• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Do not use "gift" when sending payment by paypal

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your selling something you should pay the fees, I wont bother with FS threads when they ask the buyer to pay. It's a service for the seller too, at worst split em or work it in the price if it bothers you so much.

Yeah, I never have and never will ask somebody else to pay the fees. That's my cost of doing business.

It has come to my attention that people are still using the "gift" option when paying for items.

If a seller asks for this - please report them to a commerce mod - they are probably trying to scam you.

I haven't posted on here in ages and recently put a statue up for sale asking for a gift payment. (Unfortunately I had not read this post before putting on my one).

I disagree that many people that ask for gift payments are scammers. I have never scammed anybody. Many people sell their items because they are in financial difficulty and actually need to liquidate their collectible assets.

If there is a way of saving a few extra needed bucks by asking for a gift payment as the terms and conditions of your sale, (which is your own business), then that's fine. Paypal is a necessary evil but it's a great way of working through a transaction where both parties, who don't know each other, can feel safe.

If people don't agree with someones way of doing business, sometimes because they have to, then move along, there's nothing for you to buy here.

Denis

I have always felt that what people do business wise should be up to the two parties involved in the transaction. And if someone sees something in a thread they want but the seller says gift only or seller covers fees I feel its up to the buyer to PM the seller discussing the terms of payment even more. Mods and other members can warn all they want, but I say lets leave the nitty gritty specifics up to the buyer and seller. I know I always will allow a gift payment. I'm not going to say that is all I'll accept, however if the buyer is comfortable than cool. And if PayPal wants to get involved that's one thing, but not a board not affiliated with PayPal.

Its late, sure hope I didn't ramble too much. Right now it all makes sense to me :lol

I think it's more of a common sense issue. As a buyer, I would never send a gift payment unless it's a seller with a long history here and flawless/plentiful feedback or a friend here. As a seller, I'd only give them the option without requiring it. Sort of becomes a Use Common Sense issue.

If your selling something you should pay the fees, I wont bother with FS threads when they ask the buyer to pay. It's a service for the seller too, at worst split em or work it in the price if it bothers you so much.

I was just browsing the threads and came here to comment on this as well. It's bad form to post your price and add "+ paypal fee." If a seller is concerned with fees, they should take that into consideration when setting their price.

The reason I say add the fees is because those fees could change at any time. I know how much I want to get for an item I am selling. Therefore, it's easier for me to revise my sentence "X%" versus updating every items price to reflect said change.

The reason I say add the fees is because those fees could change at any time. I know how much I want to get for an item I am selling. Therefore, it's easier for me to revise my sentence "X%" versus updating every items price to reflect said change.

I don't expect people to pay my fees for me as the seller and I will not buy from someone who thinks I should pay their fees for them.

As a seller I've had people voluntarily either pay me as Gift or add paypal fees even though I asked for neither. I take that as a compliment that they trust me enough or were happy enough with my prices that its kind of a thank you from them. My favorite kind of buyers!

Thats pretty nice of them and could see doing that for someone you may buy off of often or something (like myself with Evilface lately:wave).

Bottom line is that they are sellers fee's not buyer fee's lol.

As far as I understand the rate is 2.9% + .30 per transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/merchant-fees

Yeah, ultimately you're talking 3-4 cents on the dollar. I'm not sure why some sellers make such a big deal out of it. Just eat the damn cost. Consider it your fee for the privilege of otherwise selling for free on the forum.

One thing I wonder about is why does paypal offer the option of buyer paying the fees then? Its paypal themselves that have made it open for argument.

If I'm buying something on ebay its not there but if I'm buying something from a fellow forum member and just sending them money theres the option of me paying the fees or leaving them to the seller.

If I'm buying something on ebay its not there but if I'm buying something from a fellow forum member and just sending them money theres the option of me paying the fees or leaving them to the seller.

I never knew they did that. Still, it doesn't look good for a seller to tell the buyer to pay their fees. It's better to just set your price and if the fees bother you, work them into it. It's better presentation that way.

Seeing lots of people on here charging fees shame im interested but you cant risk being burned

Back