Divorce and action figures in Texas

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ropen

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys what's up, as of now I am separated from my wife, but in a recent turn of events divorce has come up, the problem is that everything is my fault and the lawyers she talked to mentioned how she could take away all of them or half if she wanted. She is the one who supported my habit in the first place, and she knows how much money she can pull off if she sold them, my collection varies from transformers, at least 5,000 bucks in hot toys figures, expensive 1:18 model cars, a huge collection of Lego, and most importantly I own every single saint seiya vintage and myth cloth/ex figure known to man kind, all of this totals upto 30,000 usd in figures, has anyone been through this?

My wife has told me many times that she does not want them at all, now I am not *****ing about the toys, but the fact of the matter is, I was infantry man for 10 years in the army, and had a hard childhood growing up, where now that I can afford my toys I just buy what I was missing in the my childhood, and rather than have any bad vices like drinking, gambling or drugs, I collect toys to calm my ptsd down. We have two boys who are close to 14 months but I am sure they will have a blast with all those figures, but for the sakes of the court can they do anything, or take anything if they really wanted to come after me? Our cars are under a name, and we bought a house that she does not want at all, all she wants is child support and that's it... any help or advice would be deeply great in this miniscule moment of intranquility in my life... thanks!

If she really doesn't want it and doesn't push for it, then I don't know why anyone would try and take it, even if your wife was legally given the right to your stuff.

In cases like that, if she wanted to get them then she could try for it, but that's the only reason. Her lawyer will probably try to convince her to try to get as much out of you as she can since they would get a piece of it. But still, it's her choice.

start buying up crap toys from goodwill.. and have a family member or friend store the good stuff. You might be able to keep the majority of the good stuff. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega

If all she wants is half of your collection and child support I say deal with her. If she really wants to push things she could get half the value of everything, possibly alimony, and possibly half of any retirement plan you may have. No chance of working it out?

Last edited:
Sounds to me like she clearly doesn't want that stuff, but the lawyers are saying that she could have it if she wanted to:

the lawyers she talked to mentioned how she could take away all of them or half if she wanted. . .

My wife has told me many times that she does not want them at all. . .all she wants is child support and that's it...
Maybe she just mentioned it to him as a veiled threat--if he fails to pay child support, the toys could be taken.

Are you two using a mutual attorney or do you have your own?
Make sure that what is yours and what is hers is discussed and agreed upon before doing anything else.
If all she wants is child support, get it written down and notarized. The attorney will help with this. That should help get a huge amount of stress off your mind. GL.

If all she wants is half of your collection and child support I say deal with her. If she really wants to push things she could get half the value of everything, possibly alimony, and possibly half of any retirement plan you may have. No chance of working it out?

I think the retirement part would depend on how long they were married.

She may be entitled to half, but if she signs off on it, then there's nothing the lawyer can do. Since you say it's all your fault and that she's paid into your collecting habit, you'll be damn lucky if that's all she walks away with is child support, though that can be more than just payments, you may have to put a roof over their heads as well.

I would suggest having a sit down with her, just you and her, and discussing it all.

Also depends on the state. Some only require you be married for 1 year while others are longer.

For the OP, best you can do is prepare yourself for the worst outcome so you're not surprised. If your state is a community property state then your wife has a right to 50% of everything accumulated since your marriage: house, cars, household items, collectibles, etc. Child support and alimony are a given also but she can waive alimony...the state likely won't allow her to waive child support and it wouldn't be smart on her part.

You say it's your fault....care to explain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys what's up, as of now I am separated from my wife, but in a recent turn of events divorce has come up, the problem is that everything is my fault and the lawyers she talked to mentioned how she could take away all of them or half if she wanted. She is the one who supported my habit in the first place, and she knows how much money she can pull off if she sold them, my collection varies from transformers, at least 5,000 bucks in hot toys figures, expensive 1:18 model cars, a huge collection of Lego, and most importantly I own every single saint seiya vintage and myth cloth/ex figure known to man kind, all of this totals upto 30,000 usd in figures, has anyone been through this?

My wife has told me many times that she does not want them at all, now I am not *****ing about the toys, but the fact of the matter is, I was infantry man for 10 years in the army, and had a hard childhood growing up, where now that I can afford my toys I just buy what I was missing in the my childhood, and rather than have any bad vices like drinking, gambling or drugs, I collect toys to calm my ptsd down. We have two boys who are close to 14 months but I am sure they will have a blast with all those figures, but for the sakes of the court can they do anything, or take anything if they really wanted to come after me? Our cars are under a name, and we bought a house that she does not want at all, all she wants is child support and that's it... any help or advice would be deeply great in this miniscule moment of intranquility in my life... thanks!

If splitting up is a mutual need. If there's no ill will toward each other. If she doesn't want the figures and toys she can simply tell her lawyers or even declare she doesn't want them. having looked into some of TX's divorce laws. You and your wife can set the terms without lawyers. I think you need to declare what you want and both agree to those terms.
Good luck though. There are options. Remember the court can't force both parties to agree to arrangements neither party wants.
Take everything I say with very loosely, please. Just remember lawyers are going to try to get as much as they can, since they will get paid based upon the terms. If anything, just divorce yourselves without any lawyers.

If she really doesn't want it and doesn't push for it, then I don't know why anyone would try and take it, even if your wife was legally given the right to your stuff.

I known her for a long time, but I expect the worst out of people and she may have a secret agenda, she can say one thing but do something totally different. That's what scares me.

In cases like that, if she wanted to get them then she could try for it, but that's the only reason. Her lawyer will probably try to convince her to try to get as much out of you as she can since they would get a piece of it. But still, it's her choice.

She mentioned the lawyer was a leech and wanted her to get everything, Texas from what I hear sides more with the spouses than the husbands most of the time.

start buying up crap toys from goodwill.. and have a family member or friend store the good stuff. You might be able to keep the majority of the good stuff. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega

Bad idea, I was the dumb ass who allowed her to run my finances therefore she allotted me like 500 bucks a month for toy allowance... and I've spent it all, she knows how much my stuff is worth. :(

She has told me she just wants child support, that's all, I am just preparing for the worst and hoping for the best, we are trying to work it out, but she is distant from me now and have no clue when she is wanting to separate for, could take days, weeks, months even a year. Talking to a bunch of women the good thing is that if she did not hand me divorce papers, there is still a chance of her coming back.

I think this is a bad idea.

She doesn't want the house... Just half your toys and child support?

She doesn't want the toys, just child support, but she is influenced easy, if she breaks down and listens to other people, I have a gut feeling she will pursue them.

Sounds to me like she clearly doesn't want that stuff, but the lawyers are saying that she could have it if she wanted to:

Maybe she just mentioned it to him as a veiled threat--if he fails to pay child support, the toys could be taken.

She told me when she talked to him, that they were giving her a ton of options and information about how much she could literally screw me and leave me with nothing. Just a bowl and a spoon.

Are you two using a mutual attorney or do you have your own?
Make sure that what is yours and what is hers is discussed and agreed upon before doing anything else.
If all she wants is child support, get it written down and notarized. The attorney will help with this. That should help get a huge amount of stress off your mind. GL.

She wants to a mutual cordial arrangement, she doesn't want to pursue paperwork as of yet, but no clue I really need to get my own attorney, until now I was willing to give her everything and start fresh. or just getting everything together and burning them.

She may be entitled to half, but if she signs off on it, then there's nothing the lawyer can do. Since you say it's all your fault and that she's paid into your collecting habit, you'll be damn lucky if that's all she walks away with is child support, though that can be more than just payments, you may have to put a roof over their heads as well.

I would suggest having a sit down with her, just you and her, and discussing it all.

I have military disability which I thought it was untouchable, but from what I read they can take some money from it.

Also depends on the state. Some only require you be married for 1 year while others are longer.

For the OP, best you can do is prepare yourself for the worst outcome so you're not surprised. If your state is a community property state then your wife has a right to 50% of everything accumulated since your marriage: house, cars, household items, collectibles, etc. Child support and alimony are a given also but she can waive alimony...the state likely won't allow her to waive child support and it wouldn't be smart on her part.

You say it's your fault....care to explain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing is that I had an affair for six months, I deserve what she will do to me, but right now she wants to live the single life, she has a boyfriend right now, she has dirt on me, she met the other woman, she knows where she lives, they have fought numerous times, I was trying to get all the dirt from her so we can call it even that we both had affairs and that way we could part our own ways with our stuff and not split everything into half or something. She is being extra careful with her stuff now, so she sleeps with her phone and she is a light sleeper. So until now I am screwed. I came to my senses and left the other woman and try to fix my marriage. I am hopeful though.

That sucks man!

Forget about the toys and concentrate on your children is my advice.

That is what I am doing right now, it's the only viable option I have left, everything else is material, it's so bad right now the kids are more attached to me than my wife and she is hating it so bad. I know is hurting her. They are twins though so it's more fun watching them destroy my lego.

If splitting up is a mutual need. If there's no ill will toward each other. If she doesn't want the figures and toys she can simply tell her lawyers or even declare she doesn't want them. having looked into some of TX's divorce laws. You and your wife can set the terms without lawyers. I think you need to declare what you want and both agree to those terms.
Good luck though. There are options. Remember the court can't force both parties to agree to arrangements neither party wants.
Take everything I say with very loosely, please. Just remember lawyers are going to try to get as much as they can, since they will get paid based upon the terms. If anything, just divorce yourselves without any lawyers.

I need something on paper though, she can pull a fast one on me and use everything she knows against me.

You have two kids, you're going through a divorce and you're worried about your toys?

I really don't care about my toys, in fact I would find it hilarious if she keeps them, she probably would sell them for cheap either way and will lose money, but still, I am getting some advice though, the toys are my liquid assets she can keep if she wanted to, but she has told me that she will let me keep seeing the kids, she wants to live her life now so for the past two weeks I have been watching them more than she is, she is not a bad person to that point, but I keep getting this false sense of hope that gets me all worked up and start getting weirded out about everything, like having someone raise them, she has threatened me by saying she does not want me to me the other guy she is seeing so I took offense to that and told her she could keep them and I would sign the paternity so he could be the father, and completely erase me from their life, I just want to do what makes her happy and if that's what it takes so be it, I would die on the inside but as long as she is happy there is nothing I can do...

That sucks man!

Forget about the toys and concentrate on your children is my advice.

You have two kids, you're going through a divorce and you're worried about your toys?

I sympathise with anyone who has to cope with and manage PTSD. Keep your eye on the prize - which is as positive a relationship as you can sustain with your ex-wife, and being a solid father to your young boys.

Get professional help. My half-sisters are in their 30s, and it's taken them their whole lives to come to terms with their relationship with their Vietnam-vet father. It's not just about you anymore, which I'm sure you know.

Probably a good idea not to post value and other comments here as your wife seems clever enough to know about this site and if I was her lawyer I'd be looking here for information.

And don't sign your children over.

Been there brother. No matter what she's telling you now, she's coming after all of it. And in Texas she'll get it.

Get that **** to a friend's house asap. Keep a few boxes of stuff in the house that you aren't partial to, or load up Hasbro Black Series from Target to keep at the house. 5 years for me and my kids still find pieces of my collection in their mom's attic that she hasn't sold yet.

Probably a good idea not to post value and other comments here as your wife seems clever enough to know about this site and if I was her lawyer I'd be looking here for information.

And don't sign your children over.

Oh she knows and has pretty much EVERYTHING on me... I can't hide anything from her, she has pics, videos, knows everything, they even talked to each other.

Back