David Ayer's Academy Award winning "Suicide Squad"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC's "Suicide Squad" (August 5th, 2016)

Saw it tonight. I really liked it, and don't get all the hate. There were a couple slow-mo action scenes at the "climax" at the end that were a bit too Michael Bay-esque, but I wasn't going in expecting Citizen Kane either. I thought it was a fun and entertaining flick. I liked Leto a lot as well, and think it's an interesting take on the character (still prefer Heath's version though). I got the sense that Leto's Joker is more respected than feared by the other criminals bc he's less of a total wildcard/maniac than Jack or Heath's versions. The Batman stuff was great too!

I don't get all the hate either. The critics are the crazy ones. This is just as enjoyable as any Marvel movie. Its no Dark Knight. Its not a genre definer, but its a fun, enjoyable film - which is all the film ever portrayed itself to be. I mean it is still the first film to make the bad guys the 'good guys' so it will always have that going for it.

I liked this Joker. He was in it far too little. Cutting so much of his clips from the trailer was very odd. I have to imagine there will be an extended cut later. Not sure why they felt the need to cut any Joker stuff out as he's a main selling point of the film for a lot of people. They'd have thought having too much of him would have been better than not enough. He was in it about what I expected him to be in it for and for the reasons I thought he would be in it, so no surprises there. He didn't get to shine though. The story isn't about him and they didn't let him run away with the scenes, so I don't feel we really got a good feel for this Joker yet. Hopefully that solo Batman movie will be about him as the main bad guy because he needs to stretch his legs and really show off.

I was impressed with Deadsmith. I was expecting him to pull the movie down, but he surprised me and actually made the movie in many ways. I didn't expect that. The trailers show him at his Will Smithiness and those are actually pretty brief moments. He's the real hear of this movie so at least they got Deadshot right being the central squad member as he is in the comics. Flagg was surprisingly good too, not just a background soldier character babysitter. Waller was a tough SOB like she should be, great job there.

Going again tomorrow thanks to T-Mobile giving away tickets, and I'm just as excited as I was tonight for it.

I can't help but think of Lil Mayo whenever I see your new avatar :lol

LIL Mayo? :lol Never heard of him, ill check it out

I just remembered all these guys got SKAWD tattoos....

Jeez, poor people.

the crew also got it :lol and some of them got it done by Margot but she Mispelled the tattoo :rotfl:rotfl she wrote SWAD instead of SKWAD

she tattoo someone with SWAD :lol

LIL Mayo? :lol Never heard of him, ill check it out

the crew also got it :lol and some of them got it done by Margot but she Mispelled the tattoo :rotfl:rotfl she wrote SWAD instead of SKWAD

she tattoo someone with SWAD :lol

Jai Courtney's assistant got swadded.

Saw it tonight and don't know what to think yet. First impressions aren't great. There are really good elements but some really, really poor ones too. I'm keeping my thoughts to myself until I see it again to see if the things that bugged me fade away alittle. I will say the trailers sold this to be a much better movie than it is.

And I'm someone who really likes Ultron (I like every Marvel movie for that matter), Man of Steel & BvS, so I'm sure it'll gel better and I'll like it more after a second watch, but this has been the worst first impression of any MCU or DCEU movie thus far

I just remembered all these guys got SKAWD tattoos....

Jeez, poor people.

:lol:lol man Ayer really has them brainwashed. He got them thinking they're the next Avengers

To me, as someone who loved MoS and BvS, it was just too much of a departure, and it kind of felt like a betrayal of all the groundwork Snyder built. I don't give a ****, I like his vision. I like his idea of Superman, and Batman, and Wonder Woman, and, to me, this movie just kind of cheapens them. These heroes are just as defined by their greatest villains as anything else, and, when I think of Batfleck going up against this Joker, it's just...it's terrible, and, when I think that, for all the destruction and the stakes of MoS and BvS, and the gravity they were treated with, only to have this weird thing come out and kind of just rely on pure spectacle, it's disappointing, to say the least.

To me, as someone who loved MoS and BvS, it was just too much of a departure, and it kind of felt like a betrayal of all the groundwork Snyder built. I don't give a ****, I like his vision. I like his idea of Superman, and Batman, and Wonder Woman, and, to me, this movie just kind of cheapens them. These heroes are just as defined by their greatest villains as anything else, and, when I think of Batfleck going up against this Joker, it's just...it's terrible, and, when I think that, for all the destruction and the stakes of MoS and BvS, and the gravity they were treated with, only to have this weird thing come out and kind of just rely on pure spectacle, it's disappointing, to say the least.
This is exactly what I was worried about.

And I'm afraid the JL movie will be more of this.

if they change the W for an O they can just say they are big fans of System of a Down :lol

giphy.gif

I just saw it and frankly I don't understand the critics, it's terrific!
The performances are great, the characters deliver and the story is very straight forward.
I have to wonder about the folks who complained that the movie was confusing, all one needs is an average attention span, it's not rocket science.
Suicide Squad also shines graphically, the villains in particular look phenomenal.
Do yourselves a favor and go see it, it's good stuff.

okay just got out of the theater for my first viewing... minor spoilers ahead

....and I really, really liked it. almost loved it actually but I have to see it a few more times. however, I feel like this flick is getting shamed for no solid reason. the acting is great (more on this in a minute), the complaints about the villain are all a matter of opinion, and the "editing" problems are non existent for the most part as I'm concerned. especially once you get passed the first act, everything melds together fine by the end.

for the last 3 days I've been horrified reading reviews and digesting every article and opinion I could, and for the most part it seemed (just like BvS) that the movie might not meet up to expectations and had audiences divided. well, for myself it did live up to expectations. as someone who is a HUGE DC fan, there were some parts where I absolutely lost my ****, Ayer isn't messing around when it comes to fan service. seeing the page, and cartoons I've grown up on jump to the screen was astonishing and rewarding in my opinion. this is the first DC superhero movie ever, that actually feels like it's based on it's source material.

Robbie's Harley is great, her character and story showed a side of Harley's thinking that's always been hinted at but never to the extent Ayer has taken it. yes, I wish that the more "toxic" relationship scenes between J and Harley weren't cut, but if you didn't know about them almost being there you wouldn't have thought twice about it, and they definitely hint at how devastating their relationship is.

Leto's Joker, and I'm so ****ing glad to be saying this, is not a letdown. he's great and absolutely controls every scene he's in. he is a great joker and I am dying to see what is next for him. it was like watching the 52 Joker come to life. it actually surprised me how much the joker was in this, especially after hearing people exaggerate his screen time down to what seemed like a cameo. don't worry, he has much more screen time then a cameo, and anyone saying this didn't see the same movie as myself. his character drives a lot of Harley's narrative, and gives our "heroes" twist and turns that are classic Joker.

Will Smith did exactly what I wanted him to, he stepped out of the light and let the rest of these characters shine just as much as his. however he has one hell of a kick ass scene.
The only character I wasn't too fond of was Rick Flag, and that's because the guy playing him is absolute trash at acting. Everyone else brings their game.

The storyline is pretty much the same as any other team up movie, and that doesn't bother me in the slightest. but Suicide Squad strives and accomplished what it needed to be, a character flick. it's funny, easy to look at, has awesome performances, a non stop pace, great soundtrack, and in my opinion DC's best in this new U they are struggling to create. I left wanting to go right back in. the super low scores for this blow my mind.

8.5/10 made this guy extremely happy after being prepared for the worst.

to put that score in perspective..

MOS 7.5/10
BvS 7/10
BvS UC 7.5/10
Avengers 9/10
Guardians of the Galaxy 8/10

....and I really, really liked it. almost loved it actually but I have to see it a few more times. however, I feel like this flick is getting shamed for no solid reason. the acting is great (more on this in a minute), the complaints about the villain are all a matter of opinion, and the "editing" problems are non existent for the most part as I'm concerned. especially once you get passed the first act, everything melds together fine by the end.

for the last 3 days I've been horrified reading reviews and digesting every article and opinion I could, and for the most part it seemed (just like BvS) that the movie might not meet up to expectations and had audiences divided. well, for myself it did live up to expectations. as someone who is a HUGE DC fan, there were some parts where I absolutely lost my ****, Ayer isn't messing around when it comes to fan service. seeing the page, and cartoons I've grown up on jump to the screen was astonishing and rewarding in my opinion. this is the first DC superhero movie ever, that actually feels like it's based on it's source material.

Robbie's Harley is great, her character and story showed a side of Harley's thinking that's always been hinted at but never to the extent Ayer has taken it. yes, I wish that the more "toxic" relationship scenes between J and Harley weren't cut, but if you didn't know about them almost being there you wouldn't have thought twice about it, and they definitely hint at how devastating their relationship is.

Leto's Joker, and I'm so ****ing glad to be saying this, is not a letdown. he's great and absolutely controls every scene he's in. he is a great joker and I am dying to see what is next for him. it was like watching the 52 Joker come to life. it actually surprised me how much the joker was in this, especially after hearing people exaggerate his screen time down to what seemed like a cameo. don't worry, he has much more screen time then a cameo, and anyone saying this didn't see the same movie as myself. his character drives a lot of Harley's narrative, and gives our "heroes" twist and turns that are classic Joker.

Will Smith did exactly what I wanted him to, he stepped out of the light and let the rest of these characters shine just as much as his. however he has one hell of a kick ass scene.
The only character I wasn't too fond of was Rick Flag, and that's because the guy playing him is absolute trash at acting. Everyone else brings their game.

The storyline is pretty much the same as any other team up movie, and that doesn't bother me in the slightest. but Suicide Squad strives and accomplished what it needed to be, a character flick. it's funny, easy to look at, has awesome performances, a non stop pace, great soundtrack, and in my opinion DC's best in this new U they are struggling to create. I left wanting to go right back in. the super low scores for this blow my mind.

MOS 7.5/10
BvS 7/10
BvS UC 7.5/10
Avengers 9/10

I pretty much echo everything you have to say there. Just glad the movie was so enjoyable! It is sad to see all the negativity from critics before I even see the movie. Funny, I don't agree with any of them! I am so glad the hype I had for it delivered and I am ready for a Suicide Squad 2 and perhaps Joker taking on Batman in the Batman solo movie.

MOS 7.5/10
BvS 7/10
BvS UC 7.5/10
Avengers 9/10

Well said!

MOS 7.5/10
BvS 7/10
BvS UC 7.5/10
Avengers 9/10

This was a good read ZaCH. One of the more sensible reviews that isn't trying to side with what the critics want us to think. Sounds like you had a great time! :duff

Back