eBay Question: Am I Screwed?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SepticFlesh

Super Freak
Reaction score
Not sure if this belongs here but could not find any other place to put this topic. Anyway I came across a rather expensive figure off of EBay for 2000.00 I sent in a best offer of $1500.00
After a day or so I get an email from the seller telling me that he will accept my offer but only if I agree to take the sale off of EBay. I do not like this at all and not to sound racist but this seller is from out of the Country and can barely type English. So anyway I told him that I do not like that he is asking me to break the law with EBay so I told him I do not agree. He sends me another email saying he will reject my offer unless I accept his terms of...once again...buying this expensive figure outside of EBay. So I say no thanks.
Soon after I managed to find the same figure from someone else off of eBay for roughly the same price and went ahead and purchased it.

Here is the problem... this moron has not declined my offer and will now be demanding that I pay the $1500.00 plus shipping in 2 days after the sale goes through.
Technically I did agree to buy him if he agreed on my offer... but again him emailing me telling me he will only accept the offer if we take the sale off of eBay and then he said he would cancel my offer after telling him no, but he did not cancel...it sounds as if I may have a good case here.

I am screwed and do not have the money. I tried calling eBay and they never answer. Am I screwed? I mean the seller suggested breaking the law so is there anyway I can dispute this and prove he was trying to break Ebay'er rules? I still have all his emails saved up.

If I end up having to pay for this figure I am screwed in so many ways. I hate EBay.

Last edited:
I bought something from ebay recently but off ebay. I know ebay fees are really high. So that may be why he's offering to sell off ebay. In my purchase it was only $135. $1500 is alot riskier. I know you have 45 day to dispute it but if it was me I wouldn't go through with so much money at stake. I hope I helped a little.

I bought something from ebay recently but off ebay. I know ebay fees are really high. So that may be why he's offering to sell off ebay. In my purchase it was only $135. $1500 is alot riskier. I know you have 45 day to dispute it but if it was me I wouldn't go through with so much money at stake. I hope I helped a little.

Yes I do get what you are saying. I guess I will be putting the other one for sale immediately to get my money back because like I said I do not have the money but I can manage to get it.
This is really my fault...I should have waited until I saw that my offer was denied before purchasing from someone else so I guess I'll just have to go through with it. I don't think it will be hard to resell this figure for what I paid.
This is the first time anyone asked me to do a sale outside of EBay so it really threw me off...that and the heavy broken English I was positive it was a scam. Lesson learned.

I believe the offer has to be accepted within 48 hours so it might have already expired. Check his feedback scores and history. Has he ever sold a figure this expensive? Is he on any of the forums? You can also cross reference reputation that way. Personally I'd take a negative if I thought someone was being squirrely.

If the seller files a non-payer case to you, just forward the emails he sent you to ebay and you should be fine. Ebay sides with the buyers 99% of the time anyway. Plus sellers can't leave you anything but positive feedback anymore. If you were the seller I'd say you are screwed, but as the buyer you're just fine.

If you don't want to do it. I'm sure you could contact ebay. I'm pretty sure they dislike people going around them on sells. I just hate seeing people get screwed. In my case the guy lives in Cali so if its not here soon I'll file a claim and get my $135 back. If its from another country shipping can take a little while and they could use it against you. I'm no expert here just trying to help.

Guyz/Galz,lol...right like there are plenty of Galz here;) Well...it looks like I got lucky and it was simple. I was using my IPhone for using EBay and did not realize how many features were left out when using my IPhone when I logged in using my home PC.
All I had to do was a simple "Retract Best Offer" and the reason I picked off the list was "Seller changed the item's Description" which is kinda true he never mentioned anything about selling the figure off of EBay in the Description...the seller still had 27 hours to either accept or retract my offer but he made it sound like I had to pay it now but technically he did not accept it yet; anotherwords I was bullied and he made it sound like he had already accepted the offer which he had not...so because of that I was able to simply retract my best offer...easy. :)
So now I am not obligated to pay the $1500.00 plus shipping and now only have to pay for the one I ordered afterwards. Yes a nice breath of fresh air has entered my lungs. :cool:

Another lesson learned...when ordering rather expensive items off of eBay it is better to use a nice computer as opposed to an IPhone...the IPhone leaves out so many features for one to use on EBay that are important.

Last edited:
Glad things went your way. You should still report this seller for what he tried to do. EBay takes the "dealing outside of EBay" stuff seriously.

Absolutely.

Report this seller to eBay. It's sellers like him that ruin it for good sellers.

Agreed!

I've been selling on EBay for years and guys like that ruin it for everyone else!

As far as contacting eBay, it's hard to believe they didn't answer when you called. I've called them on numerous occasions and the most I've waited was about 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Back