Dune Part Two (October 20th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of... "favourite"... ?

44aacd5174952f02a371061fbba921bc3bf9da4d.gifv

tumblr_lmsqy5LQfR1qbq46co1_500.gifv

tumblr_mrf6tjaV801rwm836o1_500.gif

It's not that I dislike Pugh, she's just... pudgy. Wrong for the role. I hope they don't attempt to go further than Messiah, because Leto II and Ghanima will be a ***** to cast. I don't even know how they'll solve the Alia problem in DUNC.
I guess after the first movie I'm not holding my breath that they'll nail the look of any future characters. I mean it's pretty much a guarantee at this point that if Feyd Rautha even appears he'll look like another dumb bald pale Harkonnen instead of Paul's evil twin.

Anime is a thing you watch as a teen and grow a tolerance to. It's autistic and ridiculous, but underneath it there's a sincerity, even if it's shrouded in lots of hamfisted exposition, that's not found in much media.
I watched Robotech as a kid (the Americanized version of Macross or whatever it was originally called), enjoyed the ideas behind Ghost In The Shell and Appleseed (even read the Manga) but it all stops there. Anything else I tried to get into just left me cold. None of that is anything I'd revisit either. But I guess like anything, if it hooked you in childhood ...

She's also supposed to embody otherworldly beauty... If Hollywood can only cast the current "it" girl and has run ouf of ideas that much, then at least go for Anya. She looks "otherworldly" at least...

GettyImages-1207197882.jpg
One of the first contemporary actors that came to mind.
Ooh, I agree, Anya would definitely be a better choice.
I'd have to concur... Anya is perfect.
We have a consensus. Somebody call Villeneuve posthaste.

Black Widow
Hawkeye
Little Women
Fighting with my Family
Instagram
She will be in Oppenheimer

I would prefer another actress ok?
And you actually saw all those movies? Pretty much any actor who actually makes a living in the profession will have regular work. :dunno

I thought you were complaining all the big roles were defaulting to her and one other person as if her face was everywhere. Sure Marvel junkies have seen a lot of her in the last year but that doesn't mean that she can readily be seen everywhere else.

lector-hannibal.gif

I guess after the first movie I'm not holding my breath that they'll nail the look of any future characters. I mean it's pretty much a guarantee at this point that if Feyd Rautha even appears he'll look like another dumb bald pale Harkonnen instead of Paul's evil twin.
Hm, I can see your point then. It's why I'm pissed the red hair connection has been lost in the Harkonnen/Jessica/Chani thing. Dennis just can't into Lucas POTTERY.

I watched Robotech as a kid (the Americanized version of Macross or whatever it was originally called), enjoyed the ideas behind Ghost In The Shell and Appleseed (even read the Manga) but it all stops there. Anything else I tried to get into just left me cold. None of that is anything I'd revisit either. But I guess like anything, if it hooked you in childhood ...
I didn't like anime in my childhood either. DBZ and Naruto were the biggest ones, but I never much took to them. Pokemon was fun though. I got into it in my teens, with Eva. It's definitely an acquired taste, but the main draw of it is that it's unapologetically genuine. Sometimes that means you're dealing with cringy or pretentious garbage, but everything is treated with "respect". None of that "lmao, this is soooooo wacky and stupid, *winkwink* but, it's, like, kinda kewl, right fellow kidz?" type of thing that exists in modern media.

There's honestly a lot of anime out there. Something like Serial Experiments Lain is more akin to a proper Western Drama than it is to a cartoon. But then you have things like Monster, which is an anime trying to be a Western Police/Detective Drama and just being an overlong product that never comes together. Or something like Texhnolyze which is just... weird. Point is, not everything has the same Japanese cultural "tone", so to speak. There are more accessible things out there. It's why lots of people start with Cowboy Bebop or the such.

Me, I like bits and pieces. A series here, a series there. I'm not into it to the point where I look for new things constantly. The concept has to interest, and so must the one. Too ridiculous and I can't take to it either. But there are some that just appeal to me. It's a case by case thing, is what I'm getting at.

As for Dune, it'd be more watered down, but an anime adaptation could work simply because it'd give the setting its operatic and larger-than-life feel. Western Animation is still mostly stuck in the "kiddie nonsense" or "lmao, it's got dick jokes!!!111" phase, so it couldn't be translated there. And films have budget limitations. Anime Dune would be a spectacle, even if it could end up very weird.

gank-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

This for example is supposed to be a Sci-Fi take on The Count Of Monte Cristo. So it's either for you or not, that's how it goes with most anime and manga.

I don't know if Dune should go full-on WH40K over-the-top aesthetics. But I think it needs that scale, you know?

27d4e1b70a31e1cdd9dbd829bad5d32cda9bd0d1dc7c4997e4d3f1ceb9eec550e0589895bd27e4ee_rw_1920.jpg

Anime just does great at that stuff. Which is why a lot of people who are, say, SW fans, prefer the EU with its vast locales and its lack of real restraints, in contrast with the movies which are much more "compact". A lot feel like SW could be an excellent anime too. I myself am honestly tired trying to keep up with it all, so I'll probably be reverting to my EU canon, and buying whatever dolly they make of their new butchered EU copy. I still pretend Kylo is just Jacen... My Luke's a Chad married to a hot redhead. Lucas and Kathleen be damned, I'm staying with my fun EU...

Anyway, I'm retreading similar ground here. DUNC's too sterile, and even if someone else made it, there'd still be budgetery problems to truly make it a proper Space Opera. As it stands it's too Star Trek-y for my tastes. Dune, 40K, Wars, the scope's so big sometimes that only things like animation, videogames or comics can truly make them "come alive" (beyond the printed word that is).

Back