Doctor Who K-9 commission- Chris Howes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys new here and was wondering if I show pics of my custom Police Box would that be acceptable and if so all I need to do is learn how to post.Sorry this is probably the wrong place to put this message.
But I have been lookin at the posts and would be Interested. And was wondering are there any pics of Chris's Tom sculpt
Hey Inkeddalek!

Welcome! Tom Baker sculpt hasn't happened yet. I'm working on Elizabeth Sladen AKA Sarah Jane Smith first (she's in progress) and Tom will start shortly. I hope to finish them together. The K-9. Just sort of doing the ground work right now, making plans.

We'd love to see your stuff. You can certainly post it here, but what might work best is for you to create a thread for your work. That way folks are more likely to find it, you can give it an appropriate title. It might get lost in the posts in this thread since it's specifically for the K-9 group commission.

Just navigate to the right forum, Custom Discussion and click on the "New Thread" link at the top.

Looking forward to seeing your Box! :D

hmmmm, so I'm partly interested I guess, but it really would depend on what the final product looks like (painted, since I couldn't paint it myself) and in a way the light version could be very interesting. Its really just going to depend on timing, what else is being released around the time, what our dollar exchange rate is, etc.

I am a pretty big Doctor Who fan (trust me, you have no idea), but I'm just not into the 12" figures, hence I've giving all them a pass, I'm a polystone only type of person.

I have the Weta Dalek, will most likely get the Weta 4th Doc and Davros and in theory a 1/6th scale K9 should fit in at being the same size. So really the quality would have to be there, in other words you can put it next to the Weta Dalek and not think that K9 just looks like some half arsed cheap bit of clay with a sloppy paint job.

hmmmm, so I'm partly interested I guess, but it really would depend on what the final product looks like (painted, since I couldn't paint it myself) and in a way the light version could be very interesting. Its really just going to depend on timing, what else is being released around the time, what our dollar exchange rate is, etc.

I am a pretty big Doctor Who fan (trust me, you have no idea), but I'm just not into the 12" figures, hence I've giving all them a pass, I'm a polystone only type of person.

I have the Weta Dalek, will most likely get the Weta 4th Doc and Davros and in theory a 1/6th scale K9 should fit in at being the same size. So really the quality would have to be there, in other words you can put it next to the Weta Dalek and not think that K9 just looks like some half arsed cheap bit of clay with a sloppy paint job.

Check out my website, CHowes.com and my Figures.com interview. No maker of "half arsed cheap bit of clay with a sloppy paint job" am I! :D Been a Pro Toy designer and sculptor for nigh on to 20 years. Worked on some of the most prominent lines from Star Wars to Star Trek, Austin Powers to ID4, Ren and Stimpy to Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. Did some work at Skywalker Ranch. I had the chutzpah to turn down the offer of a job overseeing the Star Wars, Aliens, and Batman lines at Kenner/Hasbro Toy Group. ( And, as it turned out, this was a wise decision, soon after they closed Kenner and moved operations from Cincinnati to Pawtucket, RI, and I don't like to move! :naughty) My stuff has been in the movies and on TV.....

So! I guess what all that egotistical boasting boils down to is this: I intend to make this the finest K-9 you are likely to ever see. I NEVER skimp on quality. Period. Cross my heart and hope to die.... (Well, OK, I don't really hope to die. Nor do I want to do that "stick a needle in my eye" thing! :google Who comes up with such a creepy idiom, anyway?)

Rest assured you'll be able to put it up against anyone's product and it will compare very favorably. In fact, Since I will be hand casting, assembling, and finishing, I will achieve a finished quality not possible in mass produced product. The trade off, of course, is that I can only make so many, and it takes time. At the Chinese factory where we manufacture CelebriDucks we can manufacture 250,000 units of product, cast, painted, and packaged in the time it takes me to create 5 models like K-9 by hand.

So, welcome aboard! I hope you'll like what I come up with. :D

With such impressive credentials I think a little egotistical boasting can be allowed!
I'm really excited to see how the various Doctor Who projects turn out and whilst it's probably getting a bit ahead of things I suggest the next "big" project after K9 should be a true 1:6 scale Dalek with a sound module that has dialogue from "Genesis of the Daleks".

Last edited:
Hey Chris, would it be possible to get one of the light-up vrsions rigged so it ran off household current rather than batteries? The centerpiece of my 1/6 Dr. who shelf is a custom Tardis that plugs into the wall, lights up on a timer (I prefer that to messing wtih batteries). Would be cool to have K9 light up automatically also. I'm thinking a discrete cord running off the non-display side?

(Thread on my tardis build here: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32361&highlight=tardis

Inspired by djedi's idea I've also added a Doctor Detector which, because I am crazy, has actual liquid inside and is rigged up to a fish pump to create bubbles. Pictures to come on that...)

With such impressive credentials I think a little egotistical boasting can be allowed!
I'm really excited to see how the various Doctor Who projects turn out and whilst it's probably getting a bit ahead of things I suggest the next "big" project after K9 should be a true 1:6 scale Dalek with a sound module that has dialogue from "Genesis of the Daleks".

Actually, I hate to boast. Makes me uncomfortable as hell. But I want to convey the quality I'm trying to bring to the custom world. I saw some sub-par work being sold on eBay about 6 months ago being sold for WAY too much money and that made my mind up to get involved.

I have to say, it's been loads of fun! I get to do high quality work with no one to answer to except the people who actually count and give a damn... you guys!

A Dalek is definitely a good idea, and yes, MUST have a sound module. The question is, which Dalek design? But that's down the road....

Hey Chris, would it be possible to get one of the light-up vrsions rigged so it ran off household current rather than batteries? The centerpiece of my 1/6 Dr. who shelf is a custom Tardis that plugs into the wall, lights up on a timer (I prefer that to messing wtih batteries). Would be cool to have K9 light up automatically also. I'm thinking a discrete cord running off the non-display side?

(Thread on my tardis build here: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32361&highlight=tardis

Inspired by djedi's idea I've also added a Doctor Detector which, because I am crazy, has actual liquid inside and is rigged up to a fish pump to create bubbles. Pictures to come on that...)

Really cool! Nice setup.:D

Sure, K-9 can run off a DC "cube" power supply. Sound module needs about 5v and LEDs need about 3v but should be OK at 5v. I can pick up a multi voltage power supply for about $10.00 (last time I checked.) Rather than have him hard-wired to the supply I could put a discreet socket on the side to plug the supply into. Hmmmmm. I ended that sentence with a preposition...... What would my 6th grade English teacher say?

K-9 would make a great addition! :rolleyes:

Actually, I hate to boast. Makes me uncomfortable as hell. But I want to convey the quality I'm trying to bring to the custom world. I saw some sub-par work being sold on eBay about 6 months ago being sold for WAY too much money and that made my mind up to get involved.

OK, I'm suitable impressed :D and I can see you understand my position, I've seen some of those ebay, website and even in-store items that would almost look better smashed. If its not a total lack of detail and sharpness in the sculpt (which also doesn't look like the original its based on), then the paint apps look like a 5 year old did it.

And lets face it, K9 doesn't have a great deal of detail, large areas of flat panels, etc so the paint would also need to be very 'sharp' with maybe a little bit of ware in the right spots for it too look good.

So, yes, very interested and looking forward to some final 'prototypes' and taking a bit of time doesn't matter too much, give the economy a chance to maybe recover a bit.

As for 'future' projects, I'm more then happy with my Weta Dalek, so that's all good, from a Doctor Who point of view, if Weta don't continue, my major want would be a full Sarah Jane Smith statue, classic episodes.
Then of course there's that whole massive "Firefly" statue desire, but that's a whole other thread.

OK, I'm suitable impressed :D and I can see you understand my position, I've seen some of those ebay, website and even in-store items that would almost look better smashed. If its not a total lack of detail and sharpness in the sculpt (which also doesn't look like the original its based on), then the paint apps look like a 5 year old did it.

And lets face it, K9 doesn't have a great deal of detail, large areas of flat panels, etc so the paint would also need to be very 'sharp' with maybe a little bit of ware in the right spots for it too look good.

So, yes, very interested and looking forward to some final 'prototypes' and taking a bit of time doesn't matter too much, give the economy a chance to maybe recover a bit.

As for 'future' projects, I'm more then happy with my Weta Dalek, so that's all good, from a Doctor Who point of view, if Weta don't continue, my major want would be a full Sarah Jane Smith statue, classic episodes.
Then of course there's that whole massive "Firefly" statue desire, but that's a whole other thread.

I want to experiment with pigmenting the resin, maybe with a little mica powder for that slight metallic look along with some airbrush weathering and hand painted accents. The integral pigmentation should push the realism a bit. It'll take some trial and error to get right. I may see if my buddy Kuato can help me find just the right look if he has time. I'm afraid I'm going to overwhelm him with all these other heads I'm doing!

I'm already working on a classic Sarah Jane Smith head. You know, someone could always commission a full body sculpt to go with the head..... I'm just sayin'....:rolleyes:

I want to experiment with pigmenting the resin, maybe with a little mica powder for that slight metallic look along with some airbrush weathering and hand painted accents. The integral pigmentation should push the realism a bit. It'll take some trial and error to get right. I may see if my buddy Kuato can help me find just the right look if he has time. I'm afraid I'm going to overwhelm him with all these other heads I'm doing!

I'm already working on a classic Sarah Jane Smith head. You know, someone could always commission a full body sculpt to go with the head..... I'm just sayin'....:rolleyes:

That pigmenting the resin sounds very interesting and if works I guess could leed itself to other uses, swords come to mind for some statues for example. In theory one could experiment with a simple flat box just to see how various amounts, etc come out. Like I said, its all sounding very interesting and I may even have a friend that could be interested, helping to cut shipping costs on a combined postage.

As for a full Sarah Jane, would it even be possible to make a head that would then also work in a nice full body pose without it looking rather static and stiff. May have to think about it, just not sure there would be enough interest to make it cost effective on a per statue basis.
Plus, seriously, as much as I love Doctor Who, if I was going to consider a full statue commission, there is something else way higher up on my want list, but that would be another discussion.

I have to say, it's been loads of fun! I get to do high quality work with no one to answer to except the people who actually count and give a damn... you guys!

A Dalek is definitely a good idea, and yes, MUST have a sound module. The question is, which Dalek design? But that's down the road....

I see your point but after looking at your work it's clear you have the skills to back it up which isn't the case with some of the stuff that appears on ebay.

I think the level of input that is possible from projects like these is a major benefit over official releases as quite often collectors can be subjected to all kinds of BS like a figure lacking some detail due to a person at the company who's making it not personally liking it or the licensors insisting on "idealised" versions of characters as opposed to screen accuracy.

One thing I'd like to know is how careful do you have to be when doing projects like these which are of copyrighted characters?

One thing I'd like to know is how careful do you have to be when doing projects like these which are of copyrighted characters?

Being hand crafted, hand replicated endeavors we are never going to reach the kind of numbers that would actually threaten the big wigs or Powers-That-Be. These commission runs are all just small potatoes to them, made to order as someone pays for them. I think if they were factory produced and available on store shelves, then it would be a BIG problem.

Being hand crafted, hand replicated endeavors we are never going to reach the kind of numbers that would actually threaten the big wigs or Powers-That-Be. These commission runs are all just small potatoes to them, made to order as someone pays for them. I think if they were factory produced and available on store shelves, then it would be a BIG problem.

So as long as K9's sound module doesn't say anything rude about a current Doctor Who licensee and they get to hear about it we're OK :naughty

wow, I actually inspired someone :D
I have to say though that it was primarily YOUR TARDIS buildup that inspired me to build my own.
I built a roughly 1/6th K9 and while mine is a bit wonky looking, it might give a good feel for the size. I always imagined K9 to be a bit smaller than he is.
Please note that my K9 was built by an amateur (me) ;) and it doesn't look as good as it could/should.
https://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/d_jedi1/6th scale/TARDIS/P1020562.jpg
https://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/d_jedi1/6th scale/TARDIS/P1020567.jpg
https://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/d_jedi1/6th scale/TARDIS/P1020578.jpg
https://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/d_jedi1/6th scale/TARDIS/P1020512.jpg

wow, I actually inspired someone :D
I have to say though that it was primarily YOUR TARDIS buildup that inspired me to build my own.
I built a roughly 1/6th K9 and while mine is a bit wonky looking, it might give a good feel for the size. I always imagined K9 to be a bit smaller than he is.
Please note that my K9 was built by an amateur (me) ;) and it doesn't look as good as it could/should.
https://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/d_jedi1/6th scale/TARDIS/P1020562.jpg
https://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/d_jedi1/6th scale/TARDIS/P1020567.jpg
https://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/d_jedi1/6th scale/TARDIS/P1020578.jpg
https://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o176/d_jedi1/6th scale/TARDIS/P1020512.jpg

Actually, your K-9 has a lot of personality! I like him a lot.:D

Thank you, he's just cobbled together from spare bits.
I actually built it so I could see if doing a (better) plasticard version would be feasible although, mine has no electronics and has round beads on the underside to act as wheels.
I'm looking forward to seeing how your K9s turn out.

Hey, Nice job!

Any other good different sound-byte K-9 suggestions/possibilities out there?

It'd be good if his "Affirmative!" sound byte could be included as he said that quite a lot.
Also would there be any chance of his nose gun being incorporated into the design?

Back