David Ayer's Academy Award winning "Suicide Squad"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC's "Suicide Squad" (August 5th, 2016)

For me, these WB/DC movies have been going on a downward spiral starting with TDKR.

- Hyped for TDKR, turned out awful
- Hyped for Man of Steel, terrible experience
- Hyped for BvS, major disappointment
- Flat out didn't care about Suicide Squad, garbage movie

The last WB/DC film that lived up to the hype from beginning to end was The Dark Knight. Everything from the trailers to the posters to the marketing campaign to opening night just felt right. I'll never get excited for one of their movies ever again. They've lost me.

https://m.ign.com/articles/2016/08/05/jared-leto-unsure-about-jokers-journey-in-suicide-squad?read

Anyone seen this? Leto pretty much doesn't even know what happened with this film. He confirms a ton of scenes got cut but you can tell he's angry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was just going to post this but ya beat me to it! :lol

Yup. No way would he put in all that effort for less than 10 mins of footage. Most of his scenes probably did my fit the new tone they decided to go with. I don't feel sorry for the guy, but that's got to be a bummer, especially when you put that much work into your scenes, which he undoubtedly did.

Last edited:

Yea, I think if the cast continue on talking about cut content we might see an "Ayer Edition".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. No way would he put in all that effort for less than 10 mins of footage. Most of his scenes probably did my fit the new tone they decided to go with. I don't feel sorry for the guy, but that's got to be a bummer, especially when you put that much work into your scenes, which he undoubtedly did.

If all the Joker scenes hadn't have been cut out Leto possibly might have had the same screen time Ledger got. It all adds up to the lastly impression.

:dunnoNolan gave up towards the end? whhhhaaat? For me TDKR is better than any Marvel movie ever made with the only one that comes close is Winter Solider for me. Nolan captured every essence of 75+ years of Batman in the trilogy which i think is an extremely difficult thing to do. He brought non-comic book fans in. The World Wide praise for his trilogy is beyond almost every movie other than Star Wars. If people really don't like TDKR, i think they are in a very very small minority.

I'll be seeing SSquad tomorrow which i can't wait!!! Its been killing me that all these reviews are out and I can't really comment back to them because I haven't seen it yet. I do feel something is going on with the critics and DC films. Fan reaction is so far much stronger for the film, which to me is what really matters.

You are SO right! Glad to see you back posting!
TDKR better than 80% of the Marvel films and far better than CW- a vanilla -blended family fare excuse to make an Avengers film with an "edge" that copped out at the end.
I love the DCU films and flawed as they may be I still prefer the tone and execution better than stuff like AoU and IM2 etc...

I'd bet money that most of the Joker scenes that got cut involved violent and abusive Harley stuff.

The bearskin/grape soda ending with Joker breaking her out is also not the real end. They tacked that on last minute. There was alternate footage of that scene where Leto as the Joker was dropping F and C-bombs on Harley, back when they were contemplating an R-rating (batfan, Gaspar). Let's not forget that Joker was badly scarred and burned after that helicopter crash (another omission) which, continuity wise, would make that scene of him busting her out in the end out of order since he's clean there.

Maybe the only way to tone down the film was to cut out most of Leto.

Last edited:

I thought the main problem is that it tried to do too many things. It tried to appeal to casual movie goers and comic fans and ended up doing neither. I still enjoyed it though except for the last 30 minutes which were stupid IMO. Solid 5/10. Hoping there is an ultimate cut.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I'd bet money that most of the Joker scenes that got cut involved violent and abusive Harley stuff.

The bearskin/grape soda ending with Joker breaking her out is also not the real end. They tacked that on last minute. There was alternate footage of that scene where Leto as the Joker was dropping F and C-bombs on Harley, back when they were contemplating an R-rating. Let's not forget that Joker was badly scarred and burned after that helicopter crash (another omission) which, continuity wise, would make that scene of him busting her out in the end out of order since he's clean.

Maybe the only way to tone down the film was to cut out most of Leto.

Do you think putting those scenes back in would make it a better/different movie?

I can do the same with Marvel though

hyped for Ultron....awful
hyped for IM3....really awful.
hyped for IM2....not very good except Black Widow was very cool.
hyped for Civil War.....eh, i was disappointed. missed oppotunities.
hyped Thor DW.....meh movie, kind of forgettable.

Avengers
First Avenger
Winter Soldier
IM1

those to me are their best, yet none of them touch BB, TDK or TDKR for me. Winter Solider comes the closest.

GoTG....it was enjoyable, but i really have no interest in these characters.
Deadpool....this movie was not for me, I don't like his character and not a RR fan, but i can see the appeal and why people liked it.

its all just our personal tastes. :)

For me, these WB/DC movies have been going on a downward spiral starting with TDKR.

- Hyped for TDKR, sucked balls.
- Hyped for Man of Steel, terrible experience
- Hyped for BvS, major disappointment
- Flat out didn't care about Suicide Squad, garbage movie

The last WB/DC film that lived up to the hype from beginning to end was The Dark Knight. Everything from the trailers to the posters to the marketing campaign to opening night just felt right. I'll never get excited for one of their movies ever again. They've lost me.

I'm super glad they toned down the abusive relationship. At the end of it, she wasn't a victim and they were both crazy about the other.

I wish they would have re-filmed some key scenes for them so they would still have more screen time.

Do you think putting those scenes back in would make it a better/different movie?

It was B-roll material so I have no idea. It's obvious they'd never go with such a crass Joker though so who knows if the film would benefit from it. There's even more outside the stuff omitted that we've seen from the trailers, we'd have to see them all reinserted to know for sure.

I'm super glad they toned down the abusive relationship. At the end of it, she wasn't a victim and they were both crazy about the other.
That's not really true, maybe you're talking about the movie, but their relationship is supposed to be very abusive, the Joker doesn't love her. Maybe Joker shows some kind of attachment every now and then, most likely egomaniac, but it isn't love.

I get most girls glamorize Harley and her teenage-like enamorment for the Joker, but most of these girls really have no clue about the characters.

I don't think it should be glamorized, I think it should be nasty, theirs is a nasty and sick relationship, all the stuff that was cut sounded great.

Yeah it's crazy they even cut out key joker scenes from the trailers.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I feel like he was enamored with her in the film. I know he doesn't give two ****s about her from the animated series and the comics and their relationship is very abusive. In the film, it felt more like they were a mob couple...

Spoiler Spoiler:

That's not really true, maybe you're talking about the movie, but their relationship is supposed to be very abusive, the Joker doesn't love her. Maybe Joker shows some kind of attachment every now and then, most likely egomaniac, but it isn't love.

I get most girls glamorize Harley and her teenage-like enamorment for the Joker, but most of these girls really have no clue about the characters.

I don't think it should be glamorized, I think it should be nasty, theirs is a nasty and sick relationship, all the stuff that was cut sounded great.

Yeah, I have always looked at their relationship as being very one-sided. Joker tolerates Harley at best. He corrupted her and it is something he can lord over Batman, but she merely amuses him.

And before the film released and the reshoots happened, Ayer talked a great deal about how he felt their relationship was toxic and that Harley's arc was about her finding her own path away from Joker. Becoming independent of him despite all the things he's done to her. It doesn't sound like this is the final product of the film. I will see it tonight.

I feel like he was enamored with her in the film. I know he doesn't give two ****s about her from the animated series and the comics and their relationship is very abusive. In the film, it felt more like they were a mob couple...

Spoiler Spoiler:
Oh ok, yeah if the movie works a bit different it could work.

But I still think it could be an egomaniac attachment on behalf of the Joker.

Did you like it? Angry Joe's review gave me some excitement so I'll be seeing this next week.

Yeah, I have always looked at their relationship as being very one-sided. Joker tolerates Harley at best. He corrupted her and it is something he can lord over Batman, but she merely amuses him.

And before the film released and the reshoots happened, Ayer talked a great deal about how he felt their relationship was toxic and that Harley's arc was about her finding her own path away from Joker. Becoming independent of him despite all the things he's done to her. It doesn't sound like this is the final product of the film. I will see it tonight.
It really sounds like this is another F4stick case of studio intervention, but Ayer seems to be rolling with it for some reason.

:goodpost: .... Problem is they (movie studios) are afraid to offend people if they actually portray the relationship between Joker & Harley as it has been in the comics for years. Even with an "R" rating, there would've been many outspoken people about how it's inappropriate to show on film, even though it's still a problem in the "real world" with many people being in abusive relationships. But if we ignore it it'll go away. Too many people would think the opposite and feel it's being glamorized as opposed to showing how awful it really is....

Back