Do you let friends borrow games?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth_Fatso

Super Freak
Reaction score
I usually never had a problem untill recently when I let severall friends borrow a few games and they came back scratched and the covers messed up (including RE5 and Survivor which WAS in perfect shape). While the games still work, it's very irritating since I like to keep my games and their sleeves in mint condition (unless bought otherwise) and even worse when I borrow anything from a friend, I treat their stuff better than my own and when my stuff isn't treated the same I feel a bit disrespected. Now the friend who borrowed RE5 was a real bud and bought me a new copy of the game after I told him I was a kinda ticked the game wasn't in the same condition as before and he kept the old copy but my other friends think I'm being unfair since I told them I'm kinda hesitant in letting them borrow stuff from me in the future. Now I haven't asked nor do I expect them to buy me new copies cause like I said the games still work, but am I right in feeling a bit disrespected or am I being too picky. I know none of them did it on purpous but still, they all know I like to keep my stuff in mint condition whenever possible.

I understand, i hate it when i lend games or movies and they come back dirty or scratched, whenever i'm lending my sis a dvd that has a card slipcover i leave the slipcover at home, cos last time it was crushed and it damn irritated me.

Something similar happened to me back in 1998, in middle school, when I lent one of my friends my "MechCommaner" CD-ROM (pretty old game :lol). Anyway, it was in pristine condition when I allowed him to borrow it, but he returned it to me all scratched up. He then had the nerve to tell me that I lent it to him in that condition. Since then, I've never let anyone borrow anything from me. If someone really likes something that I have, then I tell them to go and buy it. Needless to say, that I've lost a few friends due to my materialistic stinginess :monkey1.

In my opinion, sharing is like swearing - it's not good to do either :lecture.

I've also run into this situation a few times in the past. Now I'm just a stingy bastard and no one touches my games except me.

Your concerns are warranted. I am the same, I always treat borrowed items with great respect. When I lend anything out, I specify it's condition and tell them to be careful with it. They usually understand what I'm talking about.

In my experience there are just some things you just don't share with other dudes:

1. games/dvds/blurays/music cds
2. Feelings (unless you're...you know)
3. Underwear
4. Women

Like I said I used to not have a prob cause I let these guys borrow stuff before with no problems but after this, I'm kinda considering only letting a select few friends borrow games and movies from me from now on. Like I said all my friends know I'm ____ when it comes to keeping my stuff in good condition so the fact the the games were scratched and the sleeves dinged was really irritating. At least one actually bought me a new copy of a game even though I said he didn't have to.

It's also annoying when my friends mess with my figures. Usually I let it slide with my cheap figures like my Star Wars or GI Joes but a few months back, my friend were over on put my HT Jill and STARS Wesker in an "awkward" position which I'll admit was kinda funny but still annoying since I allways tell people not to touch any of my 1/6 figures without asking first and I kinda went off on them a little. Again I may have over reacted but still, they all know I don't like people touching my figures especially my HT stuff unless asked first.

In my experience there are just some things you just don't share with other dudes:

1. games/dvds/blurays/music cds
2. Feelings (unless you're...you know)
3. Underwear
4. Women

Well one of my buds who messed up one of my games and says I'm being a baby about it has a hot wife. If he lets me have sex with her, I'll forgive him and he can borrow all the games he wants from me and if he ruins them, I get to screw his wife for each game ruined. I think thats fair.

Last edited:
Well one of my buds who messed up one of my games and says I'm being a baby about it has a hot wife. If he lets me have sex with her, I'll forgive him and he can borrow all the games he wants from me and if he ruins them, I get to screw his wife for each game ruined. I think thats fair.

:lol Maybe next time he messes up one of your games you should bring this up with him.

Just make sure you return her with less scratches than he did with your games...or don't...if you're..ya know...into that....:monkey3

NEVER! I did once borrow a friend Metal gear solid twins snakes for the gamecube , and was mint , came back with scratches on the disc and sleeve and instructions covered in coca cola and smelling of cigarette smoke.
So i made him buy me one off Ebay for £40.00.
If you do borrow your buddy Games i suggest putting it in a empty DVD case.

...but am I right in feeling a bit disrespected or am I being too picky. I know none of them did it on purpous but still, they all know I like to keep my stuff in mint condition whenever possible.

You are being too picky, but you are right in being so. After all, it is YOUR stuff, paid with your money, and you are the one to decide which condition you want to keep it in.

My problem is related. I used to lend my friends many DVDs from my collection, until I got tired of having to be reminding them all the time that they had them (sometimes more than a year!!).

I have a bad memory :lol And hey! If I lend somebody something, isn't it his/her responsability to keep it in good condition and remember to bring it back???

I don't usually lend stuff anymore
:wave

Only certain friends are allowed to borrow my movies and games, and that's with a strict warning that the disc is to be returned in exactly the same condition or they must replace it. If they don't like those terms, they leave empty-handed.

As others have indicated, it's also a good idea to have empty DVD cases handy for these situations, as it doesn't really matter if they get scratched up or accidentally damaged.

I NEVER lend out books. I learned my lesson; never again.

I used to let friends borrow games all the time until the 9th grade a "friend" wanted to borrow a ton of games for the weekend for some family thing going on. This "friend" moved across the country that weekend with my stuff.

Since then, never done it.

i give them a solid NO. i dont ____ around with my games or movies. i learned the hard way. so NO

Back