell it then demand his money back for something he no longer has. If they rule in his favor I wouldn't sell another thing on eBay.

He can't sell it then demand his money back for something he no longer has. If they rule in his favor I wouldn't sell another thing on eBay.

it's getting to be a real thunderdome type of place. i never had a problem, been selling since 2005, and in the last year, i've had three people try to scam me. all were for big ticket items. fortunately i've kept up on what's required to be covered for now. my wife says it's just a matter of time before one goes against me but amazingly i still have 100% feedback. but dealing with scammers can get a negative very easy with no guarantee it can be removed. it's like the wild west!!! :monkey4

Did you use Ebay's new global shipping? I thought it was out of your hands once you shipped to their location and they shipped it overseas?

Did you use Ebay's new global shipping? I thought it was out of your hands once you shipped to their location and they shipped it overseas?

i did not use the global shipping program for two reasons:

1- the item went to boca raton, fl. he then had it forwarded to him in brazil.

2- the global shipping program does not include brazil.

don't wait on the online PayPal system. Call PayPal right now, tell them the situation and they will resolve it for you over the phone. I have had to do this several times and calling is always the best. If you wait for the online investigation, they might not understand and read all the details.

call PayPal, they will resolve it right away.

he opened his case with ebay therefore ebay makes the decisions if it cannot be rectified between us. at this time, he has not escalated the case. once he does, i will be able to explain the entire story. in the interim, my initial correspondence with him has been documented by ebay. this included explaining that my liability does not include him having the item forwarded to brazil, him not contacting me with photos of the damage and him reselling the item, then attempting to get a refund. if indeed his item arrived damaged in florida and was not from the forward to brazil, he could have contacted me and i would have made an insurance claim for the full amount.

i'm pretty hopeful ebay will see through his scam.

That and he didnt take pics of the damage and now the piece is sold, haha I wouldn't worry man, ebay hasn't got that crazy yet

of course... he doesn't have anything close to a case if he has already sold it...

Just keep all your emails from him .... if they are messages he sent through ebay all the better. I had a guy try and scam me on a hawkeye statue I shipped him two weeks ago ...said the mask was damaged. I told him I had it insured but I required him to send it back so I could verify it was in fact the statue I shipped him . . . I put a few hidden "dots" and "lines" on t metal parts that connect to the base/environment ...... when I received the statue back it was pretty busted but was NOT the statue I shipped. There were no marks or dots ....I sent all pics to ebay along with the messages he sent and it was resolved ....the dude actually also left positive feedback.

Good luck with your case

Just keep all your emails from him .... if they are messages he sent through ebay all the better. I had a guy try and scam me on a hawkeye statue I shipped him two weeks ago ...said the mask was damaged. I told him I had it insured but I required him to send it back so I could verify it was in fact the statue I shipped him . . . I put a few hidden "dots" and "lines" on t metal parts that connect to the base/environment ...... when I received the statue back it was pretty busted but was NOT the statue I shipped. There were no marks or dots ....I sent all pics to ebay along with the messages he sent and it was resolved ....the dude actually also left positive feedback.

Good luck with your case

thanks bro. i too do 'marking' to ensure that they are not pulling a bait and switch. i can't believe there are so many scammers out there looking to rip people off.

the guy still has not responded to my initial message. he has a total of 45 days to escalate his claim and that should expire next week. i probably won't hear back from him but you never know. he may wait until the last day or leave negative feedback on the last day.

thanks bro. i too do 'marking' to ensure that they are not pulling a bait and switch. i can't believe there are so many scammers out there looking to rip people off.

the guy still has not responded to my initial message. he has a total of 45 days to escalate his claim and that should expire next week. i probably won't hear back from him but you never know. he may wait until the last day or leave negative feedback on the last day.

If he leaves negative feedback contact Ebay and they can remove it

called ebay today. it was two weeks since i replied to his opening a case with no reply. ebay said that since he sold the item, there is no case and promptly closed it in my favor. the system worked!!!

called ebay today. it was two weeks since i replied to his opening a case with no reply. ebay said that since he sold the item, there is no case and promptly closed it in my favor. the system worked!!!

Awesome news, I hope that guys is crying a bit

Awesome news, I hope that guys is crying a bit

if he indeed got a broken statue, it was fully insured. why he didn't make a claim is anybody's guess? this is what makes me think he was scamming. thanks lips!!

This is exactly why I have pretty much stopped selling anything real valuable or breakable on ebay. I'm very glad this one went your way but like your wife said its only a matter of time. I almost got burned on a $100 item so I can't imagine dealing with an $800 item.... man ebay sucks.

Back