DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

I think DCC could have or still can put out a small number of BTAS/TNBA figures like TNBA Penguin, Clayface, Mad Hatter, Ventriloquist and maybe a few others. After those I think most other characters become much tougher to sell (take Roxy Rocket and Montoya as examples). Regardless of whether McFarlane would have come along with their line or not the BTAS and TNBA lines were pretty much done at DCC.

I think McFarlane?s Animated figures are ugly. That being said, it kind of makes sense for them to make their versions strikingly different from the previous Animated offerings from DCC. If they looked exactly like DCC?s why would anyone that already has those need to buy these? It?s also unlikely that McFarlane is going to add many characters that DCC didn?t do to supplement our DCC collections. Like I said above, DCC already did most of the characters that were likely to sell the best. McFarlane probably isn?t going to make Rupert Thorne or Red Claw or Kyodai Ken either. Of course, this then all goes back to the question: Why make BTAS and TNBA figures yet again anyhow? It?s a line that?s based on a show that hasn?t aired new episodes on TV for over 20 years and someone else just ran a line of these figures so recently. Is it really time to revisit them again? Although, I guess we?ll see in time how extensive the Animated part of this line becomes.

I completely agree with you

DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

I am holding out hope that McFarlane makes a good Batman Beyond figure that doesn?t have ugly wings.

Those wings are the reason I passed on the set when I saw it at my LCS. Ive regretted that decision because of the price-hike on the aftermarket. Maybe Todd can make a better looking one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh yeah DCC’s Batman Beyond wasn’t their best effort. The figure was a bit too small and yes those wings were pretty bad. I don’t even display mine with them.

Those wings are the reason I passed on the set when I saw it at my LCS. Ive regretted that decision because of the price-hike on the aftermarket. Maybe Todd can make a better looking one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Based on what we're seeing, I doubt it.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Those animated figures are atrocious. Nuff' said.

After seeing how badly McFarlane Toys butchered the Harry Potter first wave of figures
(poor paint, poor sculpt, mis-matching plastic colors and a teeny-tiny Buckbeak)... this should really
come as no surprise to anyone. Even when it was first announced, I did not get it.

I would have rather they picked the traditional comic looks for each character and delivered a definitive
7" figure with a killer sculpt and paint. Articulation be damned at that point.

But if you are DC Comics, why McFarlane Toys? I get Spinmaster for the crappy shampoo bottle figures
and other things aimed at the ages 5-8 crowd... but DC Collectibles has been doing better than this offering
for years now. In all honesty I have no skin in the game here, I fell out of collecting DC figures 6 years ago.
But the Four Horsemen/Mattel and DCC put forth way better effort than this crap.

Last edited:

Those animated figures are atrocious. Nuff' said.

After seeing how badly McFarlane Toys butchered the Harry Potter first wave of figures
(poor paint, poor sculpt, mis-matching plastic colors and a teeny-tiny Buckbeak)... this should really
come as no surprise to anyone. Even when it was first announced, I did not get it.

I would have rather they picked the traditional comic looks for each character and delivered a definitive
7" figure with a killer sculpt and paint. Articulation be damned at that point.

But if you are DC Comics, why McFarlane Toys? I get Spinmaster for the crappy shampoo bottle figures
and other things aimed at the ages 5-8 crowd... but DC Collectibles has been doing better than this offering
for years now. In all honesty I have no skin in the game here, I fell out of collecting DC figures 6 years ago.
But the Four Horsemen/Mattel and DCC put forth way better effort than this crap.

I'm sorry but these look a lot better than what Mattel has been giving us. And best of all, at least I know where to buy them where Mattel shows prototypes but they screwed up to a point that it's hard to find them at retail because because noone wants to stock them.

I think it's only the initial reaction and people will have a better opinion once they have toys in hand or see them in stores. The sculpts are good and better than what Mattel has offered. At least I see a lot of new tooling per figure instead of reusing parts. That being said, there are for sure room for improvement.

I'm curious if McFarlane will be doing build a figures or just deluxe figures like they are doing with they Fortnite line. As a collector, I find McFarlane toys way more promising than what Mattel can offer. DC Collectibles seems like they really don't care about action figures. Not sure if it's sale and profits but you can see their Essentials line is a complete waste of potentials considering it's not learning anything from the Icons line.

I'm sorry but these look a lot better than what Mattel has been giving us. And best of all, at least I know where to buy them where Mattel shows prototypes but they screwed up to a point that it's hard to find them at retail because because noone wants to stock them.

I think it's only the initial reaction and people will have a better opinion once they have toys in hand or see them in stores. The sculpts are good and better than what Mattel has offered. At least I see a lot of new tooling per figure instead of reusing parts. That being said, there are for sure room for improvement.

I'm curious if McFarlane will be doing build a figures or just deluxe figures like they are doing with they Fortnite line. As a collector, I find McFarlane toys way more promising than what Mattel can offer. DC Collectibles seems like they really don't care about action figures. Not sure if it's sale and profits but you can see their Essentials line is a complete waste of potentials considering it's not learning anything from the Icons line.
You can build a batmobile that's not at all in scale with any of the figures.

The simple story is, I have over god knows how many figures from the animated line, infact all that were produced, and these new ones just simply look cheap and most importantly not in scale, (which is a bit of a shame, as some might of been actually nice) I simply wont be buying these because of that. The question I ask will there be anymore animated stuff in our scale, even characters that werent in the shows, but done to the standards of DC collectabiles, because thats stuff I dont mind buying......

....The question I ask will there be anymore animated stuff in our scale, even characters that werent in the shows, but done to the standards of DC collectabiles, because thats stuff I dont mind buying......

DC Collectibles is still going with the animated line, although the focus now appears to be on characters who did not appear in the cartoons for new figures.

I've been watching several reviews on YouTube. Even though the figs are in no way comparable to the original designs, I now get the appeal. They are definitely better sculpted and thought out than what Mattel had been releasing. Bummer on the scale, but they do seem to be excepcional pieces when stacked next to each other.

My Killer Croc arrived from DCBS with a broken lower jaw. It was completely off and just rattling around in the package. Can it be reattached or should I ask for a replacement?

I've been watching several reviews on YouTube. Even though the figs are in no way comparable to the original designs, I now get the appeal. They are definitely better sculpted and thought out than what Mattel had been releasing. Bummer on the scale, but they do seem to be excepcional pieces when stacked next to each other.

All the reviews I watched on YouTube were mostly negative. They actually made me dislike some of the figures that I previously thought were ok after they pointed certain things out lol. Although I didn?t closely examine a lot of the non-animated figures so maybe that?s why. Also one of the figures the one reviewer thought was pretty good was Animated Batman which was surprising since he didn?t seem too big on almost anyone else. Go figure.

*EDIT*

https://youtu.be/C2hRvBIiKq4
This was one of the reviews I was talking about. He points some things out about the sculpts and articulation from the press release pics. Keep in mind this is not an in hand review.

My Killer Croc arrived from DCBS with a broken lower jaw. It was completely off and just rattling around in the package. Can it be reattached or should I ask for a replacement?

I would contact DCBS and ask whether it?s ok to open and attempt to fix and if you can?t fix it if you can return it now that it?s open or if you need to return it unopened.

https://youtu.be/C2hRvBIiKq4
This was one of the reviews I was talking about. He points some things out about the sculpts and articulation from the press release pics. Keep in mind this is not an in hand review.

Lol, Antony's customs xDDD I love that guy reviews, I think is the most honest, most of reviewers just looks for samples and are clearly a** kissers... ^^"

*not saying that because I've did his avatars drawings :D

I'm buying the "BTAS" McF figure to modify it, because I see something there, under all that "unique take". I threw this photoshop together quickly with my vision. Fix the eyes, the mouth opening, the gloves, thicken the calves a bit, smooth out the oval emblem, repaint... maybe sharpen the toes a bit... and there's fundamentally a FANTASTIC TNBA Batman there.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-14-at-4-50-07-AM.png

I much prefer the TNBA Batman design as far as animation goes. That the McF hybrid style really leans into it, to make this fix up relatively easy.

So easy in fact, that I'm wondering if McF is even doing something similar down the line with a chase figure of this version or in the next 2-3 waves.

Lol, Antony's customs xDDD I love that guy reviews, I think is the most honest, most of reviewers just looks for samples and are clearly a** kissers... ^^"

*not saying that because I've did his avatars drawings :D

Ha that’s awesome :)
I did feel his critiques of the figures were very honest even though I disagreed with part of his assessment of Animated Batman. Some of these reviewers seem like they try a little too hard to avoid certain issues with the toys or sometimes provide some pretty flimsy sounding excuses for the issues. Although she doesn’t really cover this kind of stuff, I really like 3rd Earth Reviews on YouTube. She mostly covers stuff from Thundercats and Masters of the Universe but she doesn’t B.S. If there are paint flaws or issues with poseability she always points it out.

I'm buying the "BTAS" McF figure to modify it, because I see something there, under all that "unique take". I threw this photoshop together quickly with my vision. Fix the eyes, the mouth opening, the gloves, thicken the calves a bit, smooth out the oval emblem, repaint... maybe sharpen the toes a bit... and there's fundamentally a FANTASTIC TNBA Batman there.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-14-at-4-50-07-AM.png
That really looks great even with the articulation left in place which is interesting. I mean that really looks great. I would actually consider buying that if I didn’t already own the DCC stuff. I seriously laughed at unedited official pics of this Batman but that looks way better. Too bad this isn’t what they released.

I thought I was out of luck on getting the batcave set. My amazon order got cancelled a few months ago, I know bbts had it in stock for the longest time, but they was charging around $80ish for shipping. I received an email from midtowncomics 20% off flash sale and they had 1 more left in stock. $168 shipped. Hope this order goes through and not get cancelled.

I just saw the MT’s JLU Green Lantern and Animated Superman and Harley a few days ago at Walmart. I was hoping to see Animated Batman too but no luck. In my head 7 inches didn’t seem like it would be a huge difference from 6 but in person I thought the figures looked massive. I wasn’t overly impressed by any of what I saw although GL’s head looked pretty good. So I can’t say my opinion of the figures really changed for the better or worse.

Back