• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Do not use "gift" when sending payment by paypal

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does? And what is the difference between a MO, and sending as gift?
Can you prove that the recipient cashed it? I can cas any check or money order at a check cashing place, and no one will ever be able to, or go thru the hoops of proving that I did.

I think if you get a USPS MO you will avoid that problem since they can only be cashed at USPS offices and require ID. I might be mistaken.

Can you prove that the recipient cashed it? I can cas any check or money order at a check cashing place, and no one will ever be able to, or go thru the hoops of proving that I did.

Bottom line - For me, as a buyer, Paypal is the only way to go, and never as 'Gift'.
And if any of you choose otherwise - Well then, I have a beautiful bridge I will sell to you for dirt cheap.

I think if you get a USPS MO you will avoid that problem since they can only be cashed at USPS offices and require ID. I might be mistaken.

I wonder if this is true. Anyone knows?

Ebay is great if you are a buyer.sucks if you are a seller.

Generally... but I've come close to getting screwed as a buyer as well. Paypal has some funky rules when it comes to buyers having to return and item and because the tracking slip was lost by USPS Paypal tried to screw me out of what I paid for the item, plus shipping to me and the shipping to return the item to the seller.

Luckily I also had delivery insurance which has its own tracking number that was verified delivered by the USPS, but even with a notarized letter from USPS Paypal still tried to claim I could not prove the item was delivered :huh F'n jerks, but I complained enough and made enough of a stink I got my money back even if I was out my initial $20 in shipping.

So buyers aren't always fully protected or sided with.

Bottom line - For me, as a buyer, Paypal is the only way to go, and never as 'Gift'.
And if any of you choose otherwise - Well then, I have a beautiful bridge I will sell to you for dirt cheap.

I see your point- but Paypal is a sticky wicket which is lovely until you get bitten back by it- sooner or later you will if you sell alot.

Don't know, maybe it should be! A lot of problems lately in regards to this issue it seems. Whenever I sell, I have always considered the cost of those fees when pricing what I sell. I never ask for them separately.

It should definitely be stickied so new sellers and buyers know how to better protect themselves! :lecture

Honestly, I doubt anyone who pays with gift does so in ignorance of what it means in terms of recourse to buyer protection. They probably just want to save a few bucks by not paying the extra fee and are overly optimistic about rolling the dice. Sticky it, put it on the first page, force everyone to read it aloud, won't matter for many until they actually get burned.

I always give the option of a gift payment if someone offers me a lower price then I want to actually take. I think its fair really considering I price all my stuff with fee's included. I think its up to the buyer, whether they want to take the risk or not with it. Personally I have paid once with a gift, had a good transaction but will never do it again. Id rather cover the cost of the fee's.

Honestly, I doubt anyone who pays with gift does so in ignorance of what it means in terms of recourse to buyer protection. They probably just want to save a few bucks by not paying the extra fee and are overly optimistic about rolling the dice. Sticky it, put it on the first page, force everyone to read it aloud, won't matter for many until they actually get burned.

Oxymoronic. :lol

There's a difference between knowing something rationally, and changing your behavior because of that something after it affects you. Happens all the time in all walks of life.

I payed someone here $2800 via gift. Morale of the story is, I was lucky I didn't get burned :wave.

Because thinking things through and using common sense are irrelevant? :dunno
Of course they are relevant. But not everyone does this, at least not initially. The question is whether the forum taking this action or that action is gonna facilitate folks thinking this through. I think horror stories can help, but this is gonna keep happening no matter what. It could be best minimized by creating a new rule outlawing this behavior, but Dave thinks that is too much hand holding and I tend to agree. There are consequences to risky behaviors, and sadly, sometimes this has to get learned first hand.

Back