Darren Carnall's creative corner

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: hunky_artist's artistic creations!

Hi there, just none of you think I'm being lazy and sitting on my arse :lol

This is what I'm working on at the moment (sculpt-wise, I'm ignoring weathering the Aragorn outfit and restitching the Obi Wan tunic)

newsculpts.jpg

On the left of the next pic is my old original Anakin sculpt that you've all seen, I was never happy with the close up detail of the piece, so I stripped it down (and half killed it in the process) so I could see my original sculpt underneath the paintwork, as I knew I was going to do it again.

Once my Sith Vader arrived (on the right), I made a cast (new skill... lol) and started resculpting it, which is the one you see in the middle. I'm about halfway through I think. All new details, more accurate than my last attempt, and MUCH cleaner detail. no more chalky bumpy textures this time

and yes.... now that I can cast things ;)

newsculpt.jpg

on the right here we have Obi-Wan (ignore the Aragorn repaint, he just wanted to be in the photo, lol)

I've resculpted the hair on obi-wan, dremelled away in some parts, and added to in others. The hairline is MUCH more accurate now, working with many, many reference photos of obi (and ewan in general). Changes were made to the front and both sides, and I'm very happy with this. Once a few smoothing out bits have been done I'll be painting this so you can see what it looks like.

and yes..... now that I can cast ;)

new%20sculpt.jpg

,..and hunky artist,.,,. your paintings rock!!!,... and you did an awesome anakin and vigo re paintings :chew :chew :chew

Last edited:

thanks Anakin :D (and I finally managed to get Anakin's wig off Aragorn :rotfl )

Nice work! :)

Now that you can cast... can I have a copy of your Anakin and Obi wan heads please? :D

here's a copy and paste of what I put in the other thread:

there seems to be enough interest from genuine Sideshow customers (like myself, the very reason i did this in the first place) who already have bought all of these figures, but simply want a different head on it, and maybe lack the sculpting skills to mess around with it themselves, that I will be making some of these available. I just want to make my costs back for the silicone and resin, and maybe a bit for my time.

Let me say this straight off, and put this to bed. As an artist myself, I hate recasters. People who cast other people's sculpts, and pass it off as their own work... or as a brand new product.

I'm not doing that, this is not a new product... it's simply the easiest way for me to offer resculpting commissions for someone who may want their anakin or obi figure to have a different head. I could of course get people to send me their figures and I could spent a week or two sculpting each head, as I did for my own piece.... or I can do this.

It simply lets me resculpt each person's figure... without actually having to resculpt it every single time. I see this as being no different from Les or DA or CustomMikey (or myself for that matter) doing custom repaints for people.

I hope all of you see it the same way... because all i want is for people to get the same joy out of these (amazingly produced) figures that I get myself.

That said........ (to the initial question) yes.... I will

Custom heads/repaints (or even pieces of art... I am an artist first and foremost after all, lol) are but a pm or email away

Darren

Awesome work HA, that Anakin sculpt is really looking sooooo good now. Remember my WIP? (I go by the name "diesaturn" on OSW). I completely resculpted the hair on mine...again.:lol

again?? email me some pics or something.. i wanna see dammit lol

I tried to post some pics here, but it wouldn't work due to the size restrictions here. I'd really like to share some pics here, there's some awesome work here! I'll try to resize some of mine & I might post a few over at OSW as well.

I want one of your Anakin heads, They rock!:chew

Just a few updates... hope to have Anakin sculpted by Monday or Tuesday, and Obi painted the day after (hopefully) lol

Anakins got some work to do still, but you get the idea.... a more detailed sculpt than last time, and I can't wait to get this up and on my shelf again!

ani1.jpg

ani2.jpg

ani3.jpg

Obi-Wan's face was just fine, (although if i got REALLY anal I could have changed things.... lol) but his hairline was totally wrong. I changed his right sideburns to be flatter and blend into the beard better, his right flick of a fringe (bangs in america?) was too long, so i shortened it, the hairline on his forehead was too high and the wrong shape, I gave him a proper 'part' where you'll see his scalp go up between the parts of the hair, and gave him a new hairline and a few flicks of hair on his left side.

Can't wait to get this thing painted

ob1.jpg

ob2.jpg

ob3.jpg

ob4.jpg

Anyway I need these to be finished and out there... because I'm dying to do Qui Gons hair now.. lol

That's right, I invested in some silicone and resin. Never done it before but I'm really pleased with the results. Especially as it was my first time... it's not cheap buying the stuff though, but I think it's really worth it to be able to replicate my resculpts, or any original pieces I do myself in the future.

I can't wait to have both versions of Anakin cast and painted up here. Only problem is that I might have to buy another Obi-Wan to go with Sith Vader now :rotfl

Man, those are both looking amazing! I can't wait to see them finished.

Here's my first cast from the Anakin mold of the resculpt. I'm still having some trouble with bubbles getting caught in the points of the hair that flick out, but other than that, the cast looks good. The face works really well. with regards to the ends of the hair being lost to the bubbles.....I'm working on it. I've done three so far, not quite there yet, so I'll have to pick up again tomorrow morning. I hope I can get it done with this mold I made, otherwise I'll be ordering some more silicone to do another one (I used the last of it)

(I've (hopefully) fixed the problem I was having with the Obi-Wan mold, and I'll know about that tomorrow when I can take my next test cast (I've done like, 7 casts already... before I realised I had a problem. Eek!) I have a head back on my Obi body which I've started painting too. Lots going on basically

why do I always have to be over ambitious :lol

firstcast.jpg

firstcast2.jpg

firstcast3.jpg

I finally managed to get Aragorn finished off while I was waiting for resin to set in between jobs, so here's my quick write up copied from the Aragorn Image thread in the LOTR section :)

right here we go... unfortunately I'm pressed for time so I can't do much of a write up yet. As usual the photos dont represent what I see in person on my display shelf, but I didnt use proper lights or a tripod... but you get the idea of it anyway

the quick description of what I did is.......

repainted the face (obviously)
sanded the jacket to remove the sheen
painted the jacket with a wash of 'mud' coloured liquid.. just to remove the sheen further
used scalpels/scissors/screwdrivers/drill bits and anything else i could lay my hands on to make the bottom hems of the jacket/sleeves/inner tunic more worn.... more like the prototype we saw
painted the jacket with splashes of mud etc.... dry brushing... flicking... fingers... anything was used
painted the inner tunic with a mixture of black and dark brown, to make it much darker and closer to what we saw on screen
mudded up the boots
painted the inner shirt with a wash of black to make it darker, and look more worn, and sewed the collar together (temporarily with black cotton, to be replaced) to give it the accurate 'buttoned up' look
sewed down one of the collars of the tunic to give it a folded over look
painted the string ties of the tunic with craft glue and hung weights off them to make them 'hang down' like the real string... mine were all over the place and didnt look scale accurate at all
painted the patch on his jacket sleeve black (almost) the light brown was not screen accurate
folded over the back of the tunic, to make it look better fitting at tthe front, and sewed it in place

...and probably other stuff that I can't remember right now... I'm typing as fast as I can here 'cause I have to run out in a sec, lol. Anyway.. if i remember anything, I'll be back at some point.... enjoy

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

right.... now back on with my other jobs!

Darren

Last edited:

thanks Les... now I got this finished I can try to get the Anakin and Obi's finished casting. it's hard this time of year to juggle doing that, with doing typical family Christmas stuff, lol

The way I figured out to do the Anakin heads and keep the details on the hair sculpted pieces I did (over ambitious shape for my first cast) needs quite a bit of dremelling and clean up work on each one i do... which means it takes ages

but I don't mind 'cause I'm learning tons doing this, which will be good for when I sculpt my own heads from scratch (I'm desperate to do sixth scale General Zod, Ursa and Non fromSuperman II.... we'll see) ;)

Back