Keep mold growth box or throw then?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

potato

Super Freak
Reaction score
Been moving stuffs mainly boxes from old home. I cleaned half of them when i still had time there before moving. Most of them have brown spots developed on the paper boxes and manuals, those on boxes are usually permanent like foxing which is part of mold. Styrofoams have minor spots which could usually be removed. The plastic trays would have different type of more solid brown mold.

So i open up all the flaps on the box and manuals and gave it a throughout wipe with wetwipes. For trays i would wash them with soap and scrub with toothbrush. For plastic bags i wash them and try to wipe the dry with paper towel before leaving it dry.

And finally i would give everything a UV-C light treatment before packing everything up and tossing few sillica bags and moth balls. I also wrap the box with plastic bag since everything is now disinfected new mold shouldnt be growing as moth balls would kill them and plastic keeps everything contained. This is a tedious task.

Now i had to move everything out due to time constraint and it feels overwhelming having so many boxes with so little working space. I kinda feel like just tossing most of the boxes out irregardless of the value. After sleeping i felt less compelled but still thinking about it. I wouldnt be able to contain mold from spreading when i work on the dirty boxes like i used to. Previously i already decided it be my last time working on the previous boxes as i have done everything i can think of any new growth would just mean itd be pointless. I know temp and humid can solve the issue but right now i have to clean those boxes.

Boxes that uses adhesives are the worst like hot toys. I really miss those old school medicom boxes where you just wipe few cardboxes and call it a day.

Back