DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

That's very interesting. Forgive my ignorance (I really don't know nothing about animation X_X), but for remaster in HD they would need the original genuine production arts like this? :D https://www.ebay.it/itm/Batman-The-...510253?hash=item51f3ac5c2d:g:60IAAOSwTglYk4TM

Not exactly.. like WGD mentioned if they remastered it in HD they might lose the quality of the film portraying a dark classic moody grainy uniqueness to it because remastering seems to clean up and sharpen but the side effect is it lightens and illuminates animation. So maybe the quality that we find unique in TAS might be compromised if it went to HD quality

Yes, it was.
But if you count the "lost episode" from the SEGA game as a BTAS episode, he was brought back to life before TNBA. :wink1:

I love that episode! Shame we can get it in HD, tye animation was so good! (I remember Ivy's hair being extra flowy)

Years ago, there were rumors that Disney, after the newfound success of computer animated films like Toy Story, was thinking about re-animating some of their classic films. They'd keep the soundtrack – voice acting, sound effects, score –*but completely replace the visuals. They'd match the storyboards and character designs but take full advantage of 3D-rendered backgrounds and shading, etc. (They opted to completely remake those films using live-action and CGI.)

It would be an interesting experiment to take an episode of Batman (like "On Leather Wings" or "Feat of Clay") and keep the audio but redo the animation with contemporary technology.

Exactly.
However, Disney has done a amazing job reworking on older cartoons like Snow White (1937!!!!), Peter Pan (1953) and such. I don't know how those old Disney movies were done at their time, but somehow they managed to release them on blu-ray in a amazing way. Image and sound are crystal clear.
Still, they destroyed Lion King (1994). Go figure.

I don't know with which technology Snow White was done, but I would guess BTAS had a better technology, since Timm, Dini etc were already in the 90s, right?
Judging by the fact that even older cartoons are having BD releases, one would say it could possible for BTAS to be released on blu-ray too. But who knows.

The big difference here is film vs video.

All those old Disney movies were captured and edited on film which has an original negative that can be cleaned up and restored. And film is independent of video "resolution," and therefore be fairly easily transferred to a (1080p) blu-ray release.

While the individual frames were captured by film, TAS was most likely edited with and for video (480i). So, while the Amazon versions seem to just the DVDs, the original files would most likely not be much better.

The only way to produce a true 1080p version would be to re-edit the episodes using the original animation stills.

Years ago, there were rumors that Disney, after the newfound success of computer animated films like Toy Story, was thinking about re-animating some of their classic films. They'd keep the soundtrack – voice acting, sound effects, score –*but completely replace the visuals. They'd match the storyboards and character designs but take full advantage of 3D-rendered backgrounds and shading, etc. (They opted to completely remake those films using live-action and CGI.)

It would be an interesting experiment to take an episode of Batman (like "On Leather Wings" or "Feat of Clay") and keep the audio but redo the animation with contemporary technology.

Like this?

https://vimeo.com/187255111

All those old Disney movies were captured and edited on film which has an original negative that can be cleaned up and restored. And film is independent of video "resolution," and therefore be fairly easily transferred to a (1080p) blu-ray release.

While the individual frames were captured by film, TAS was most likely edited with and for video (480i). So, while the Amazon versions seem to just the DVDs, the original files would most likely not be much better.

The only way to produce a true 1080p version would be to re-edit the episodes using the original animation stills.

If only that "HD in one click" C.S.I.'s software really existed... all would be easier, right? xDDD

Bingo. The cost and effort (we are talking years of work) will outweigh the money made on them being released.

That reason of cost/time v profit was recently given for why Star Trek Deep Space Nine will never receive the HD treatment like Next Generation did.

Part of me would love to see a remastered BTAS but the other part knows that by cleaning it up, the series would lose a lot of its charm and 1930's noir feeling. The grain, dirt, and the uneven and at times poor lighting are all part of it's character.

Fall. It debuted on September 5, 1992, with "The Cat and the Claw: Part 1".

"Christmas" went on to be aired on Nov. 13 of that year.

BTAS will celebrate its 25th anniversary this year. Hope Warner/DC are planning something special.

Back Issue magazine #99 from TwoMorrows is dedicated to the 25th Anniversary. There's articles on the show, the Batman Adventures comic - and the Adventures titles, the toys and a tribute to Mike Parobeck.

https://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=98_54&products_id=1292

Happy to see my Girls Night Out pack shipped from DCBS. So does anybody have any links to any reviews on YouTube for this set?

tumblr_o82h7bcnPW1tp6rxbo1_1280.jpg

After Disney destroyed The Lion King with its blu-ray release, I'm terrified of what could happen to BTAS.

I have The Lion King DVD, and haven't felt the need to upgrade that one to Bluray. I haven't read anything about that Bluray. What's wrong with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That nothing to fear poster is actually from Mondo. Luckily its one of the 2 Mondo posters i own.

Just picked up the Girls Night Out pack and have to say the scale on these figures is all over the map. I still can't get over how huge Poison Ivy and Supergirl's heads are. Meanwhile Batgirl and Livewire are in a smaller scale. I just don't get it. How can DC not keep things in scale. It's like there is no communication between the sculptors and no one in charge to double check. :\

Just picked up the Girls Night Out pack and have to say the scale on these figures is all over the map. I still can't get over how huge Poison Ivy and Supergirl's heads are. Meanwhile Batgirl and Livewire are in a smaller scale. I just don't get it. How can DC not keep things in scale. It's like there is no communication between the sculptors and no one in charge to double check. :\

How exactly are they out of scale? Did you expect them to be the same height for some reason?

Nice one! Congrat!

Cheers. I gave up on this line when it first came out. The peg holes ruined Catwoman and Batman, I had feet breaks on 2 different Batman figures. I only had Catwoman, Freeze, Two-face and Manbat. Thanks finding a ton of figures cheap my passion for the BTAS line has rocketed. Are there any lists around of figures? Ive got 11 figures and the Batmobile upto yet. Im hoping im not too late to get some figures. Especially if theyve been inflates like the original Arkham Asylum lines.

Back