Do you like Marvel Open Edition Statues?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like open editions versus set editions?

• Total voters
I agree with you to a point but in cases like the Batman EX which is still available I think "exclusive" has lost it's meaning as far as SS is concerned.
The people who wanted this had it ordered within 10 minutes. The rest were undecided (which is their loss) or will stumble across it over the Con weekend and order it (which is lame).
Consistency annoys me too. The Star Wars Droids ex sold out in hours with a vague order clue aswell leading into it the day before - yet the bat logo was up the day before as a clue on this and nearly 48 hours later it's still up. :gah:

I do agree that an EX should have a limited number. As long as said Ex is not something really important to the item. Rhino for example. I really think two heads should come with all of them because the EX head is far better. But a print is not essential to the statue. But either way I think that perhaps the EX should be more limited Otherwise why be an EX. And the reg can be an endless supply for all I care.

I just want my Hulk Maquette.

Little bit of a loaded question. Sorta like, "do you like the fact that there is an obesity epidemic in the US? Yes or no?" I doubt any collector is actively in favor of it considering that it doesn't seem to really benefit anyone who wants to own such pieces, while some are offended and angered by the idea apparently. So you've got angry folks, and indifferent folks, and those should probably be the poll options.

However you feel about the fact that it's happening though, SSC has a business rationale for it. They made a cost-benefit calculation that the amount of money saved by such a move would outweigh the money lost by those offended by it, and there it is. SSC's not gonna change their behavior based on some disgruntled collectors on a web forum, even if polls are made. They're gonna make decisions based on how many order or don't order from them. Speak with your wallets.

As long as I get a statue I like into my collection, I don't care one way or the other.

Doesn't matter to me. As long as I have the pieces I like, then I don't care who else has them either.

Because they can pocket the money as demand grows as oppose to some dude on the secondary market.

Great comments so far...If you're in this hobby to resell them down the line then you're in the wrong hobby! I rather see my money go to SS then to a dirtbag wanting to make an extra buck on someone new to collecting.
Buying from a collector is prob the worst since they demand top dollar then a flipper.

Well be careful what you wish for guys.

Sideshow slowly but surely starting to make more of their products to have an open ES.

First they start with LSF line, and moving to less expensive line like War Machine Life Size Bust and now Galactus Maquette. Next thing you know they start doing an open ES for a PF.

Who knows maybe one day they will put ALL their products as open edition. If that happens I'll probably be the first one to stop buying their products, it's just not worth it FOR ME. But it maybe totally fine for others, which is fine by me, you do whatever you want to do with your money.

Very true, they are testing the waters with open editions in a few select pieces. If those are successful, they may decide to implement it on more items - like in the PF line.

They are mixing and matching the open editions from busts, (1:1 Warmachine Bust), Legendary Scale Figures and now maquettes (Galactus maquette).

What kara said does make some sense, vote with your wallets. Unfortunately like in all monopolies, some of the hardcore fans won't have much of a choice since Side is the only Show in town. So unless another company gets a Marvel licence to produce large scale statues, SSC can pretty much do what they want.

Open editions generally means shrinkage of the number of characters made. They made Venom busts, Ironman 1:1 etc. You'll see the number of remakes of popular characters dwindle since they will be readily available for a long time so there is no need to resculpt them. In addition, exclusives like Black and White variants will no longer be necessary since it will cannibalize the sale of their current open edition products.

More obscure characters also won't be made in open edition, since people will wait forever to buy them and in the end never will. Edition size helped to get stuff out the door. Now there is no hurry.

As you have seen in the current open editions, they will also scrap exclusives and everything will be regular edition (Galactus maquette, Wolvie LSF, IM LSF etc).

The danger now is that you won't know if an item is open edition on PO with NRD (Galactus maquette). They should at least put that info up when they take customer money.

The last thing that disappears is the number on the base. Although it wasn't foolproof, at least duplicate numbers could warn collectors of a recast but without any number on the base, the high sticker price will make recasting even easier.

So support for open editions means loss of character sculpts, decreased number of characters made, no numbers on the base and no more exclusives.

sorry for the broken record, but that's jmo.

I forgot about the recasting part, what would stop somebody here in the US from getting a crapload of piece from China in the hundreds and painting them himself and go on ebay and selling it for half off? You made a good point about that fuzzy, you get a skilled artists that can replicate paintjobs from Sideshow and even Sideshow wouldn't even be able to tell if they are legitimate or not.

and for the people who have no problem with open editions in this hobby don't seem to care what this whole industry is about.

I forgot about the recasting part, what would stop somebody here in the US from getting a crapload of piece from China in the hundreds and painting them himself and go on ebay and selling it for half off? You made a good point about that fuzzy, you get a skilled artists that can replicate paintjobs from Sideshow and even Sideshow wouldn't even be able to tell if they are legitimate or not.

and for the people who have no problem with open editions in this hobby don't seem to care what this whole industry is about.

:horror forgot about that. No ES means this can happen! :slap:thud::lecture:mad::exactly:

:horror forgot about that. No ES means this can happen! :slap:thud::lecture:mad::exactly:

So, recasters have no ability to write a number on a recast to make it look authentic? Failure of argument.

Recasters are a big problem, but small numbered editions are not going to solve it. In fact tiny editions make the problem worse, because people desperate to own a collectible without paying a flipper's $1500 mark-up create a niche market for recasters.

clever-girl.jpg

I'll copy and paste this from the Galactus thread because it's also related to this thread.

This is not exactly an impulse-buy sort of figure. They're leaving the edition open for now to give people time to mull such a big purchase over. And this is a smart move.

I despise "flipping." I absolutely despise it. And Galactus and Doom being OE is foiling those who want to dart in and snatch up all of a small edition, just so they can try to sell them later on eBay for $5000 each, or whatever. This means that many true fans of the character are left out in the cold.

I am 100% fine with Sideshow [and anyone else] who sabotages the plans of people whose only interest in cool collectibles is to try to make a buck off of fellow hobbyists. I know those won't be popular sentiments, but then flipping isn't popular with me - so we're even.

I believe $800 (not $2K) is not too much for many of us here who collect Sideshow statues. It's reasonable price for a statue this big with tons of detail. If you are true fans of this character and you like the statue you don't wait too long to order this, so closed ES should not be a problem for true fans.

Now I understand if this is a closed ES and new collectors 2 years from now if they want it, they would have to pay a market price. But that should be the way it is, that's what collecting is all about. High end collectible should appreciate in value NOT depreciate.

I was new collector too at one point, and I paid market value on eBay for statues of characters that I like. I don't mind spending more money for TRUE COLLECTIBLE ITEMS that I admire. NOBODY forced me to buy them from flippers on eBay and BTW some of them I bought them at market value from collectors like us and I did not hate them for selling me those statues with a marked up price, they deserved every penny they got from their sales.

If new collectors missed out a statue from the character they like and do not want to pay the market price, then just wait for another one.
For example: If you missed Hulk PF and don't want to pay high market value, maybe you should not buy it, maybe you should just wait for Hulk Maquette. This is what "collecting" should be. There should be a rare or limited element in this hobby.

If people can buy statues ANYTIME they like and ALWAYS lose money when they have to sell due to whatever reasons what is so high end collectibles about them? (hint: when you sell something it does mean your main purpose is to get a profit, please think before respond).

If that happens Sideshow should drop the word collectibles from their name because their items are not truly collectibles.

And one more why people who love open ES when they sell statues they sell them at market price. Why? Since they don't care about making profit, shouldn't they sell their doom pf or hulk pf or cap pf at retail price? Until today I still have not find ONE collector who are willing to sell those statues at retail price.

I'll copy and paste this from the Galactus thread because it's also related to this thread.

I believe $800 (not $2K) is not too much for many of us here who collect Sideshow statues. It's reasonable price for a statue this big with tons of detail. If you are true fans of this character and you like the statue you don't wait too long to order this, so closed ES should not be a problem for true fans.

Now I understand if this is a closed ES and new collectors 2 years from now if they want it, they would have to pay a market price. But that should be the way it is, that's what collecting is all about. High end collectible should appreciate in value NOT depreciate.

I was new collector too at one point, and I paid market value on eBay for statues of characters that I like. I don't mind spending more money for TRUE COLLECTIBLE ITEMS that I admire. NOBODY forced me to buy them from flippers on eBay and BTW some of them I bought them at market value from collectors like us and I did not hate them for selling me those statues with a marked up price, they deserved every penny they got from their sales.

If new collectors missed out a statue from the character they like and do not want to pay the market price, then just wait for another one.
For example: If you missed Hulk PF and don't want to pay high market value, maybe you should not buy it, maybe you should just wait for Hulk Maquette. This is what "collecting" should be. There should be a rare or limited element in this hobby.

If people can buy statues ANYTIME they like and ALWAYS lose money when they have to sell due to whatever reasons what is so high end collectibles about them? (hint: when you sell something it does mean your main purpose is to get a profit, please think before respond).

If that happens Sideshow should drop the word collectibles from their name because their items are not truly collectibles.

And one more why people who love open ES when they sell statues they sell them at market price. Why? Since they don't care about making profit, shouldn't they sell their doom pf or hulk pf or cap pf at retail price? Until today I still have not find ONE collector who are willing to sell those statues at retail price.

Im actually neutral on this one ,i stand by sideshow decisions to set TBD on pfs and other lines and a open ES on more cotly ones like the LSF
one thing we know every year new collectors joing this Hobby and since now Sideshow is the only company producing great statues at this scale,and limited ones at that , new collectors would invarilably hav a desire to get the older ones that are fetching marked up prices, now if they can afford it well and good, but in my case i started collecting a year back and pfs like Thor and cap are beyond my range, so should i get the newer releases like Vision and hawkeye PF,im a completist and like to have a full team , so how good Vision and Hawkye are its a easy pass for me,this is where sideshow is in a dilemma, the lesser know character would be left sitting on their shelves if they decide to make a large ES for the these secondary characters,keeping it TBD give them a certain time to gauge the market and thats y im not suprised at the super low editions of Rhino,SPiderwoman..
Im certain sideshow knows more of the market than most of us here including the older collectors who feel they are the reason for sideshows success
but if u look at the pictures from this comic con , one thing i noticed is suddenly sideshow marvel dc pf are a total meh compared to the Horror, gaming PF and LSF, they know the marvel PF line is saturated and now they have to open to other lines to keep their success going

No doubt an open edition may hit certain numbers after 2-20 years of being in stock
... so you really think theres a real chance SS may still have today's OE items still in stock in the year 2032 huh??? ...... :monkey1

That also brings in the problem of recasting.
.... OE will actually combat recasters. Who would recast an item when the original is still readily available at retail?
This typically only happens to "hot" pieces that are sold out and there is an aftermarket demand and lack of supply ....

... so you really think theres a real chance SS may still have today's OE items still in stock in the year 2032 huh??? ...... :monkey1

.... OE will actually combat recasters. Who would recast an item when the original is still readily available at retail?
This typically only happens to "hot" pieces that are sold out and there is an aftermarket demand and lack of supply ....

exactly , what people forget is sideshow can make them as long they hold the license and that wont be forever maybe some other company will get it

exactly , what people forget is sideshow can make them as long they hold the license and that wont be forever maybe some other company will get it

Well said brother dino. Good job explaining to him :hi5:

Yeah, it definitely won't be the only factor but considering the $2,000 to be made, no numbers won't hurt.

still goin'

'nuff said

Well said brother dino. Good job explaining to him :hi5:

I could be wrong, but I dont think he was agreeing with you.

And you didnt answer the question yourself. I want you to look dead at your screen and with a straight face, type "Yes, i truly think these OE products offered today may still be available on SS's site in the year 2032." .... :monkey1

You do know that 2-20 is a range right?

If you're 1-100 years old doesn't mean you are exactly 100 years old but somewhere in that range.

Let me put it in easier terms for you. If you have four and twenty blackbirds, baked in a pie.
When the pie was opened, there can be anywhere between 4-20 of them singing. I just don't see there being more than 20 blackbirds but there never has to be anything close and the figure will still be right.

That's how range of numbers work, hope that help. :peace

Anyways, enuff of the nitpicking of figures.

Unless I see Sideshow closed the order for any open ES products, the way I see it this open ES statue will always be available indefinitely / FOREVA.

I like to be proven wrong by Sideshow.

Closed the damn order for one of these open ES products, maybe I will not wait forever to order them. Money is not an issue for me right now, the lack of ES is.

Back