Do you rotate your figures or you try to display all of them?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Han Solo

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi guys, as we all know this hobby is very addictive. As the numbers of figures increases, do you rotate them on display? Or do you try to squeeze as many as possible in the shelf? I'm sure some with space will just buy more detolf or custom build a bigger display. Haha. What's your take??

Hi guys, as we all know this hobby is very addictive. As the numbers of figures increases, do you rotate them on display? Or do you try to squeeze as many as possible in the shelf? I'm sure some with space will just buy more detolf or custom build a bigger display. Haha. What's your take??

This is an excellent question. I am running out of space...and I have HT Delorean, Mark iii, Luke, Leia, and all 4 Mondo turtles coming in the next 12 months. What's a brother to do? Plus, I want more stuff, of course!!!

I tried rotating them but I realized that when I'd try redisplaying something, I wouldn't feel as strongly about it anymore. Like the excitement of having it on display would wear off during the time it would spend in the attic. It either fits in my limited display space or it gets sold, with maybe one or two exceptions.

I now only keep stuff I'm absolutely over the moon now. Grails (personal or otherwise) only.

Right now, I'm on the side of trying to cram as many as I can. Though with 11 more figures from AoU alone on the way, it's inevitable that I'm going to have to fashion a new display case. As they each trickle in, I'll have to decide which ones I want to display and which ones I want to box up for the time being until more space is created so they all can be displayed.

George Carlin couldn't have been more correct in his "Your Stuff" comedy segment. :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x_QkGPCL18

Right now I only have ONE detolf and 15 figures in it, will be 18 once han chewy and craftone taken arrive this month, im getting 2 more ikea cases but need to remove some wall shelfs I have bolted to the wall to make room, jut been lazy lol, so for now ill keep stuffing them in one case. I really don't think I can fit more then 18 in one case tho lol

I definitely rotate. I also had to throw away some of the boxes. I keep a lot of loose figures wrapped up in one large box in the closet. I don't really miss the boxes honestly and I have a lot more room

I rotate. Got way to many to display. I buy one or two new detolfs a month and still can't get ahead.

I have 17 1/4 scale statues, 16 1/6 scale figures, and 4 weapon replicas. Ive filled every besta and covered any spare surface of every desk, shelf, and table I have, and I just ran out of room recently. So what am I going to do with the 20+ items I have on preorder? That's a future me problem.

I tried rotating them but I realized that when I'd try redisplaying something, I wouldn't feel as strongly about it anymore. Like the excitement of having it on display would wear off during the time it would spend in the attic. It either fits in my limited display space or it gets sold, with maybe one or two exceptions.

I now only keep stuff I'm absolutely over the moon now. Grails (personal or otherwise) only.
This.

Excitment does not wear off for me when they are in storage. I rotate them every few months

Yeah i dunno...it seemed like the perfect idea until I suddenly just wasn't feeling the stuff I was unstashing. This hobby is so hard sometimes

/crie

Last edited:
I keep my collection small, and meaningful to me. I have too many gaming Collector Editions stored in boxes in my wardrobe to do the same with this hobby. For me to to buy it, I'm displaying it. I'm not buying these things to stay in boxes.

One exception may be Lego Kits. There is the UCS Tie Fighter which I want at the moment for my collection, and have nowhere to put it. And if another version of a UCS Millenium Falcon is ever made, I'll seriously have to consider buying it, even with no room for it..

Because space is limited, new and greater items are constantly being made, and my tastes change, I find myself occasionally selling pieces to get new ones. I never really saved stuff to rotate it out later on because storage space is equally limited.

But this is something that I've really come to love about the hobby: my collection is constantly evolving. I pick up a piece, rearrange my space and tweak the displays, and enjoy it for a while. Then I find something else that I really like months down the line, and I can start planning and rearranging again. For me it keeps collecting fresh and exciting.

Yeah i dunno...it seemed like the perfect idea until I suddenly just wasn't feeling the stuff I was unstashing. This hobby is so hard sometimes

/crie

I can understand. i have sold stuff that i should not have bought and did not fit in my collection over the last year. I have gotten a LOT more focused in what i get but i still have more than i can display nicely at one time. I buy less and less every year and only see several figures i might pick up over the next few years if they are made.

I am looking for a bigger house so hopefully i will have a collection room and i will be able to display everything then. If i was going to be in my current place for a long time i would definitely have to sell some. I am happy with my collection right now and it would be hard to figure out what to let go if i had to.

When I run out of room I just keep building new shelves. So, no storage ever for me, especially on 1/6th items.

When I run out of room I just keep building new shelves. So, no storage ever for me, especially on 1/6th items.

So what happens when you end up like me...and run out of walls, floor space, garage space? Lol lets just say, hypothetically of course, that I had 300 plus 1/6 figures, 200 plus motu figures, 100 gi joe figures, 100 1/4 and 1/6 statues...multiple full iron man suits, helmets, and lots of other props and screen used items...what would you do with it all? Lol oh, and Lego. Forgot about those. Lots of Lego. And civil war era relics. I'll stop before I remember more crap I collect. Hypothetically I mean. Lol

Don't you mostly collect 3 3/4 scale though? Thought I remember you having a massive collection of these you posted a pic of but that was long ago. I went that route a few years back (putting up new shelves all the time, etc) but I won't do that again. House ending up looking too much like a toy store for my tastes. I'm prety much out of room to the point I'm going to free myself from the chains known as the HT IM line. Prob keep 1-7 and get rid of the rest.

So what happens when you end up like me...and run out of walls, floor space, garage space? Lol lets just say, hypothetically of course, that I had 300 plus 1/6 figures, 200 plus motu figures, 100 gi joe figures, 100 1/4 and 1/6 statues...multiple full iron man suits, helmets, and lots of other props and screen used items...what would you do with it all? Lol oh, and Lego. Forgot about those. Lots of Lego. And civil war era relics. I'll stop before I remember more crap I collect. Hypothetically I mean. Lol

Ooooh, civil war era replicas would be pretty sweet to see. I would like to go down this road.... although it would be World War 2 stuff, just not enough money. :lol

Right now, I figure my current collection room (actually rearranging it now) can tie me over for another year... maybe two. Then I need to start adding shelves to my bedroom.... which I really do not want to do... but once those shelves are up that should tie me over for another two to three years, at least until I am out of college.

Plus, I will have some room at my rental house to display stuff.

Then when I build my house, I hope to have a top floor dedicated to just my collection... which should last me a good ten years, maybe longer :lol

After that, I am not sure. :lol

Don't you mostly collect 3 3/4 scale though? Thought I remember you having a massive collection of these you posted a pic of but that was long ago. I went that route a few years back (putting up new shelves all the time, etc) but I won't do that again. House ending up looking too much like a toy store for my tastes. I'm prety much out of room to the point I'm going to free myself from the chains known as the HT IM line. Prob keep 1-7 and get rid of the rest.

Yup, my 3 3/4 Star Wars collection is pretty much complete now. But I still collect 15+ active lines.

Have been on 1/6th figures for a year now though and that is my primary collection focus. Got my 50th 1/6 a few days ago with Hawkeye right around my one year anniversary of 1/6th collecting :lol Have another 20 coming in by the end of Quarter 1 2016 that eats up most of my spending for the rest of year.

I figure my 1/6th stuff will slowly start eating away at my collection space....

Back