Do you like Marvel Open Edition Statues?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like open editions versus set editions?

• Total voters
Jesus Christ. Of course SSC is a business. And yes, businesses can only remain open so long as they are profitable. In fact, the name of the game really is to maximize profits. Yes, we all understand this basic principle.

The problem, as others have pointed out, is that Sideshow is a collectibles company. And thus, a big part of their business model that allows them to remain successful and to charge a premium for an item is the collector value of a limited edition product. Yes, there's something to be said about the value of statues as pieces of art as well...but when the statues are mass produced by someone thousands of miles away making a few dollars a day, it loses some of that value as well.

The statues are cool, but they're not as cool when they're mass produced with QC issues (which is already a HUGE problem) and when we are still paying 300% over the actual cost to make the product.

Let's be friends.

I like collecting things that have value and are rare. Its fun being a part of a small number of people to own something.

You quoted one paragraph out of the three I posted and disregarded the other two because what I wrote was correct and you have no argument against it. It's pretty clear what you did.

Paragraph 1 has already been refuted. I become distressed if I have to repeat the same thing more than three times.

Paragraph 3 was addressing someone else; I also found it unimportant. Don't give yourself props for having crafted some devastating argument that stunned me into silence; if you manage to do that, I will hand out props as appropriate.

I don't see that happening, but just sayin'. :snake

The problem, as others have pointed out, is that Sideshow is a collectibles company. And thus, a big part of their business model that allows them to remain successful and to charge a premium for an item is the collector value of a limited edition product. Yes, there's something to be said about the value of statues as pieces of art as well...but when the statues are mass produced by someone thousands of miles away making a few dollars a day, it loses some of that value as well.

The statues are cool, but they're not as cool when they're mass produced with QC issues (which is already a HUGE problem) and when we are still paying 300% over the actual cost to make the product.

If it were that profitable for Sideshow, or Bowen or ANYone to be creating fantabulous collectibles in editions of no higher than 10, for an elite base of super-high-end collectors, I assure you they would be doing it now and nothing else. Fact is, that's not what is profitable for them.

These companies are creating collectibles for a large, diverse population of collectors, and as an aside they throw in the extras-laden limited edition run, for people who like that. Instead of griping about how everything they make should have ten or fewer in the edition, BE GLAD you get the occasional Ex edition of whatever.

They're running a business, and they're in it to make a profit. Not to mention the high cost of creating MOLDS for these statues. Do you know how labor-intensive that is?! Once made, they're going to be used to make more than ten copies of a sculpture, this is real-life economics and not some wild fantasy of how everything should be super-duper-duper limited, because thats how a few people want it.

untitle.JPG

:lol:lol:rotfl

How many OEs did we have 2 years ago versus now for Marvel statues btw? Just to see if they are increasing.

Back