Dying clothes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwayne

Super Freak
Reaction score
Now that I am getting an awesome FML Joker head, I need to play dress up. I was looking at the Legacy Dalton Bond. How difficult would it be to dye his tux black? Or does anyone have a suggestion for clothes. I want this joker to be in a black tux with tails.

I'm also looking to do some dying... except I want to dye some brown Newline boots black. Being that they're leather I would think some fabric dye would work... but I've never dyed leather before.

Leather will shrink a little, but there are some rub on dyes that will work better.
The dye job depends greatly on what kind of fabric the suit is made of. If its cotton, or mostly cotton you have a great chance. If its polyester, you have an uphill battle.
Whatever you do, make sure you wash the clothes first and make sure its thoroughly wet before you put it in the dye bath or it won't set evenly.
Also, check it for color fastness when its done or it will come off on whatever shirt is underneath and possibly the figure itself.

I've had great luck with dying plastics in a boiling bath of Rit dye. Not sure if that would work the same way on synthetic fabrics.

On the subject of rub-on dyes, anything you'd suggest for leather? Since we're dealing with Newline boots a little shrinkage is no big deal. I guess I'd have to deal with the stiffness though, have to re-break the leather.

For the boots, I would think that it would be easier to buy a pair of black leather boots instead of dying them.

On a personal note, I found a Silver Screen Phantom of the Opera for my Joker. No need for a dye-job now.

For the boots, I would think that it would be easier to buy a pair of black leather boots instead of dying them.

On a personal note, I found a Silver Screen Phantom of the Opera for my Joker. No need for a dye-job now.

Well the issue is the particular pair I want only exist in brown leather. I'm trying to get a pair of leather boots to replace the rubber ones on my Sideshow Spike. He wears a particular style of WWII combat boots that have a built in buckle gaiter. Newline makes a pair of them but only in brown. I suspose to could just go with the normal black jump boots but I'd prefer to be as accurate as possible.

I was just going to suggest the Phantom... did so in another thread. His suit is pretty complete, especially if you want it black -- got your shirt, vest, tie, pants and jacket.

If you change your mind and decide to use dye -- for example, to dye the black suit purple -- Rit dye works very well. You could dye the black suit in purple just to give it that hint in the light... or bleach the suit a lighter shade and dye it a deep purple.

Dying clothing parts is very easy, I do it all the time. The only trick is imagining how the colors will mix so you can get the correct shade.

You're gonna want to talk to Wor-Gar and DarkArtist81, they are the experts. :rock

Thanks for the nod, Jedi!!! Being mentioned in a category along with Josh is pretty damn cool. :)

Re, Spikes boots, in the UK you can purchase leather sprays in many colours that you can colour leather with. I imagine that they have the same sort of thing over where you are.

Failing that how about watered down acrylics? They might work okay.

I was wondering. What color could I use to dye (if at all) Kit Fisto's tunic to match the color Obi-Wan has in ROTS? It's a nicer material and looks better on him.

I was wondering. What color could I use to dye (if at all) Kit Fisto's tunic to match the color Obi-Wan has in ROTS? It's a nicer material and looks better on him.

Swap out Plo's tunic for Kit's. Plo is more accurate with the reddish tunic anyway, as is Kit with the tan tunic.

I think Sachiel might be trying to say he wants Obi-wan to use Kit's tunic if he can dye it right. You would need to bleach it first and then dye it with a lighter color of your choice.

I would consider using RIT Color Remover since it is specifically designed to remove dye from fabric. Bleach can be harsh on some fabrics. Then I would consider using a very little amount of Tan or Taupe (if you're going for that dingy beige look) to dye the fabric once all the original salmon color is removed. Remember to start with small amounts of dye, because its easier to keep dying it than having to lighten it up and start over again.

Back