DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Yeah... they look terrible. Yikes is right :lol

Glad I collected the whole line from DC Collectibles. It's probably the most complete we'll ever see.

These figures would have been perfect for the beginning of the Millenium to substitute the Kenner line. To put them out in 2020 after the DC Collectibles line, is setting toy design back 20 years.

What were they thinking? They should've hired Irene Matar, bought the molds from DC Collectibles and resold the line through retail in broader waves, with some new figures thrown in for those of us who have collected the line thus far. Now they'll have duds being peg warmers while preventing the DC Animated figures we're missing to ever be released.

giphy.gif

Ahhh.... just horrible

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

@whakojacko [emoji1787] Perfect gif!

These things look like upscaled, super-articulated Playskool figures. No thank you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The articulation is too much. The Timm designs don’t really work well with all that articulation. It’s just too much going on for designs that are supposed to look very simplistic in the first place. And I know that DCC used a lot of articulation in their figures too but it was better hidden or much less noticeable. It reminds me of when Mattel tried adding knee and elbow joints on their Justice League Unlimited figures only to drop it a few waves later. It was poorly done on those too. They looked much better at 5 POAs in that scale. Also these are just bad sculpts as far as representation of the BTAS/STAS/JLU goes. They’d be a bit more acceptable if they weren’t directly linked to those show designs.

@whakojacko [emoji1787] Perfect gif!

These things look like upscaled, super-articulated Playskool figures. No thank you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks. Believe me, that was my exact reaction when I pulled up that Batman pic. I just laughed lol.
And yeah I agree, these do have some kind of Playskool quality to them even in spite of the super-articulation. With that said, who are these going to marketed towards again? Serious question. I haven’t been paying too much attention to these so I’m not sure. I thought I understood it to be that these were for the collectors and that the Spin Master stuff was for the kids. Maybe they should trade up if that’s true.

I am going to be in the minority, the animate style figures are growing on me. Mostly Green Lantern and Superman. The sculpts don't really reflect the Bruce Timm art work much but rather closer to the Spawn animated style that they had a few years ago.
For the most part, fans of the animate series are better off with DC Collectibles. And considering how much characters have already been released by DCC. I don't think there's going to be a lot of support.

They look OK. I think GL looks the best. But I'm good with my DC Collectibles figures.

That said, someone must like them, because they are sold out at BBTS already.

They look OK. I think GL looks the best. But I'm good with my DC Collectibles figures.

Wasn't expecting that to happen. Quite surprising.

I'll give Todd one thing over DC Collectibles: his people remembered to give Bruce Timm Superman the cleft in his chin.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

At the time of me posting this they are available again via preorder.

McFarlane pulled a Sideshow Collectibles move by taking a character that were specifically stylized in a certain way for each show he was on (BTAS, TNBA, etc.), and merging it into one hybrid figure, which no one asked for. A real shame they didn't go all-out accurate and stay on-model at all.

DC Collectibles's BTAS figures may not have always been perfectly accurate all the time, but my appreciation for their efforts grew tenfold after seeing that McFarlane Batman figure. It's only made worse by the fact it comes with a mini poster taken directly from Batman: The Animated Series, making it apparent to even the most casual Batman collector how off-model this figure looks. Then only thing they got more accurate than DC Collectibles is the angular jawline, but I'd argue Kenner's 1992 figure's headsculpt still has the edge over both. Superman looks alright.

2 quick questions for everyone:

1. Is it just me or does that Batman look kind of like a mashup of the BTAS and TNBA Batman? The head to me looks more like it belongs to TNBA Batman.

2. If it is not too much to ask, can somebody please photoshop and post a pic of the Batman (and maybe Superman too) with the articulation taken out? Particularly the ab articulation. I’m curious to see if they look any better that way.

2 quick questions for everyone:

1. Is it just me or does that Batman look kind of like a mashup of the BTAS and TNBA Batman? The head to me looks more like it belongs to TNBA Batman.

2. If it is not too much to ask, can somebody please photoshop and post a pic of the Batman (and maybe Superman too) with the articulation taken out? Particularly the ab articulation. I’m curious to see if they look any better that way.

With Batman, the cape and the head doesn't quite match Bruce Timm's design.
As for the sculpts. It is affected by the articulation. It's not fair to just compare it with joints removed. It's how you pose them. If you don't want the articulation. Diamond has 9 inch PVC gallery statues.

It's not fair to just compare it with joints removed. It's how you pose them. If you don't want the articulation. Diamond has 9 inch PVC gallery statues.
I don't know, the DC Direct versions had pretty good articulation and they still remained pretty close to the original Timm designs. Especially with the Batman figs themselves. I won't go with the PVC statues, but I can still say that the McFarlane Animated Style figs don't really cut it for me.

With Batman, the cape and the head doesn't quite match Bruce Timm's design.
As for the sculpts. It is affected by the articulation. It's not fair to just compare it with joints removed. It's how you pose them. If you don't want the articulation. Diamond has 9 inch PVC gallery statues.
I know the sculpt is affected by the joints that’s the point of my request. Besides no amount of posing is going to help that Batman unless you turn him completely backwards. There are better and less noticeable ways to go about those particular points of articulation. Those wrist joints for one are ugly. And no I don’t have any interest in any statues whatsoever lol.

I think these would have gone over a little better if they had just been considered generic Batman/Superman/Harley figures. Trying to associate them with Animated series is kind of ridiculous. Again it’s an over complicated figure design of a simplistic cartoon design. It’s almost like having a Fred Flintstone or Yogi Bear or Peter Griffin action figure with ab crunch and double elbow joints and toe joints. It becomes too obvious. In my opinion it works better on designs that even in 2D are much more complex to begin with. Most of the other non-Animated figures from this series look pretty decent. But again much of this articulation can be done better.

For anyone that likes these, that’s great and I hope they enjoy them. Ultimately it doesn’t matter to me. Even before I saw the pictures I had zero intention of buying any of these. It wouldn’t have mattered who was making them or how they looked. I already have most of the old Kenner BTAS figures, Mattel’s JLU figures, and most recently, DCC’s BTAS/TNBA figures. I’m done with the Timm style figures for the foreseeable future unless DCC adds anything new to their existing line.

I don't know, the DC Direct versions had pretty good articulation and they still remained pretty close to the original Timm designs. Especially with the Batman figs themselves. I won't go with the PVC statues, but I can still say that the McFarlane Animated Style figs don't really cut it for me.
Exactly. The figures would be less affected by the articulation if it was just done better.

The worst part is that the last figures dcc released(Two face, scarecrow, grey ghost...) were the best to date, articulation really improved, they stay on their feet without bases and really cool accesories, looked like the nailed the formula. So they could have milked the cow with some of the missing characters or even from superman the animated series, can't believe these mcfarlene figures that look so cheap plastic and off character will do better in selling numbers.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk

The worst part is that the last figures dcc released(Two face, scarecrow, grey ghost...) were the best to date, articulation really improved, they stay on their feet without bases and really cool accesories, looked like the nailed the formula. So they could have milked the cow with some of the missing characters or even from superman the animated series, can't believe these mcfarlene figures that look so cheap plastic and off character will do better in selling numbers.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 7 mediante Tapatalk
I think DCC could have or still can put out a small number of BTAS/TNBA figures like TNBA Penguin, Clayface, Mad Hatter, Ventriloquist and maybe a few others. After those I think most other characters become much tougher to sell (take Roxy Rocket and Montoya as examples). Regardless of whether McFarlane would have come along with their line or not the BTAS and TNBA lines were pretty much done at DCC.

I think McFarlane’s Animated figures are ugly. That being said, it kind of makes sense for them to make their versions strikingly different from the previous Animated offerings from DCC. If they looked exactly like DCC’s why would anyone that already has those need to buy these? It’s also unlikely that McFarlane is going to add many characters that DCC didn’t do to supplement our DCC collections. Like I said above, DCC already did most of the characters that were likely to sell the best. McFarlane probably isn’t going to make Rupert Thorne or Red Claw or Kyodai Ken either. Of course, this then all goes back to the question: Why make BTAS and TNBA figures yet again anyhow? It’s a line that’s based on a show that hasn’t aired new episodes on TV for over 20 years and someone else just ran a line of these figures so recently. Is it really time to revisit them again? Although, I guess we’ll see in time how extensive the Animated part of this line becomes.

I am holding out hope that McFarlane makes a good Batman Beyond figure that doesn’t have ugly wings.

Back