Duel of fates Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12.jpg

I can't believe Sideshow used the same sculpt the face tatoo in tactic that they used on the PF Maul??

I'm glad they do. For $300+ pieces, I'd rather that and the tatoos come out in perfect pattern than sporatic and uneven like the 1/6 figures, which no company can paint the tattoos on uniformly.

I'm glad they do. For $300+ pieces, I'd rather that and the tatoos come out in perfect pattern than sporatic and uneven like the 1/6 figures, which no company can paint the tattoos on uniformly.

Their artists and factory/warehouse workers should be skilled enough to make the tatoos look good without sculpting it in.This is high end art,not flea market pottery!

Their artists and factory/warehouse workers should be skilled enough to make the tatoos look good without sculpting it in.This is high end art,not flea market pottery!

Well Medicom's artists weren't skiled enough either. I've got 2 high end Maul figures with inconsistent paint apps, one more forgiveable for it's price, but either way, on figures it can be accepted. Since it's impossible for hand painters to roll out that many units and keep his tattoos consistent, I'd rather a little beveling for the tats to get the design right than to have sloppy paint on a such pricey pieces.

Great pictures! Sideshow really has nailed every vs. dio so far. And the sculpts? Just amazing!:clap

Indeed, I could actually be happy with the Obi-Wan as a solo statue, it's a nice looking pose and he's just very well crafted.

Incase anyone's wondering, while I'm thinking of it, his long braid is made of a soft material not polystone, but his ponytail is polystone, so be gentle with it.

Well Medicom's artists weren't skilled enough either. I've got 2 high end Maul figures with inconsistent paint apps, one more forgiveable for it's price, but either way, on figures it can be accepted. Since it's impossible for hand painters to roll out that many units and keep his tattoos consistent, I'd rather a little beveling for the tats to get the design right than to have sloppy paint on a such pricey pieces.

Uhh..I didn't even mention Medicom? I don't know why you would even bring that in to this? And since you did bring it up,Medicom made more than 1200 of their figure's,it seemed possible for them,and as for your Maul,I never noticed anything but perfection in the Medi sculpt.You must have had an islolated incident.

That said,still like this dio,just not $300 like.The eyes look great,but as I said earlier,the sculpted tatoos take away from this piece IMO.

Uhh..I didn't even mention Medicom? I don't know why you would even bring that in to this? And since you did bring it up,Medicom made more than 1200 of their figure's,it seemed possible for them,and as for your Maul,I never noticed anything but perfection in the Medi sculpt.You must have had an islolated incident.

I'm bringing Medicom in to raise the point that I've not seen any company hand paint Maul's tattoos and get them aligned, sized and shaped correctly without use of beveling to make it become like a color by numbers. Medi Maul is flawed, his nose taints aren't solid and semi crooked and such, I've seen others have uneven lines. Again, in a figure for $150 or less, it's liveable, but when I invest over $200 in a piece, I'd rather a minorly noticeable bevel to allow the painters to really nail the style of his tattoos than to let them do it free hand and have problems. A mispainted figure can be bothersome, a mispainted, pricey piece leaves a bad taste in the mouth so to speak.

Ya know from a distance that most people look at these you can't tell they're sculpted at all. It wasn't a big deal on the PF and isn't on this. Personally, I think if this bothers you then you just might be a touch too anal about things.

Doily of the Fates :lol Cool Josh, your table lamp highlights on Maul add a nice lighting touch to the full piece images.

Doily of the Fates :lol Cool Josh, your table lamp highlights on Maul add a nice lighting touch to the full piece images.

Thank ya sir! I try to add my touches when I can. Not too bad for nearly 7pm when shooting. Not the best time of day but they came out nicely I suppose.

It's interesting how these portraits are quite small and yet have superior likeness to the 1/6 counterparts.

I never noticed the PF Maul has his tattoo was sculpted on, I'm sitting about three feet from it right now and can't tell either so I'm sure it's hardly noticeable on other smaller figures.

Those are indeed beautiful shots. This is the angle I intend to display mine to be seen (at least until I figure out a way to have it viewable from all sides).

IMG_7916.jpg

Ya know from a distance that most people look at these you can't tell they're sculpted at all. It wasn't a big deal on the PF and isn't on this. Personally, I think if this bothers you then you just might be a touch too anal about things.

Ya think? :D

This thing looks amazing. I still have no idea where the hell I'm gonna put it, but I will pick it up down the line when I can find a deal on it.

My only complaint are the paint apps on Qui-Gon. It looks like he was sent the the Gentle Giant factory to get painted

In my opinion, Qui-Gon is there more for function than anything. The highlight of the diorama is Obi-Wan, Maul's cool for his pose and you can't see the means of support for him, and Qui-Gon's there for balance of the overall composition and as a support for Maul. As far as poses, I like the DOTF dio best, but overall, Obi-Wan vs. Anakin is my favorite still.

Back