DST: Lord of the Rings 6? action figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That just about sums up Diamond Select releases: making figures which are decent yet still worse than their 10 year old counterparts.

They are a strange company for sure. These have my interest enough to pick them up but I’m mostly in for Sauron. Just hoping these continue long enough to complete him at least.

Still light years ahead of Bridge Select. But I wish these figures were at least as good as the prototypes.

The change in articulation is a bit more of a bait and switch than most ‘product may vary’ changes. Very disappointing in that regard.

Agreed. This bait and switch trick is becoming too common and not just with these figures. Hopefully more collectors catch on and force companies to stick with the quality we were first shown.

If it was a cost thing, they easily could have broken Sauron up into more pieces. Or included less of them. They never specified what Sauron pieces would be included with these two.

Shame that the Legolas and Gimli don't come with the Elven cloaks.
SDCC Exclusive?
lolololol

Moria Orc looks great.
I never picked up the Toybiz one back in the day.

Wow I can’t believe they removed the Fellowship cloaks from Gimli and Legolas and Legolas doesn’t even have his knives.

I bought the figures. Overall for lower end figures I think they are pretty good. I will probably never understand/agree with cutting Legolas’ knives though. The cloaks I can understand. Legolas has his pre Lothlorien bow so if he did come with the cloak someone probably would have complained about the bow. Also since they are releasing Gandalf the Grey and if you are planning on displaying them together you wouldn’t need the cloaks either. Don’t get me wrong I would rather have had cloaks but I am more willing to cut them slack on cutting the cloaks than the knives.

I have them displayed on my bookshelf right now. Hopefully they make the entire fellowship but I could also see this line dying before then.

Well all that sounds pretty sucky. I think I should just cut these, maybe keep just Gimli to go with Mythic Legions or something.

Wave 4 up for preorder. Includes GTG and Uruk Hai. Just compare the Asmus one (I know twice as much) to this attempt by Diamond Select. 2F923017-C64F-41DB-8B08-A99CBEA167F2.jpegEC7FBA40-F45B-4F42-906E-7E8E50BB8F2E.jpegA886CD9F-9BC3-43D0-8BD7-C49C564520ED.jpeg

I feel the same way. The Moria goblins look best so far and maybe Ringwraiths.

I want to love these but I can't. I don't like DST's approach to, well anything really. Not even including Legolas' daggers is so weird, how are they cutting so many costs at wave one already? I wish another company took a stab at middle earth. I want to see someone with the stones to get all of Thorin's company out there.

I want to love these but I can't. I don't like DST's approach to, well anything really. Not even including Legolas' daggers is so weird, how are they cutting so many costs at wave one already? I wish another company took a stab at middle earth. I want to see someone with the stones to get all of Thorin's company out there.

Ive never owned anything from Diamond Select. Is there quality usually lower than say Hasbro or McFarlane?

Ive never owned anything from Diamond Select. Is there quality usually lower than say Hasbro or McFarlane?

I wouldn't say the quality is lower generally, but they make kind of archaic figures these days. Hasbro (who have their faults of course) by contrast are using face printing tech and more elaborate articulation, so you're getting better likenesses and they move better. I find the paintwork is normally not perfect on the prototype and then worse again on the retail versions. Their articulation never seems as useful as it should, and they have scaled back on it in this line so far which is always a bummer. I also have a preference for the 6 inch sized figure over 7, so that hurts them too.

If I compare what they put out as of right now, there's a ToyBiz counterpart that's better. Which, as Henz said, basically shows how ahead ToyBiz was and how behind Diamond is. Which is odd, because sometimes something great slips through with them. But generally, expect a figure that feels like it was from 10 years ago.

Back