Dune Part Two (October 20th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's probably already been mentioned but I was surprised there was no Space Guild at all, not even mentioned which is shocking since the whole reason why the spice is harvested is for the guild and so the pilot's have the ability to fold space and time for space travel.

It's probably already been mentioned but I was surprised there was no Space Guild at all, not even mentioned which is shocking since the whole reason why the spice is harvested is for the guild and so the pilot's have the ability to fold space and time for space travel.
Look the whole Dune story is weird they defeated AI and then resorted to using hallucinogens instead to do the work that AI could’ve done in the first place!

Now they need their poppy crops to fold space wtf lol

I finally saw this yesterday. I quite enjoyed it for the most part, but I agree that the finale seemed rather rushed and left me wanting more. I think a little less time spent on Irulan's journal entries and more spent on the final battle was warranted. Someone else mentioned that David Lynch's finale was more satisfying than this one and I've got to agree.

I also agree that this should have been R rated, or at the very least show some blood being spilled. The Fremen are fierce, lethal warriors and yet every kill seemed so....sanitary.

It's been ages since I read the books, but the other thing that felt off to me was the passage of time - or rather the lack of it. IIRC several years passed between Paul & Jessica's joining up with the Fremen and that final battle against the Harkonnen troops & the Emperor's Sardaukar. During that passage of time Paul & Chani had a kid and Paul's sister Alia was born (& rapidly matured). And Alia was the one who killed Baron H - assassinating him with a gom jabbar after letting herself get kidnapped.
Yes, I was surprised at how much got left out. So much information left on the table. Austin Butler as Feyd Rautha... fantastic. I could see him playing Victor Zsasz in a Batman movie.

I think that having read the book has definitely made it harder for me to appreciate these films. In the book Chani was very likable and one of my favorite characters.

I'm assuming that Denis changed her so that she could be constantly calling out the "white savior" trope which is only an issue because he decided to make all the Fremen black or brown in the first place (and also not from the book.)

There were some white Fremen in this one. They were just very tan or in the background...like really far away. :lol

There were some white Fremen in this one. They were just very tan or in the background...like really far away. :lol
I am a white half arab afterall It’s just that damn pesky white portugese blood diluting my jihadiness lol

Last edited:
This. A 10 minute "learn to ride a worm" sequence and they pay it off with 5 minutes of worms attacking the base? It looked spectacular but was way too short. Cameron would have never made such an error. Even Lynch's finale was more satisfying.

Not a fan of the Chani ending. For anyone who doesn't know the book they're left to assume that Paul literally goes off to be a legit husband to the princess. Very strange decision on Denis' part.
Probably cause you spent two movies with her.

I don’t know the book but I’m guessing for the movie he comes back to find her… gotta put the ladies in the seats. lol

What kind of movie has so many people praising it, yet it short changes you on a climax?

Never short change a climax.

Morpheus to Denis: No one can explain to you what a climax is. You have to experience it for yourself.

bring-it-are-you-ready.gif
Even with the shorter action climax it’s worth the time imo

It’s good entertainment if nothing else. Movies tend to use books as basic guidelines but rarely do they follow closely to the original story. Some things don’t transfer over very well and other things left out completely with no reference to them. Still, overall, and, in today’s world of really bad films, it shines as one of the better ones. We could nitpick it to death over why it doesn’t, what is has and what it could have been. At face value it was still fun to watch and a great escape from our planet earth at least for the time sitting there watching it. How amazing was the segment where Paul calls a grandfather worm the likes never seen before!?! It lifted you up right there in your seat! I applaud the effort made, the actors abilities and the fact that someone was willing to take on such a challenge to make a movie of this caliber. They don’t come around too often. I’ve been twice and thoroughly enjoyed the movie both times. My gratitude to everyone involved.

They’re in the first movie.

Its weird that the 1980s Dune was all like LOOK AT OUR GUILD STEERSMAN first thing, these beings that have not been sighted in thousands of years by non-Guildsmen - and boom there they are during the first five minutes! This should have been a slow reveal, we could see the ones with mild mutations first. The Guild shows up and they're real arrogant. Ok, that tracks.

In these movies its like WHAT GUILD? other than the brief glimpse of them we got. I'm all for making them more mysterious, but dang.

In other news, what in the bloody hell was that spider thing?!

You think? The Baron told Yueh she was dead. Would it not have been more sadistic to show her to Yueh before he died? Seems like the Baron would want to torment him one last time with this knowledge.

I'm thinking the Tleilaxu have been up to their usual shenanigans.

Back