David Ayer's Academy Award winning "Suicide Squad"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC's "Suicide Squad" (August 5th, 2016)

2nd viewing today, and it was still awesome!!

Took my wife with me this time, who is not a comic book fan. And she loved it!

She liked the Joker which I was afraid she wouldn't. She said he was great and was very intense on screen.

She liked the introduction bit where it shows how some of the got caught and maybe they should have shown how the others got caught as well.

The film is very fast pacing, I can't believe it's a 2 hour film, feels a lot less.

I will recommend this to my mates and will go and see it for the third time.

Deffo didn't feel like 2 hours.

I don't think the joker really has a sexual preference.

He's just a sadist and doesn't care if the person involved is male or female.

Implying he isn't boning Harley on the reg.

Implying he doesn't want to bang Batfleck.

My gut says average but I really want to like it. Maybe more viewings are needed.

I agree with a lot of the critisim but I actually would like a Harley Mr J stand alone. They had a b grade Scarface quality about them (to me) so I wouldn't mind watching more....not much else to add that hasn't already been mentioned. I'd give it a B- or C+

Good job nerds:

For the third time this year a superhero movie has broken an opening weekend record and with it a continuing trend that finds the previous week's box office champion suffering a hefty second weekend drop. This time around it's Warner Bros' Suicide Squad decimating the previous August opening weekend record by more than $40 million while Universal's Jason Bourne experiences a 62% drop in its sophomore session. That said, with the top twelve totaling a massive $223.9 million, this weekend's top twelve was up a whopping 87% compared to the same weekend last year. In fact, this is the first time this calendar weekend has ever grossed over $190 million, let alone cracked the $200 million mark.

Finishing in first place with an estimated $135.1 million, Warner Bros. and DC Comics' Suicide Squad now holds the largest August opening weekend, topping Guardians of the Galaxy's $94.3 million from 2014. The film also had the largest August opening day with $65.2 million, which included the largest August Thursday preview total of $20.5 million. Combined with a $132 million international opening from 57 territories, the film's global opening haul ranks 24th all-time with $267.1 million, topping Deadpool's worldwide opening of $264.7 million earlier this year, which opened in 63 international markets.

Budgeted at $175 million, the film's theatrical longevity now comes into question as it holds a mere 26% rating on RottenTomatoes and could be looking at a steep, 65+% drop next weekend. Earlier this year, fellow DC Extended Universe release Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice opened with a record-breaking $166 million only to end up dropping 69.1% in its second weekend and ultimately only delivering $330.3 million domestically, a 1.99 multiplier, the worst multiplier for a film opening over $100 million ever.

Suicide Squad did score a "B+" CinemaScore, which is slightly higher than Batman v Superman's "B", but that's hardly enough to make much of a difference. It's current 7.1 rating on IMDb is, however, lower than the 7.5 Batman v Superman had at the same point in its release cycle as audiences seem to be having a similar reaction to the film as they did its DC predecessor. From an audience perspective, the audience was 54% male vs. 46% female with women rating the film an "A-" on the CinemaScore scale versus a "B+" from the men. Interestingly enough, IMDb's user voting currently shows a similar trend with females scoring the film 7.3 vs. males scoring it with a 6.9. Additionally, 54% of the audience was under the age of 25 and 76% of the audience was under the age of 35.

Of the film's opening weekend haul, $11 million came from 382 IMAX screens, $13 million from Premium Large Format (PLF) screens and another $3.2 million from Extreme Digital (XD) theaters.

Looking ahead, in all likelihood it seems safe to expect a drop around 67% or more next weekend with a strong possibility Suicide Squad may finish with a multiplier right around 2.22, pushing hard for a $300 million domestic run, perhaps coming up a bit short.

Saw it for the first time tonight, after much anticipation, and I really enjoyed it. Will Smith and Margot Robbie definitely carried the entire film, but for me that was certainly not a bad thing! Overall, it was fun and I'll deffo be watching it again! :clap

Just got back from my second viewing with some friends who didn't go on Friday...yup, still a fun movie! :yess:

Sweet, I'm definitely looking forward to a second viewing and have a feeling that it will be one of the most rewatchable films of 2016.

Also glad to see that the majority of Freaks weighing in have positive reactions and aren't being swayed by the complaints of a couple millennial Trank/Nolanites. :monkey3

More about the deleted scenes.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/suic...deleted-scenes-from-suicide-squad-has-a144304

The story begins with June Moone investigating the caves. She'd being haunted by nightmares of a woman. She's travelled half way around the world to search for something that potentially may not exist. She knows the name 'Enchantress'. She is accompanied by two people, Manuel and Luis, mountain guides she has worked with for several years. She can also speak Spanish. The mountain guides refuse to go into the cave with her. It seems like June has been plagued by these dreams for a long time.
• The story then goes to Arkham Asylum where it has been a peaceful night, until masked thugs descend from helicopters into the courtyard. They kill all the guards. The thugs are looking specifically for Harleen. "Doctor Quinzel. How nice of you to join us. You're looking... good enough to eat. Figuratively speaking, of course. I'm strictly vegan. At least today". The Joker then implies that the electroshock therapy is revenge for her doing it to him, and 'scorching what few dead and faded memories I had into a sizzling knot...'. In the film Harley seems to not fear the Joker but in here she's pleading for him to let her go. But then she starts to enjoy it, asking for more pain and pleasure.
• Then we go to Deadshot who is out in town. He gives coupons to homeless men and then watches them scramble to get them. We get the scene with him preparing to shoot the guy.
• Then we get the club scene which is largely unchanged.
• A scene with Deadshot and his daughter that was in the movie, but also him arguing with his ex-wife, and then Batman.
• Then the Joker and Harley in the car. We find out why the track is called 'You can't make my teeth hurt' and the line 'Hope you've got insurance'. The Joker doesn't give a **** and laughs at the fact that he drives into Gotham river leaving Harley to die. Batman says 'Joker took something important from me. It's my turn'.
• Then Harley in Belle Reve and Deadshot, being taken by Griggs.
• The Ace Chemicals scene is extended. It's implied the Joker makes her jump off as a joke, but then changes his mind similar to the film.
• He (Joker) manages to jump out of the helicopter. The helicopter crashes into a bank building. He laughs knowing that money is burning inside. 'God, I love the smell of burning cash in the morning'. I haven't read up to there yet but from a search it appears that he's not in it after that which I find confusing. I'll keep reading. The story has the same ending, though, with the Joker breaking Harley out.
• Description of the extended Ace Chemicals scene: The scene goes as follows: ◦ Joker points down towards the vats.
◦ Joker: "There. I was born down there."
◦ Harley stares down. She desperately wants the same.
◦ Joker: "Would you die for me?"
◦ Harley nods.
◦ Harley: "Yes."
◦ Joker: "No... that's too easy. Would you live for me?"
◦ Joker smiles, scaring her.
◦ Joker: "Will you embrace me, and only me?"
◦ Harley nods vigorously.
◦ Joker: "Will you bind your spirit to mine... in hate? Do you consign your soul to me? Do you laugh at the world in disgust?"
◦ Harley: "...yes."
◦ Joker: "Do not say this oath thoughtlessly. Desire becomes surrender. Surrender becomes power. Do you want it? Do you really want it?"
◦ Harley: "I do. I do."
◦ Joker: "Then goodbye, Doctor Quinzel."
◦ Joker gestures towards the edge of the vat. Without hesitation she jumps.
◦ Joker thinks "She's gone, forever. Problem solved." He pauses and touches his chest. He feels something. Love? Of course not. He couldn't see her floating face down and dying. Which was the original plan. He jumps down.

Saw it for the first time tonight, after much anticipation, and I really enjoyed it. Will Smith and Margot Robbie definitely carried the entire film, but for me that was certainly not a bad thing! Overall, it was fun and I'll deffo be watching it again! :clap

When hiring two big stars it's not a bad thing them carrying the movie. You need your biggest assets to deliver and luckily the support cast did a good job, some characters could have done with more fleshing out but with the movie being so fast paced the did a good job overall.

I got a kick out of Boomerang and, though he was barely present, Croc. Even without a ton of dialogue I found Diablo's melancholy/serenity more compelling than all the blah-blah-blah in two movies' worth of Hopeman's sadz.

I got a kick out of Boomerang and, though he was barely present, Croc. Even without a ton of dialogue I found Diablo's melancholy/serenity more compelling than all the blah-blah-blah in two movies' worth of Hopeman's sadz.

Forgot to mention - Diablo's fire demon thing was pretty cool. Need to get a better look at that.

I really liked the designs of the big-bads. I especially enjoyed the subway attack.

When hiring two big stars it's not a bad thing them carrying the movie. You need your biggest assets to deliver and luckily the support cast did a good job, some characters could have done with more fleshing out but with the movie being so fast paced the did a good job overall.

I agree that it would've been nice to see a bit of character development with some of the others, but the film didn't suffer because of that. I went to see it mainly for Harley and she didn't disappoint. As for the Joker, he was both creepy and compelling, and I loved that!

Finally saw this movie tonight.

Some quick thoughts...

Did I enjoy it: Yes!

Would I happily watch it again: Yes.

The Joker: Leto did well with how he was asked to work within the story. With him not being an active antagonist in the main story it's hard to judge him against past Joker's. He's bascially the catalyst that drives Harley's back story throughout the movie and offers her an escape route in the present timeline. It lefting me wanting to see more of him as the main villian in future movies.

*Deadshot - past and present. Will Smith delivered.
*Harley - She's a love her or you're content with her sort of character. I thought she was great. Margot owned that character.
*End fight - Reminded me of the Ghostbusters vs Gozer. I'm not comparing the two, I just got the same vibes. The fight against Enchantress in her free Witch form was cool.
*The bar scene - could have watched that for another good 5-10 minutes easily, some good character building there. Seems like that scene was shortened?...
*Music - for me it all worked, none of it felt out of place and Kanye showing up made that Deadshot scene even better.
*I like that the main part of the movie played out in one location over a short amount of time - it felt contained.
*Mid-credits scene - Bruce Wayne, need I say more?! :rock

Whilst not a major dislike I didn't care for the brother; design wise or role really. Might have been cooler if Enchantress had some co-demons or something as backup. It's hard to judge villains these days as between Marvel & DC it seems like they have a hard time delivering something that could be considered a great villain.

Overall score - 7.5/10. Although I've given movies 8/9's before and never watched them again. Suicide Squad is one of those fun movies that would be an fun and easy watch from time to time.

:peace
I agree with most of what you said except for the Joker and Kanye.:monkey4

I agree that it would've been nice to see a bit of character development with some of the others, but the film didn't suffer because of that. I went to see it mainly for Harley and she didn't disappoint. As for the Joker, he was both creepy and compelling, and I loved that!

And totally non-gay! :lol

Sweet, I'm definitely looking forward to a second viewing and have a feeling that it will be one of the most rewatchable films of 2016.

Also glad to see that the majority of Freaks weighing in have positive reactions and aren't being swayed by the complaints of a couple millennial Trank/Nolanites. :monkey3

Damn, Difabio you gonna take that?:monkey3

Editing was a mess. :lol So much stuff in the trailers that didn't show up in the movie. :lol

But I liked it.

Will Smith. Just like Affleck and Gadot, the Fresh Prince was bashed non-stop, but turned out to be pretty damn good.

Killer Croc was awesome. Where the fauk is his Hot Toys????

Harley was good. Voice could have had a bit more New York in it, but it worked.

And I liked the Joker, what little time he was shown. I liked that he was clearly insane. Something Ledgers was not.

Boomerang. Didn't have a whole lot of screen time, but Jai Courtney finally found a role his was good in.

I dug Katana.

Diablo was kewl.

Amanda Waller was brutal. Perfect!

Enchantress was nice. Dispatched a little to easy.

Slipknot, knew his ass was going to be the first one dispatched. :lol

Flag was serviceable.

Scott Eastwood turned out to be soldier extra. :dunno

7.5/10

Bring on WW.

Back