Dark Toys 1/6 Rick Deckard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Asta, sounds like you are a little less thrilled by this figure in hand than many others. Were you just built up a bit too much for what it is?

The best parts are the clothes, which would be worth the total cost if you were putting parts together for a higher end custom.

The gun is a poor recast, but you only notice that up close, or especially when compared to Supermad's (which may itself have been the donor).

The sculpts have that unfinished look about them as though they missed a painting stage. That's really unusual for Redman as their paint apps are usually quite detailed, at least on the figures I have of theirs. If they hadn't cut corners here this would've been a bigger winner, as the recast of the Buffy sculpt came out well.

With lighting you can get away with leaving the sculpts as stock, though they still have that lacking quality about them.

The whisky bottle is effective, but it won't stand up because the base is uneven.

The Voight-Kampff machine is just a lump of cheap looking plastic.

This set is really about the clothes, but then they messed up the shirt collar pattern even though they had a perfectly good 'prototype' to copy. Overall, the outfit is a lot better than it might've been.

The sculpt paint is a lot worse than it should've been, so my verdict on the figure is that it's adequate, but not as outstanding as they could easily have made it.

He showed up today! I've completed my Harrison Ford trifecta!!!

View attachment 561474

And I don't see any need for a repaint.
So what I see here is a reminder of how poor the DX-05 Indy was to Harrison Ford. ( I still have that figure and it looks like the HS between the DT and HT seem similar in size--the issue will be porting the DT necked HS to the INDY (obviously will need a new underlying body for that.) This is something that I am going to tackle soon. (the other very obvious issue will be getting the fedora to fit the DT head sculpt - looks like dremel tool will be needed.)

The best parts are the clothes, which would be worth the total cost if you were putting parts together for a higher end custom.

The gun is a poor recast, but you only notice that up close, or especially when compared to Supermad's (which may itself have been the donor).

The sculpts have that unfinished look about them as though they missed a painting stage. That's really unusual for Redman as their paint apps are usually quite detailed, at least on the figures I have of theirs. If they hadn't cut corners here this would've been a bigger winner, as the recast of the Buffy sculpt came out well.

With lighting you can get away with leaving the sculpts as stock, though they still have that lacking quality about them.

The whisky bottle is effective, but it won't stand up because the base is uneven.

The Voight-Kampff machine is just a lump of cheap looking plastic.

This set is really about the clothes, but then they messed up the shirt collar pattern even though they had a perfectly good 'prototype' to copy. Overall, the outfit is a lot better than it might've been.

The sculpt paint is a lot worse than it should've been, so my verdict on the figure is that it's adequate, but not as outstanding as they could easily have made it.

Well this is much more reasoned review than I was expecting. So at least my own expectations will be mediated.

I have no Deckard currently, and always wanted one... figured this looked to be a solid version based on so many reviews. I must admit, I'm now second guessing a bit since I haven't placed my order yet.

Well this is much more reasoned review than I was expecting. So at least my own expectations will be mediated.

I have no Deckard currently, and always wanted one... figured this looked to be a solid version based on so many reviews. I must admit, I'm now second guessing a bit since I haven't placed my order yet.

I think it's the best option for a cheap (i.e., non high end custom) young Deckard.

The way I'm thinking of it is this: it's a budget low end figure where the clothes, particularly the coat, are inordinately better than the quality of most of the other parts.

In the past Redman have made figures that were made to a higher standard overall, such as their Good, Bad, Ugly, For A Few Dollars More or Josey Wales. Never had trouble photographing those sculpts!

Looking back at the original 'prototype' photos, the clothes may well have been their own because they were replicated remarkably well on the production figure, but the sculpt was probably an original:

185735o9ei9fl9geg6111t.jpeg

The sculpt in that photo has skin texture, a visible chin scar and lifelike paint. The production recast is smooth, the scar seems missing, and the paintwork is uncharacteristically weak.

Ironically, the production sculpts look like plastic skinned androids!

As Deckard should be. ;)

Thanks for the explanation.

Putting it into context, he's lightyears ahead of Premier's Mythos style Mad Max that got virtually nothing right.

Deckard is a largely accurate figure, barring the odd decision on the shirt collar. You could live with him out of the box, though the body swap did seem to help with the neck length.

The heads benefit from subdued lighting where the shadows bring some life to the sculpt. I can't get my head around painting sculpts, but I want to try to something with the bloody one. Maybe just very subtle shading to accentuate the recesses in the skin, so the face doesn't have that flat, smooth unreality.

The head is something I feel I can live with based on pictures... it's quite a bit better than I expected honestly... but I will likely do a little touch-up work myself also, at least a wash and eyebrow correction. The collar I will absolutely fix, and looking forward to it.

My original intent for picking up this figure was for the outfit/clothing, to upgrade my custom and for the accessories, which appeared cool. The head sculpts were gravy, with the possibility of reusing one for a custom Indy and the other on my old custom Deckard. Based on the pics shared and Asta's reviews, I'm ok with it so far.

I

Based on pictures, I've decided this portrait is going to need a repaint. Who here can point me to someone who has the skills and is stateside?

The head is something I feel I can live with based on pictures... it's quite a bit better than I expected honestly... but I will likely do a little touch-up work myself also, at least a wash and eyebrow correction. The collar I will absolutely fix, and looking forward to it.
What wash would you use to do the job? Can you also recommend a wash for dirty clothes too? This is for another figure…

The collar is fine to stand up on its own, or just the back. The stiffness is about where you'd want it to be; but that means it needs some help/tape/other to keep it sitting flat.

Speaking of which, my tshirt I wanted to use the collar from arrived and the colour was brown, but not really close. I lucked out on my first dyeing attempt and I think this will make for a decent improvement to the ridge design.

P2100142.JPG

This isn't an accurate representation of the colour.. my camera's really pushing the red, the brown is far less ruddy, and more the milk chocolate brown colour of the jacket in the movie.

Last edited:
I managed to get my hands on a decent priced DT Deckard! So I will be able to play in this sandbox too.

:yess:
Just don't poop in it! :ROFLMAO: Glad you were able to find one. I need to get some recommendations on someone here in the U.S. who might be able to repaint the eyebrows and add some washes to the sculpt.

I think it's the best option for a cheap (i.e., non high end custom) young Deckard.

The way I'm thinking of it is this: it's a budget low end figure where the clothes, particularly the coat, are inordinately better than the quality of most of the other parts.

In the past Redman have made figures that were made to a higher standard overall, such as their Good, Bad, Ugly, For A Few Dollars More or Josey Wales. Never had trouble photographing those sculpts!

Looking back at the original 'prototype' photos, the clothes may well have been their own because they were replicated remarkably well on the production figure, but the sculpt was probably an original:

185735o9ei9fl9geg6111t.jpeg

The sculpt in that photo has skin texture, a visible chin scar and lifelike paint. The production recast is smooth, the scar seems missing, and the paintwork is uncharacteristically weak.

Ironically, the production sculpts look like plastic skinned androids!

You'd think I'd have learned by now, but I'm always disappointed when the end product doesn't live up to the prototype!

You'd think I'd have learned by now, but I'm always disappointed when the end product doesn't live up to the prototype!
No doubt , especially when it came to SS Star Wars. There were a few that lived up to the prototypes and even a couple that exceed expectations but usually when it came to the humans it was a rule of thumb to lower expectations . I should have mine next week so I will have final judgement then . I will say that from the pics I have seen it doesn't look that bad , and some of the fixes are cheap and easy . A replacement body nowadays is pretty cheap , I just need to decided if I can live with the paint job if I can find someone and afford to have the paint tweaked ?

Back