Darth Vader life-size Bust--PREORDER NOW ON PAGE ONE!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Darth Vader life-size Bust

That's just it, Gino. People who want the "representation of the item" will be able to overlook small inaccuracies, which you've been pointing out. By your rationale, then the glue residue, paint drips, etc. should be included on Stormtrooper helmets. Otherwise, they aren't accurate to the prop.

Agreed. And I totally include stuff like that on my own personal pieces.
Of course, I know stuff like that wouldn't fly for licensed pieces.
But I feel I am pretty well in touch with where the line should be drawn for mass marketed pieces as well as which aspects are critical as opposed to which ones can be (ever so slightly) idealized.

:rotfl

Do you understand what accurate means. It doesn't seem so because I don't think you are using it properly.

You realize that my pieces are direct castings off original items right?
Without owning one of the screen used pieces, it is impossible for them to be any closer.

Dun feed the trolls :lol i think you piece kicks ass. that said, I'll go with SS cos its prob more affordable :D

I dont think of it as a movie set. I think of it as another universe. So I'll take a mind blowing representation over a screen accurate prop any day.

No prob. Different strokes for different folks.
I don't have any problem with people who have that preference.

Some people prefer the representation while some people want something as close to what they saw on screen and in old movie pics as possible.

People who like the 'representational' approach to props will no doubt love this piece.
People who are looking for the 'replica film prop' will be disappointed.

It's just frustrating because we could satisfy both camps.
The people who like representational won't be complaining if their pieces were more accurate.

I like it and I'll be getting it.

:vader

Should look sharp with your Grievous ;)

This really changes my plans for a future display, I'll either do 3 Sith Lords setup, or an evil setup with all 4 1:1s I'll have.

My only bummer with this Vader is his head turning left, it would have been cool if it was turned right to compliment the Palpatine with them turned making a bit of a V shape.

Should look sharp with your Grievous ;)

This really changes my plans for a future display, I'll either do 3 Sith Lords setup, or an evil setup with all 4 1:1s I'll have.

My only bummer with this Vader is his head turning left, it would have been cool if it was turned right to compliment the Palpatine with them turned making a bit of a V shape.

Thanks... He will. The missus has already given the green light saying it's a must. :naughty

And great visual idea with the "V"... Shame... I've currently got the 1:1 Grievous posed with the PF but I don't know where I'd put this Vader... I'd almost want him by himself as he's so striking. I think he might be the first SW item to leave my upstairs office and journey into the tv/movie room... I could definitely see him next to the bigscreen.

With Palpatine and Maul I think you'd have a great three stooges--er, sith display. :D

:maul :emperor :vader

It's just frustrating because we could satisfy both camps.
The people who like representational won't be complaining if their pieces were more accurate.

:lecture:lecture:lecture QFT

Gino's Vader is perfection.

The SS will be good enough for most people though.

Gino, how much would a bust version of yours cost? Just curious to compare...

With Palpatine and Maul I think you'd have a great three stooges--er, sith display. :D

:maul :emperor :vader

That or stay with my orignal Palpatine-Maul-Grievous idea and have Vader solo, since likely I'd have the mask off often.

I hope this comes like the Illusive Concepts bust with some sort of display piece to mount the face plate and dome on display when showing off the Anakin portrait.

Gino's Vader is perfection.

The SS will be good enough for most people though.

Thanks.

I don't sell my pieces, but for a company like efx, sideshow, windlass, etc.. to produce a bust like mine (in numbers that we've seen for similar pieces) would be extremely inexpensive to make. Of course you still have to determine that strategic price point. But these can be made inexpensively so there is wiggle room for a price point that the average collector of higher end pieces could afford.

You just have to know how to properly guide it through the production.

That's the important question.

If the price is comparable, then I'd agree Sideshow should step up their game.

If the price difference is like Hasbro 1:6 and Hot Toys 1:6, then people need to forgive Sideshow for small goofs.

Thanks.

I don't sell my pieces, but for a company like efx, sideshow, windlass, etc.. to produce a bust like mine (in numbers that we've seen for similar pieces) would be extremely inexpensive to make. Of course you still have to determine that strategic price point. But these can be made inexpensively so there is wiggle room for a price point that the average collector of higher end pieces could afford.

You just have to know how to properly guide it through the production.

Do you do commissions?

I can't say that I do.
I've made stuff for close friends in the past.
If I was going to offer what I have to the public, I'd want to do it through an official licensed company.

ok. Is SS making these or carrying it for spectral motion? I would not want another museum replicas fiasco. :(

ok. Is SS making these or carrying it for spectral motion? I would not want another museum replicas fiasco. :(

Sideshow produces them, I believe Spectral Motion just lends their technology for the development of the prototype and molds.

Hell yeah. The photo's I've seen of his display could easily be mistaken for photos from the traveling Star Wars exhibit.

I appreciate that, but take a look at the exhibit vaders.
Most of them aren't even screen used costumes but rather promotional suits that don't match what was used on screen.

Here's a quick comparison of mine next to one of the exhibit vaders, and for kicks, mine next to the old licensed vader figure.

minevs.jpg

Pay no attention to the missing hands on my display. It's an old pic.
ginovsrubies_1.jpg

I want to use RP's to save on this bust, but it's only about $100 off, still a lot to pay on my own, and there's a possibility when the time comes to pay up, this piece, no matter how much I hate it, could have to be cancelled, and if I have to do that, I'll have lost the points, so it's like, do I chance it and reduce what I have to pay for him to better my chances of keeping the order, or pay full price and not risk losing all the points it's taken so long to gather.

I'm going to assume you meant to type "love" there, or else I'm still confused. :D You don't earn points on things you spend points on, so assuming this will cost $1000 (just for the sake of argument), you would lose $50 in points just to get that $100 discount.

Oh, and maybe we should save talk about accuracy for after we've seen more than a few glimpses of the bust.

Back